"Cure" vs "Remission"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by markluke, Oct 24, 2013.

1. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A baby was born with HIV, treated aggressively, no sign of the virus for 18 months and yet the doctors hesitate to call her cured.

"Doctors now have convincing evidence that they put HIV into remission, hopefully for good, in a Mississippi baby born with the AIDS virus — a medical first that is prompting a new look at how hard and fast such cases should be treated.The case was reported earlier this year but some doctors were skeptical that the baby was really infected rather than testing positive because of exposure to virus in the mom's blood.
    The new report, published online Wednesday by the New England Journal of Medicine, makes clear that the girl, now 3, was infected in the womb. She was treated unusually aggressively and shows no active infection despite stopping AIDS medicines 18 months ago. Doctors won't call it a cure because they don't know what proof or how much time is needed to declare someone free of HIV infection, long feared to be permanent. "

Then you have Robin who has (note the tense) Stage IV endometrial cancer, accompanied by removal of the tumor, her uterus and probably part of her colon, and she's "cured" after a handful of months?

Give me some of that medical marijuana that she has to be smoking...

2. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    cured is a dangerous fucking word. Blobbin should know better than to play w fire

3. markluke

Reputations:
    Not with a 25% or less 5 year survival rate for her type of cancer.

4. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    If you want to sell books, you say you're cured.

5. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    She's eating a lot more than she is smoking.:jj:

6. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    if she is cured why cant she come to work

7. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My brother lasted 3 1/2 years. With painful Chemo-radiation treatments, the cancer would go into remission for a couple months but then eventually come back. A Doctor saying Robin is cured from stage IV after a few months is pretty irresponsible.

8. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    With any cancer regardless of which one it is the doctor's don't consider you "cured" until 5 years after your last surgery or treatment. Even after the 5 years most patients are very reluctant to say they are "cured" for fear something may come back again one day. I also know definitely within that 5 year time frame you need to go for constant check-ups and scans, even for more benign cancers most patients are very cautious and reluctant about their condition. With Robin announcing she is "cured" so quickly after her treatment smacks of arrogance to me, you would think after her ordeal she would learn some humility.

9. markluke

Reputations:
    Unless the doctor was that podiatrist "close friend" of hers

10. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If the cancer spread to her lymph system and I believe she mentioned that it did, she's toast. The lymphatic system is like a super highway for cancer cells to spread anywhere in the body. They may have contained the cancer "for now" but any oncologist/doctor worth his/her salt would never use the word cured. I bet she said she was cured for Howard's sake. We all know that Robin is like a surrogate mommy to Howard. She probably already knows the truth and knows her time is limited. I'll bet the cancer returns within the next eighteen months or so. I hope I'm wrong. As much as I despise Robin, I really don't wish her any ill will. I hope she is "cured" but I doubt it.

11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Someone on SFN posted a link to a medical journal article that stated that there is a re-occurence of cancer in more than 70% of cases similar to Robin's. That re-occurence usually happens within the first two years, so she's got the better part of a year to go before a doctor would even talk about being cancer free.

12. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I prefer The Cure. "Disintegration" is one of the best albums ever.

boo.

13. koclem

Reputations:
    Whats you opinion on the Mixed Up remix album? that is one of my favorites by them

14. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I have not heard it. Shame on me, and I will certainly be checking that one out.

15. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've said this since she came out of the cancer closet. People in remission sell less books then people who are miraculously cured. If she has any brains at all she'll listen to Tommy chong and start eating 1 gram of concentrated Thc (howards hash oil or even better, wax) a day for 60 days. There have been a lot of people who claim this is what cured them after chemo/radiation had failed.

16. koclem

Reputations:
    wax is nasty, they use solvents and it cant be trusted. go canna caps

[​IMG]

17. benjysux

benjysux New Member

Reputations:
    Have we heard a doctor say she is cured? Or has it just come from her mouth...between bites of cupcakes and fish sandwiches?

18. benjysux

benjysux New Member

Reputations:

When i was using I got some tincture from a grower in Oregon... good stuff. Put a little in some tea, put on the Bob Marley...

19. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    there is no cure for cancer, just long term remission