Entertainment Dangers of TV binging- you suffer any?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Aug 27, 2016.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Depression, disease and no sex are some dangers of binge watching
    [​IMG]
    Kathrin Ziegler | Getty Images

We've all had those lazy Sundays when the couch's gravitational pull is too strong to escape — but as binge watching becomes a bigger part of the cultural landscape, some people are finding it even harder to break free.

There's not a lot of hard clinical data on binge watching to date. Most psychologists and researchers haven't had time to do long-term surveys. But as with any new form of obsessive entertainment, there's a schism forming among researchers.

Some experts, like Dr. Pamela Rutledge, a media psychologist and faculty member at California's Fielding Graduate University, say they see benefits in the hobby — and take issue with the term "binge watching."

"What I think is very interesting about this phenomenon is we call it 'binge watching,' which is a social pejorative," she says."We don't say we're binge reading if we tuck ourselves away with a Dickens novel, but we call it binge watching because we couldn't do this before. ... There are actually lots of positives in watching media. It allows you to experience emotions, it can be cathartic and it allow you to see models of different sorts of behaviors."

But the number of experts and studies arguing the opposite position is bigger, as is often the case in the early days of an emerging trend. And they can be fairly alarming. Here's a look at some of the reported downsides facing people who take binge watching too far.

Depression
    A 2015 University of Texas study noted that loneliness and depression were common factors in any sort of binge behavior — including binge watching. Ultimately, researchers said, the more lonely and depressed people are, the more likely they are to binge watch TV, in hopes that doing so would help them avoid other negative feelings in and about their lives.

Suffering sex life
    In the 1990s, says David Spiegelhalter, a professor and statistician at Cambridge University, couples had sex about five times per month. Today it's down to three — and Spiegelhalter says binge watching is partially to blame. (In fairness, he also points to people's obsessions with their phones and other digital distractions.) A seeming combination of obsessive watching of shows and the ensuing lack of sleep results in a lowered libido.

Increased risk of chronic disease
    In 2015, the American Journal of Preventive Medicine published the results of a 14-year study, one of the very few long-term looks at binge watching, with some startling results. Researchers found that participants who watched three to four hours of television per day increased the odds of contracting a chronic disease by 15 percent, compared to people who watched less than an hour of TV per day. The National Cancer Institute studied over 221,000 people between the ages of 50 to 71 years old for the report. Researchers noted that this could be tied to a lack of exercise.

Loss of social capital
    Waiting for a series to finish the season before you start watching so that you can watch it marathon-style? While you'll be able to avoid the agony of cliffhangers and, in many cases, avoid commercial breaks, you'll miss out on some of the social benefits of watching live. Shows like "Game of Thrones" or "The Walking Dead" are water-cooler conversation pieces — and they're all over social media. By not watching, you're not able to take part in those conversations (or if you do, you're certain to have major plot twists spoiled, ruining the fun).

Weight gain
    When we binge, we not only tend to remain sedentary, we also often snack. And researchers at Harvard say extended binge watching appears to encourage that behavior. "There's convincing evidence in adults that the more television they watch, the more likely they are to gain weight or become overweight or obese," Lilian Cheung, director of health promotion & communication at Harvard School of Public Health, told NPR.

Poor sleep
    Even if you're not staying up until all hours of the night watching "Stranger Things" or some other program, the screen time you're exposing yourself to could be impacting your ability to get a good night's sleep. Whether it's TVs, cell phones or computer screens, engaging with them before you call it a night increases electrical activity in your brain and could release a stress hormone that makes it harder to go to sleep. The light from those screens has also been shown to delay the release of melatonin, which helps you sleep.

Hedonic adaptation
    Psychologists are finding that indulging in an all-you-can-watch buffet might actually be reducing the pleasure you get from a show. Hedonic adaptation essentially means you get used to something new and its appeal is lessened. Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Riverside, also notes that by denying yourself the anticipation that comes with a break between shows, you're cutting down on the excitement that surrounds the narrative.

GoshGeeGolly and SouthernListen like this.
  2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I never did this until that
    stranger things
    then I watched half the strain episodes

i'm ok so far

3. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I love watching tv and do it a lot.
    Do not suffer from any of these problems becuz I have a very active life, except no sex life.
    But thats becuz I'm old, ugly, and live alone.

4. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    I've noticed
    you like to
    post like this

:watchingyou:

5. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't watch a lot of TV now. Most of it is on Sundays, when I try to make it a lazy kind of day. I'll watch football most of the day in the fall, and switch between NASCAR and a movie channel, then watch the animated shows on FOX Sunday nights.

6. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Anyone that uses the phrase "netflix and chill" isnt interested in pussy

7. oldpaddy

oldpaddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I grew up with my nose in a book or tv, then a PC, and now a phone. I think it's all pretty much the same in the end.

8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I read this and decided to get out today, do something besides watch TV.

I went to a movie.

9. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Depression, disease, and no sex.

Are these the symptoms of binge watching or the cause of binge watching?

Willowglen likes this.
  10. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Tipsey Haiku!!!

11. buried20kleague

buried20kleague Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Nope, I never worry about these symptoms because I don't binge watch.

What with the massive crack addiction and all.

12. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    I was never a binge watcher until Netflix. Those fuckers release an entire season at once so I end up binge watch like a crackhead. :oops:

Snort likes this.
  13. Teeney

Teeney My friends call me Lissette Gold

Reputations:
    Judge Judy!:woot:

lovetalkradio likes this.
  14. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    Currently watching Bates Motel. It's surprisingly good. Kid that plays Norman is either an amazing actor, or he's a fucking creep.

Teeney likes this.
  15. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i binge and i'm mostly normal. :grad:

just went through seasons 4 thru 6 of game of thrones. very bloody fun. :)

16. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hate binge watching. I'm always begging and pleading my girlfriend to spread the shit out. Finding a show I like doesn't happen often and when I do I'd rather savor it instead of blowing through the whole damn thing in a day or two.

Pitzarea likes this.
  17. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I cut the cable cord 2 years ago, so all I do now is binge watch or movie marathon franchises. No ill effects so far, except sometimes after spending weeks watch all the seasons of a really great show I feel sad when I get to the final episode. It's like saying goodbye to good friends.

lovetalkradio likes this.
  18. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

:spit:

I so respect brutal honesty.

Fuck it man, it is what it is. Nobody here worth impressing. :up:

Dorb likes this.
  19. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    OOPS