Dawg, what Linux distro do you use? Also, who else runs Linux?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by TelegramSam, Jan 24, 2013.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Dawg, I've noticed that you mentioned running Linux a few different times. I've used Gentoo for years, but it simply ain't what it used to be, and after portage broke and it was going to take me about 3 days to compile a new install on the PC I just bought, I've decided to switch. I tried Sabayon, which is Gentoo based, but it's too buggy. I ended up switching over to Mageia because I hate GNOME/GTK and I'm not running Ubuntu or Debian; I was tempted to go back to Slackware, which I started on, but it just doesn't make sense to not use a package manager in this day and age. Mageia works well, but I want to try some others out and pick my new every day distro, so I thought I'd ask. I'd also be grateful to any other LInux users who want to give me a recommendation, and Mac and Windows users can feel free to post cat pictures and neg rep me of course.

2. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more.

3. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Schmoopy and Linux?

[​IMG]

4. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    I had a netbook with Ubuntu on it...ran great for just browsing, listening to music etc...but, the netbook died, and I bought a Nexus pad.

But, I had no problems with the disto I used, but, I did not use it for anything intense.

5. AndyRotten

AndyRotten Active Member

Reputations:
    Ubuntu or Mint. Everything else is just masochism.

6. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Can you tell me how easy it is to get KDE running on Mint? From what I've seen, it only runs MATE, Cinnamon and XFCE. I'm actually liking Mageia a lot, it seems to have fixed most of the problems that later Mandrake/Mandriva releases had. I tried googling it, but the opinions vary really widely and I hate to screw around with this Mageia install. My problem with Ubuntu is that Kubuntu is the red headed stepchild, and just doesn't work as well as the true Ubuntu GNOME desktop (same deal with Debian, it's all based around GDM and GNOME and the KDE developers/package managers just don't keep it up to par with the GTK desktop options). All I want is a good KDE desktop with a package manager.

7. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    :nojj::facepalm:

8. Schmoopy

Reputations:
    Hunh?:crazy2:

9. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench.
    Just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ wrench.â€
    Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.†Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!"

:hilarious:

10. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:

[​IMG]

11. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    I run Ubuntu bro. I can put on any shell I want on it. You can put KDE, Gnome etc.. on Ubuntu easily. However, you sound like an advanced user. May I suggest Arch? I think you will like it.

https://www.archlinux.org/

12. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Mint or Ubuntu.

13. Schmoopy

Reputations:
    Didn't read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancin:

I don't like your new av. :no:

14. FOXXXONE

FOXXXONE wut?

Reputations:
  15. FOXXXONE

FOXXXONE wut?

Reputations:
  16. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I'm thinking I will go ahead and give Mint a shot; I have it on one hard drive and Arch on another, so I'll definitely pick one of the two. The Mint package manager seems to have every program I use already in it, whereas Arch is missing a lot of stuff I would have to compile myself. I do like the rolling release that Arch uses, but I'm not sure it's worth the trade off for having to compile so much stuff without the performance benefits you get with Gentoo.

I've been using Linux since the late 90's, but I just kept stubbornly holding on to Gentoo thinking it was going to get back to it's early to mid-2000's quality. I do think there was a time when an advanced user wouldn't want a more newbie friendly distro because of the performance trade off, but it's really not the case these days and I think that's part of what is putting the final nails in Gentoo's coffin. It's really sad to see it dying off after it was so good for so long, but those are the breaks. One of the things that was great about Gentoo was that it literally never required a true upgrade, you could just use emerge and keep the same install going. I have a PC I built in 2002 that still runs its original Gentoo install and works pretty well with LXDE.

17. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Best cat picture ever.

18. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    Sam I haven't watched any direct tv's yet. Is Artie back on the H?

19. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Depends on who you believe, but I don't think he is. I do think he's probably using something along the lines of subutex again, though, because he has that chalky appearance it gave him on Stern (it could be diabetes too, though, it messes your skin up).

20. FOXXXONE

FOXXXONE wut?

Reputations:
    you said post cat pics , I figured I would at least stay on topic .