Sports Dale Earnhardt JR's race season is over; career in doubt?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ben Dover, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Source: USA Today

Ridiculously popular driver in NASCAR, but nowhere near the talent of his late father. Posted in case anyone is watching tonight's Southern 500, I'm sure they will be talking about it endlessly

Dale Earnhardt Jr.: 'I definitely don't belong in a race car today'
    Mike Hembree, Special for USA TODAY Sports4:29 p.m. EDT September 4, 2016

[​IMG]

USA TODAY Sports' Jeff Gluck explains why Dale Earnhardt Jr. is done for the season and which drivers will replace him during his absence. USA TODAY Sports

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY

Current and former drivers, fans stand by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Earnhardt, 41, hasn’t raced since July 9. His latest problems apparently stem from a crash at Michigan International Speedway June 12 (although he raced after that crash).

Earnhardt has missed six races and will not drive in the season’s remaining 12 races.Jeff Gordon will replace him in Sunday night’s Bojangles’ Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway, and Gordon and Alex Bowman will split driving duties in the No. 88Chevrolet for the rest of the year.

“I think it’s the right decision considering how I feel,” Earnhardt said. “I definitely don’t belong in a race car today by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t know how long this process is going to take. We want to be healthy and able to compete at some point.”

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY

Dale Earnhardt Jr. makes right call, sets example for next generation

Dr. Micky Collins of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Sports Medicine Concussion Program is a part of Earnhardt’s treatment team. He participated in a Darlington Raceway press conference Sunday with Earnhardt and Rick Hendrick, Earnhardt’s team owner.

Collins spoke in stark terms about Earnhardt’s condition.

“Our goal is to see him become a human being again,” Collins said. “He’s feeling better. He can tolerate a lot more. Our second goal is Dale becoming a race car driver again. I’m very confident we’re moving in that direction.

“The systems that are injured for Dale are the systems that make Dale Earnhardt Dale Earnhardt — his ability to sustain focus and stabilize his vision when he moves his head and interpret complex visual information. It’s a different set of skills than any of us have.

“When I first saw Dale a month and a half ago, I can tell you he was pretty sick. He was having problems with the vestibular (inner ear and brain) system, with the ocular (vision) system and with some anxiety and mood issues that are very much associated with these problems. He has made progress where we can match treatments that can treat those different problems. Over the last two and a half weeks, the fruits of that labor are paying off.”

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY SPORTS

Dario Franchitti texting Dale Earnhardt Jr. about concussions

Earnhardt, who wore prescription glasses to the press conference, has said he has had problems with vision and balance. He described Sunday “going to Target or somewhere and I have symptoms and might stumble across an aisle or need more sidewalk than a normal guy.”

He described feeling relatively comfortable at home “but losing about 20 percent when I leave the house.”

Earnhardt is working daily on exercises to improve his vision and balance.

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY

Experts stress caution with Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s future

Hendrick said he and his team are planning on Earnhardt’s return in February 2017 and the start of next season.

“He (Earnhardt) is like a member of the family,” Hendrick said. “I care about him as a person probably as much or more than as a race car driver. I’ve been concerned. I’ve been surprised how hard he’s worked. I want him to race for me as long as he can. The seat is his.”

A decision on Earnhardt’s availability for the new season probably will need to be made no later than December because of sponsor concerns and the need to choose a replacement if he can’t return.

2. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Jeff Gordon still races? :wtf:

3. HelloCleveland!

HelloCleveland! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    OMG I thought he retired. They made such a big deal last year - this is his last season!
    :rolleyes:

4. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's never had the drive or dedication. He just wants to hang with the boys
    [​IMG]

5. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Oh calm down, I haven't followed this shit in years, excuse me for being shocked.

6. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    God damn it I miss his daddy. Honest to God, I stopped watching nascar the day he died.

[​IMG]

7. jeffgq

jeffgq -Is a "Florida Man"

Reputations:
    its like the Kiss farewell tour..that started in 1996

lovetalkradio and stanggirl like this.
  8. Ben Dover

Reputations:
    He did retire after last season, but agreed to fill in when his schedule allowed, if Earnhardt was unable to race

kingship and JameGumb like this.
  9. HelloCleveland!

HelloCleveland! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You calm down, bub! :D

All Jeff Gordon did is retire from full time Sprint Cup racing. You'll see him again, either in this series at the big races at Daytona, Indy or as a road course ringer. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him try the Indy 500 at some point.

Stag likes this.
  10. Eclipse754

Eclipse754 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only a guy that drives a Chevy can anticipate this..

Jr³ has little to prove anymore. He will never live up to his Dad's legacy. Retire and have a long happy life.

HypocriteHowie likes this.
  11. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Improper use of sports tag.

Video games are as much of a "sport" as nascar

Please edit with proper tag

12. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

There have been rumors for years, once called the most eligible bachelor with a million women lined up to get him, that all sort of faded away over night. He did always say his sister was his best friend on top of being his manager, the signs are there.

About his concussions, if he's having that serious of problems now at 41, damn, he'll be drooling and need to be on a leach by 50! :doh:

13. Ben Dover

Reputations:
    I questioned his sexual preference for a long time also, as you never heard about him dating women. As it turns out, he's been dating a girl named Amy for several years, and they got engaged in Germany during last year's race season.

[​IMG]

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  14. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Heard about him having relationships before. One time, even dating a fan. Just private about it, like his life.
    Damn, everything that has to be see he/she w/out someone? Gay rumours!

FosterKitten and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  15. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Stated this once before......Back before NASCAR as a whole went down the shitter in popularity......They did one of those ESPN behind the scenes with D' Jr.
    And they did a tour of his digs and one of the things that he was very proud of......Was the boxing ring he had, and that he and his friends delighted in beating
    the shit out of each other......Betcha' he's suffering from concussions that he's been getting for years from his Buds.....................

16. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dale Sr is in the same category as guys like Ayrton Senna. Pretty lame to say that Jr isn't as good as his Dad, because no one is.

ShutUpSitDown likes this.
  17. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I only follow Harvick because he's an asshole and from Bakersfield.

18. potroast

Reputations:
    Harvick is cool. He don't take no shit from anyone.

ShutUpSitDown likes this.
  19. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Dale Sr. stole the "Intimidator" Schtick from A.J. Foyt............And he wasn't a hair on A.J.'s Nutsack....................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. potroast

Reputations:
    The announcer Ken Squire is 87 years old. :wtf:

Ned Jarrett is 83.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.