Dawg, have you considered accepting Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Help and Support Desk' started by TelegramSam, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Just a thought, for those of us who don't like Paypal, it would be a pretty convenient way to support, plus some other Linux distros and forums I contibute to accept them. Not trying to stick my nose in or anything, just a thought, and you probably would get more Supporters this way. Plus, I have a a Bitcoin wallet just sitting idle, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Bitcoin payment is becoming pretty mainstream, xhamster even accepts them for cam whores now, pleading the 5th on how I know this.

2. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I can set up a bitcoin account somewhere no problem. You can pay in bitcoin and i will upgrade you. What service to you use?

3. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I normally use Coinbase, but I use a local wallet with MultiBit and then send them to my Coinbase wallet when I want to make a transaction, so if you prefer something other than Coinbase I can do whatever. It might take me a day or two, I haven't gotten my Coinbase account verified, so it can be anywhere from 10 hours to a few days until my transfer goes through.

4. dawg

Reputations:
    I didnt like coinbase and i cant figure out bitpay. any other suggestions?

5. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Hmm, let me look into this and get back to you in a few minutes...

6. dawg

Reputations:
    I've been meaning to get into bitcoins but i dont understand the wallet or any of it.

7. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Well, basically the way it works is that you can have a local wallet, an online wallet, or both. The downside of the online wallet is that they can be hacked, the downside of the offline wallet is that it makes transfers more difficult. MultiBit is just an application that allows you to store your wallet offline, securely. Then, you can send just enough of your bitcoins to the online wallet to pay for what you want, without the risk of hackers raiding Coinbase or whatever online wallet you're going with. The reason Coinbase is convenient is that a lot of services take it now, from Dish Network to Dell Computers. There are some other competing services that a lot of people prefer, big corporations just tend to go with Coinbase for whatever reason (probably the founders have enough money to be worth suing if it goes under). Let me look into this a little bit and make a comprehensive list of online wallets/payment processors you can check out.

8. dawg

Reputations:
    I will get it figured out and get back to you.

9. dawg

Reputations:
  10. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I got your PM Dawg, I'm just waiting for a coinbase transfer to go through. If you verify your account with them, it goes faster, I just choose not to for privacy reasons. I've had to wait up to a week before, but I think they guarantee 24 hour turnaround if you're verified. If it takes too long I'll just buy a pre-paid VISA card this time, I don't have enough BTC in my local wallet to pay for a whole year and I'm not going to make you mess with this for less than that. Definitely going to pay this way from here on out (assuming I'm still posting anyway). Once you get the hang of using it, it's really a superior payment system to Paypal. Also, BTC are considered property and not income by the IRS, so if you do a pure BTC transaction you don't have to declare it as income on your tax return.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to mention Bitcoin on the Donate page itself either, it's getting more popular and respected as a payment system by the day. I think it justs need an eBay-like service that accepts it to really take off and challenge Paypal.

11. dawg

Reputations:
  12. XuXu

XuXu VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought bitcoin shit the bed?