Entertainment Dave Grohl performs on a mobile “throne”

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Jul 5, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Foo Fighters celebrate July 4 with lots of opening acts and a mobile throne

By Mark Jenkins July 5 at 1:52 PM
    [​IMG]
    Dave Grohl rides his motorized throne alongside bandmember Nate Mendel at the Foo Fighters 20th Anniversary Blowout at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. (Kyle Gustafson/For The Washington Post)
    Foo Fighters founder-frontman Dave Grohl cultivates a reputation as a minivan-driving regular guy from Springfield, Va. But his band’s 20th anniversary celebration Saturday at RFK Stadium was a grand affair. Eight acts preceded the quintet’s arrival on stage, and the concert concluded with nothing less than a challenge to the National Park Service: the Foo Fighters’s very own 4th of July fireworks display. Also, Grohl spent most of the otherwise routine show on what he described as a “throne.”

[Dave Grohl is a back-aching, coffee-guzzling, minivan-driving classic rocker]

The motorized white chair wasn’t simply a regal pretension, of course. The singer-guitarist needed the mobile seat, outfitted with flashing lights and emblazoned with a large “FF” logo, because his leg is in a cast. Everyone in the teeming stadium knew that the musician had tumbled off a stage in Sweden last month, an incident he asked to have shown several times on the stage set’s video screens. The break-a-leg flashback was one of several elements that made the concert resemble an episode of “This Is Your Life” hosted by its own honoree.

The two-and-half-hour show began with “Everlong,” the song that recently marked the end of “The Late Show with David Letterman.” The rest of the set was similar to the ones the Fighters played before Grohl’s Scandinavian fall, with one exception. To mark the anniversary of the band’s self-titled 1995 debut, there were more songs from that album. Such seldom-performed numbers as “For All the Cows” joined the album’s best-known tune, “This Is A Call.”

Much of Grohl’s appeal stems from the fact that he remains a music fan. Friendship, admiration and hometown connections explained the concert’s eclectic lineup, which included up-and-coming Reston rap-rockers RDGLDGRN; D.C. go-go stalwart Trouble Funk; and Joan Jett, who, like Grohl, spent her formative years in the D.C. suburbs. Also on the bill were new pals from the Fighters’ “Sonic Highways” audio-video project that documented local American music scenes: Austin’s Gary Clark Jr., Chicago’s Buddy Guy and New Orleans’ Trombone Shorty.

[​IMG]
    Dave Grohl performs on a mobile “throne” to a massive crowd at the anniversary concert. (Kyle Gustafson/For The Washington Post)
    Grohl’s fandom is usually demonstrated by an assortment of 1970s and ’80s classic-rock hits, but Saturday’s show included only a version of “Under Pressure,” with Grohl and singing drummer Taylor Hawkins in the roles of David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. Grohl asked if the crowd wanted the group to play more covers or its own material, and the vote was overwhelmingly for the latter. The musician seemed a little disappointed to return to his own catalogue.

Dave Grohl, preserving rock history
    [​IMG]
    View Photos
    The Foo Fighters frontman has become the face of contemporary rock. His band marks its 20th anniversary in July.
    Introducing an acoustic version of “My Hero,” Grohl chattily explained that he was lucky to come of age in the 1980s D.C. punk scene, where the other musicians who played such venues as the Wilson Center were his heroes. None of those former cohorts joined the musician on stage, however. The set’s only cameo was by the now-mainstream rocker’s mom, Virginia Grohl. If her appearance didn’t add anything musically, it was entirely appropriate to a show that was more amiable than exciting.

Cheryl Marie and jackieavenger like this.
  2. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Now I feel really fucking old.

3. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    right?!?:argh:

4. Tyler9258

Tyler9258 Old friends, old whiskey, old songs

Reputations:
    He's so brave

WUT7272G7C and stash like this.
  5. snowdog212

snowdog212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Robin I couldn't do that to my fans I need to be 100% all the time Robin you there?"

6. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    they put on a helluva show. i saw the original lineup on their first tour and they sounded great. i've seen em several times since and that always bring it.

smichal and jackieavenger like this.
  7. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

smichal likes this.
  8. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    thats awesome those first two albums are so great. although the original touring drummer wasnt the best

stash likes this.
  9. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Average jock-rock ala Nickelback except Jann and Rolling Stone approve so they have credibility. It's sad that this is considered the best hard rock band out there today. It's no wonder the genre is pretty much disappearing like jazz in the 60's and will be extinct once AC/DC and the like retire for good.

stash likes this.
  10. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.
    Depressing.

smichal likes this.
  11. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw the first tour and several since. I'm going to see them at Wrigley Field in Chicago with Cheap Trick at the end of August and Can't Fucking Wait! Dave Grohl is the man.

12. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    I've read that dave redid a lot of what was laid down by the original drummer on the second album. Taylor is a great drummer and he brings the energy that dave does behind the kit.

13. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    how does he put on the skinny jeans over the cast?

14. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah I dont agree with you at all but to each his own.