WTF Dan aka D.A. aka D.B. Cooper (show spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ChimneySweep, Jul 12, 2016.

1. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I only saw a couple mentions in some daily threads after searching, but no thread about the new show that aired Sun-Mon?

Thoughts, anyone?

I've been fascinated by this case since I read about it as a kid back in the '70s. What did everyone think of the new show? Too long? yes, but still a decent watch, IMO even though the teasers and recaps made it an hour too long. of course (just like the oak Island show) if they really proved anything it would be all over the news before the show ever aired so you knew going in there would be no real answers.

*They made a compelling case for the Rackstraw guy, but it doesn't seem like he is the guy to me (as bad as I'd love him to be). I think he likely was the guy pretending to be "Norman", but by the end, it didn't seem like they had enough evidence to prove he was Cooper. The pilot and especially the stewardess' denial of him was pretty damning. Say what you want about people forgetting, etc, but she spent hours with him and I think would have recognized certain similarities to his voice/speaking/mannerisms having re-lived the whole thing in her mind a million times since it happened. it's not like asking you what some guy was wearing 40 years after the fact if you hadn't thought about it since. I also doubt the other passenger paid as much attention to Cooper as he claims at the time. Only after the fact, he probably tried to remember shit.

Sucks that the FBI (understandably) can't just say WHY they seem to KNOW he definitely wasn't the guy even back in '79. They probably place him elsewhere or something with 100% certainty, but can't say so? I figure if he WAS Cooper, he'd straight-up deny it so the fact that he kind of leads people along makes me believe he is in no danger of actually ever being convicted of the crime.

*Anyone think it could have been the other guy who did the same stunt right after Cooper, or was he just a copy-cat? I think he was killed later in a shoot-out with police, but was he definitely ruled out? The guy the "witness" mistook Rackstraw's photo for?

*White-haired reporter guy was a douche with the ambush interview and fucked up what could have been an interesting part of the story even if he isn't Cooper. TF was he thinking? Anyone would have been annoyed at the way he went about shit.

*Funny how they basically called the blonde chick with the uncle bat-shit crazy without coming out and saying it. Was she hinting it was all some false-flag shit or something? They didn't show exactly what she was saying.

* Money-find segment was told all fucked up and confused the hell out of me half the show. Were they saying the drug dealer planted the money and they magically found it (totally unlikely) or (what I eventually assumed) that he knew they had some of the cash and were going to "pretend" to "find" it to collect the reward (not knowing they wouldn't by then)? Either the mob guy (or his friend) was bullshitting 100% and made up the story after the fact or they were implying they were in on faking the "discovery" to either collect the reward or to cast doubt that Copper survived the jump, which is what most seemed to believe after the money was found. It obviously wasn't on that beach for all those years in the state they found it in. Anyhow, that part was confusing as fuck. Has ANY of the rest of the money ever been found/spent matching the serial numbers? I have my doubt s about the guy's kid finding the money. I think him apparent nervousness was due to him being worried about being suspected/busting for lying to police to try to collect the reward money. Either way, he struck me as one of the bad lairs that you see on Cops.

*They only ever hinted at the way "Cooper" was dressed a few times. Could anyone have survive for long in that weather if he hadn't stashed a coat or something? Would it have been no big deal? Could he have had insulated clothing underneath his suit or something? They never really said if it was possible (or likely) but only mentioned what someone else "would have done" if they were Cooper. Even if he COULD survive, would he have made it that tough on himself knowing it might not be easy.

*What's with not correcting the name all those years ago? If he never went by "D.B." and it was a result of a reporting fuckup, why did the name stick in the first place? I never understood that. I read the story a lot as a kid and don't remember them ever trying to clear that up until recent stories (that I remember anyway).

Bottom line for me: Just for once I'd love to see one of these "mystery" cases solved. Someone should launch a crowd-fund campaign to raise the equivalent of the stolen cash (if it even matter at this point...probably a dumb idea) and then pressure the government to grant amnesty to Cooper if he would come forward with solid proof (with the blessing of the pilots/stewardess maybe?).

SalsMasterShake and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  2. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

squigglyline likes this.
  3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:

FeetToTaste likes this.
  4. Gunt

Gunt I don't have time to teach you to speak hobo. Gold

Reputations:
    Always loved the In Search Of episode about DB.

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  5. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i was going to watch part 2 ondemand earlier this morning but they havent put it up yet. i saw the first part but only some of the second. i enjoyed the show. i remember when db did the jump in 71. we were all abuzz, it was a huge story. :bee:

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  6. Drungle

Drungle VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought it was a let down. I waited a couple of weeks to find out that the FBI has basically closed the case. It was like in Spinal Tap when they said that the authorities thought the death of one of their drummers was "best left unsolved". The last ten minutes when the reporters didn't want to accept that the guy they thought was Cooper isn't, was probably my favorite part.

GoshGeeGolly, Donkeyboy2190 and ljc like this.
  7. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They do catch them sometimes. They did catch John List. He killed his family in Westfield New Jersey in 1971. The trail was cold and they had no idea what happened to him. In the late 80's Americas most wanted did a story on him. They included a picture of him aged to what he would look like in the late 80's. Someone saw it and reported him. He was nabbed a week later.

8. You Knew!

You Knew! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds really interesting, but you didn't mention the name of the show. What is it? I'd like to watch it.

Drungle and Petal like this.
  9. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do cooper is my neighbor
    I fix things in his house
    He pays in silver dollars
    Weird

Nice guy though

Drungle and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  10. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    the John List thing was a forensic artist who created a bust of him that was almost picture perfect right down to the glasses he would be wearing. I just read a book about the guy that did the bust. Supposedly the guys is/was a genius.

Wiki on the forensic artist (Frank Bender)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Bender

11. dancearmstrong

dancearmstrong Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The money thing as well as this "Norman" guy were the only intriguing parts of it for me. I'm usually interested in these types of shows, but there were too many people who look alike and too many aliases for me to keep people straight.

Some guy at a party tells someone else..."See those folks over there? They're gonna find some of the DB Cooper money." Then a bit later those folks actually find it??? Either they were in cahoots or it's the worlds biggest coincidence.

Drungle likes this.
  12. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    Typical History Channel show. All set up and no resolution. Monster Quest was like that every episode

SalsMasterShake and Drungle like this.
  13. Donkeyboy2190

Reputations:
    Galen Cook has a good theory in who he thinks it is and it seems really compelling. He's been on Coast to Coast a few times with it.

14. Donkeyboy2190

Reputations:
    I found the Tina Mickloew interview interesting. She NEVER gives interviews so that was a really good get for the show. I thought no one knew where she was any more.

15. crash83

crash83 Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    There is a poster on here gwarty or the other one with a similar name that is dating the daughter of the couple that was some kind of friend of DB Cooper I'm sure he will way in when he sees this.

stanggirl likes this.
  16. dancearmstrong

dancearmstrong Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They did that too with a show where they were searching for the Lost Dutchman mine in AZ. It must have been a 6 part series where they didn't turn up anything.

17. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Sorry, it is called " D.B. Cooper: Case Closed?" on History Channel. They pimped the fuck out of it for weeks.

You Knew! likes this.
  18. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Like I said, IF they ever solved Oak Island, Big Foot, Nessie or any of these mysteries, it would be all over the news way before any tv show aired. Still some interesting new stuff in this one though.

19. GoshGeeGolly

GoshGeeGolly VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    classic.

Gunt likes this.
  20. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I called in a tip and was totally ignored...:c

[​IMG]