Dallas cop suspended for illegal stop, illegal arrest and slamming door on guy's leg

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lucky Pierre, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    DALLAS — The Dallas County Sheriff's Department has issued a 38-day suspension to a deputy who stopped a motorcycle rider without cause and seized his helmet camera.

The raw video of the Memorial Day weekend arrest by Deputy James Westbrook has been seen by almost half a million people around the world on YouTube.

The suspension — which Westbrook can appeal — amounts to almost two months off without pay.

“I think we should applaud the agency," said Dr. Robert Taylor, a criminal justice expert at the University of Texas at Dallas. "There were days in American law enforcement when nothing would've happened. And those weren't too far off."

However, Taylor said other departments would have surely fired Westbrook.

Westbrook made the arrest on Memorial Day weekend, when local law enforcement departments were on high alert. They wanted to prohibit reckless behavior by motorcycle riders on the anniversary of a biker event where they shut down North Central Expressway in Dallas and sprayed graffiti on the road.

During his arrest of biker Chris Moore, Westbrook said: "The reason you're being pulled over is because I'm gonna take your camera and we're gonna use it as evidence of in the crimes that have been committed by other bikers."

It is not illegal to wear a camera on your helmet. And experts say Westbrook’s reason did not constitute probable cause to make a traffic stop.

But what bothers Taylor more than Westbrook's traffic stop is the deputy's verbal outbursts and how he slammed the squad car door on the biker's leg.

"Those are the kinds of things that smack of all the ugly things we see in law enforcement,” Taylor said.

Hunter Biederman, Moore's lawyer, said Westbrook should have been fired. "I think they're sending the message that what he did was okay,” Biederman said.

He is prepared to take this to trial, a rare step for a small offense. But Biederman said it was necessary after his client was arrested, mistreated, and then held in the Dallas County Jail.

"I don't think this person should be out patrolling our streets. I don't that type of person should be stopping and arresting our citizens,” he said.

Prior to responding to the biker situation, Westbrook had arrested a drunk driver. Eight of Westbrook's 38 suspension days were related to him leaving his prisoner at the jail without booking him in while he went out on the biker call.

Deputy Westbrook declined to comment on the case to News 8. He has not served the suspension yet and can still appeal.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Sheriff-suspends-deputy-who-seized-bikers-camera-169543346.html

Fast forward til the 3 minute mark at least, the action starts at the 6:25 mark
    [video=youtube;eyYlRZAdPGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk[/video]

2. Harry Gibbs

Harry Gibbs the boss of all men

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;BSvD5SM_uI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvD5SM_uI4[/video]

3. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;JBcKAg4bDQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=JBcKAg4bDQo&NR=1[/video]

4. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And people wonder why so many fucking hate the police. Those best suited to become proper police officers are smart enough not to become police officers. So we get stuck with a bunch of unethical idiots that are power hungry and have anger issues.

5. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe MLaw can tell us...

If the stop is determined to be illegal, does that mean anything found at that stop (even drugs) is inadmissible?

The cop says himself, "the reason I pulled you over is to confiscate your (100% legal) helmet" and then arrests him for an "obstructed plate" which, even if it were true, would only be a citation.

6. Popeye Saavedra

Reputations:
    And since when do you get arrested for an obstructed license plate (even if it was obstructed which it appears that it wasn't)?

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    If he pulled him over for the obstructed plate and drugs were discovered (plain view or pat down before securing the guy in his police car) then the probable cause would be fine (legit traffic stop). In this situation with the dummy saying he stopped him because of the camera then any evidence found after would get likely get tossed.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    This. Dawg had a good thread this weekend about it.

9. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
    :bigcry:

10. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:

I support Stop & Frisk :dancin:

11. Harry Gibbs

Harry Gibbs the boss of all men

Reputations:
    i'm going to stop an frisk your fat b-hole.

12. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I aint watching all that shit, but it's time to start arresting rogue cops and throwing them in jail. They are the ultimate bullies.

13. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    Oooh! Can I bring a date?

14. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I understand that some people have been mistreated or have seen people mistreated so I can see why a segment of the population mistrusts and dislikes the police. There is a segment of the population also that hate the police because they've been assholes their whole life and hate authority. That's fine as well.....to say that all of the hate is justified is a stretch......lots of spoiled brats that hate the police because it makes them feel "gangsta".

My level of intelligence is certainly open to debate but I take minor offense to the comment that if I was suited to the job that I'd be smart enough not to take it. Looking back on my career sometimes I think taking this job wasn't my smartest choice but I have been lucky enough to be able to say that I've made a positive difference (absolutely) in some lives and have treated others fairly. Have I made some mistakes? Sure but I own up to it, learn from it and move on. The overwhelming majority of officers I work with do an excellent, professional job under very tough circumstances. Of course there are others that I won't work with because they are incompetent, lazy, dangerous or "shady" (just a feeling, if I had actually evidence I'd rat like a mutha fucker) and I am in full support of appropriate and strict punishment for bad cops.

BTW......no chip on my shoulder, anger issues and I'm certainly not power hungry. I just want to go to work, handle what needs handled with as little drama as possible and make it home safely. Pretty simple.

Flame away!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. Lemmy

Reputations:
    As far as the video.......that cop, IMO, is an idiot. It was an improper stop and he is a spaz. The door slam on the leg wasn't what I expected from the description. Certainly still wrong but it looked to be due to him being a spaz and frustrated with poor anger control more than an intent to harm.

Poor training and supervision are to blame here as well. This cop should know better and his bosses should have caught and dealt with his people skills prior to this incident. Just my opinion.

16. Popeye Saavedra

Reputations:
    It's the Internet. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I overgeneralize for the sake of brevity. :hat:Please don't beat me. :c

17. Mur

Mur soon VIP

Reputations:
    I couldn't do that job. I would have tased him for being a wise ass. :c

18. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:

With all due respect, saying this is a training issue is making an excuse for his actions. Do you know of any other police that are so poorly trained that they don't know any better than to do what this guy did? I've had no training whatsoever and would know not to do that. Hopefully this guy will straighten out after having a month to think about it.

Dallas cops are out of control. They have been getting away with abuse for years. The new chief (well, at least 2 years on the job) talks a good game but the jury is still out. Dallas is surrounded by fantastic police departments. I saw a North Richland Hills cop this weekend on his hands and knees on the freeway in the middle of a dangerous construction area, changing a tire for a woman. My many encounters with the various police due to my tendency to drive a little fast have been nothing but professional.

19. Lemmy

Reputations:
    No, no......not making excuses at all. I'm just saying that somewhere the wheels came off. Either he slipped through the cracks and should have never been hired cause he's an untrainable loon. Or the system that trained him failed by not addressing his shortcomings and ensuring that he knows his job and the rules/laws involved. Or possibly he is normally a competent police officer that one day just royally fucked up. I have no idea.....was just saying that training/supervision could be a factor but ultimately there is no one to blame for his actions but himself.

I know police officers that were trained properly but they are such dopes that they don't get it and the system in place (political) allows them to continue with the hope that they squeak by without a major catastrophe. Every job has people that shouldn't be doing it and the police department is no different.....but the consequences may be worse.

20. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    That's were the tern "fruit of the poisonous tree" comes from, so none of the evidence is admissible.