Entertainment DawgShed gamers- any FPS advice for the new year?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Head Censor, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm by no means a hardcore gamer, but I have enjoyed certain FPS games over the years. My problem is that I greatly prefer the ones which give you more expansive map levels and a lot of autonomy in determining how you navigate through them, while allowing you to devise your own strategy in eliminating the threats. The early Call of Duty installments and some of the Clancy specops games were a lot of fun on my Mac. You could formulate a plan, sneak around and more or less take as long as you liked, picking off bad guys one at a time.

I can fully appreciate what technological marvels the newest CoD and Halo games represent. I'm just not a huge fan of the frenetic pacing and the way they force you along one relatively narrow, predetermined path through each map level. They strike me more as arcade games which test controller skills and reaction times rather than strategy or tactics. Recently, I really enjoyed playing Sniper Elite III on the kids' XBox One. Are there any other good single player titles you guys can think of released in the last few years that I should be considering?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    1Vegasgirl and ARM like this.
  2. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Dayz or h1z1

Head Censor likes this.
  3. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I played super mario 3 yesterday.

Boomer, TheHighHat and scoobyla like this.
  4. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    FPS games make me barf

Dlist likes this.
  5. nxridge

nxridge New Member

Reputations:
    I only play battlefield 4 on pc these days, fun if your into fps

Head Censor likes this.
  6. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've gone crazy over the holidays buying myself presents and trying to tighten up my video game situation for PS4 and XBOX ONE. I love the new systems but they keep thinking of new ways to take your money.

This downloading games into your harddrive (while you STILL need the disc) at a ridiculous unnecessary 50 GB a pop is clearly a scam to force you to buy 2 TB harddrive space. That and the constant DLs that USED to be cheat codes - piss me off to no end as a consumer advocate. It's Howard double-dip shit.

We tried to play a new Madden on Christmas Eve on PS4, and it took us 30 minutes from the time we popped in the disc to the time the exhibition game kickoff started!! JUST to play a lil fuck around exhibition game.

My 3 nephews could almost be professional gamers. My oldest nephew was ranked nationally in Madden (almost as good in NBA 2k16 as well), and just masters everything he touches and passed me by standing still years ago. There's times where I'd just rather watch THEM play like Grand Theft Auto 5 - than play myself - they're so good at this now, and it's so much fun to just watch. It's like you can direct a movie telling what to do in free roam.

Through watching them and my own proclivities - the games I have and enjoy the most.

NBA 2K16 (PS4)
    NBA LIVE 16 (PS4)
    MADDEN 16 (PS4)
    MLB: THE SHOW (PS4)
    WWE 16 (XBOX ONE)
    JUST CAUSE 3 (XBOX ONE)
    GTA 5 (XBOX ONE)
    BATTLEFIELD 4 (XBOX ONE)
    GEARS OF WAR (XBOX ONE)
    UNCHARTERED 1-3 (PS4)
    STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (PS4)
    INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US (PS4)
    UFC (XBOX ONE)
    BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT (PS4)
    DEADPOOL (XBOX ONE)
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: SUPER SOLDIER (XBOX 360, PS3)
    BATMAN ARKHAM ORIGINS (PS3 XBOX 360)
    BATMAN ARKHAM CITY: GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION (PS3 XBOX 360)
    BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM: GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION (PS3 XBOX 360)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  8. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    Overwatch.

EndOfLine and Head Censor like this.
  9. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    I used to get motion sickness when I would play. A couple of years ago I bought those little wristbands with the pressure point things that were made to stop it. After using them for awhile I got used to playing fps and one day tried it without. Now I can play with no issues.

10. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know if you're a golf game fan (don't have to play in real life to like it) but the RORY McILLROY PGA TOUR game (formerly Tiger Woods) is AS good as a golf game gets, and it's relaxingly therapeutic. Not a button masher. I think I actually learned the game of golf from the video games all through the 90's. It doesn't take 6 hours to play 18 holes - it takes 30 minutes and you can play like 4 people at a time, so no one is alienated in the room.

These games are amazing as well as the courses they design. They have courses called "Bethpage Black" and "SHINNECOCK HILLS" in Southampton (by Plughead's at 17 Squabble Lane) - which is a course by me on LI that's 100% perfect rendering and simulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kingship and Head Censor like this.
  11. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Expansive maps and non linear gameplay - Just Cause 2 or 3. Absolutely the most fun, non-restrictive gameplay around. Third person, though, if that is important.

Any of the Fallouts are good and fun to explore.

Saints Row and GTA and the new Mad Max game if you like vehicular combat.

Elite Dangerous if you like space combat - absolutely stellar graphics and sound.

The Witcher series if you like sex and violence and fantasy game play.

Mr Pink, Head Censor and ARM like this.
  12. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
  13. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As soon as I turned 18 I stopped gaming, not sure why

14. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    One of my favorite game environments ever is Just Cause 2. The freedom of movement is so awesome. It would take too long to describe just how easy it is to glide through a canyon or grapple to the top of a skyscraper and everything in between.

So based on that, I'm gonna recommend Just Cause 3. Also, Dishonored 2 should fit the bill for allowing you to customize game play to your exact liking. You can kill everything, or kill nothing. You can go in with guns blazing, or never be seen.

Both have vast open world's which allow you to take a break from hardcore gameplay and just wander around a little bit and enjoy the environment.

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I eventually found FPS games repetitive. But I do sometimes play War Thunder online, which is pretty much the same, just with tanks.

ARM and Head Censor like this.
  16. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    No shit? Damn my bro tried to get me to play doom long ago and I thought I was gonna pass out. I get so sick from those games.

17. Spidey-mandella

Spidey-mandella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They need to make a next gen sequel for left 4 dead. Hands down best fps i ever played. If your a fan of cheesy horror flicks its a no brainer.

agnes likes this.
  18. HowardsPrenup

HowardsPrenup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just bought ps4 three weeks ago. Got the Uncharted bundle. Uncharted 1-3, haven't played 4 yet. Never played them until now. GREAT GAMES.

19. kingship

kingship Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    FPS's used to make me sick, but when Halo came out, I gave it another go. No issues since. That said, I cannot watch anyone else play games. It gives me horrible headaches.

ARM likes this.
  20. tempetoro

tempetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Check out far cry 4. I've never played a far cry game but picked it up cheap on Amazon for me to play on my son's new ps4. Open map like gta with tons of missions that you can be as stealthy or guns a blazing as you choose.

Take out an enemy outpost? I like to find a high ground spot and survey the joint, Mark all the enemy's and find the alarm to deactivate in case they notice one of their dead buddies or me for that matter.

Throw a rock to distract or some bait to lure predatory animals to distract or even kill the enemy. Took me a couple hours and some youtube videos to get used to but now I'm hooked.

Head Censor and Mr Pink like this.