DC Comics films rumored and in development

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Nov 4, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]A look at all the DC Comics films rumored and in development [Updated][/h] By Ryan Fleming — November 2, 2013

[​IMG]

There was a time when DC characters ruled the box office – at least compared to their lowly Marvel competitors, whose films were often the stuff of made-for-TV bins. On one side you had Tim Burton’s Batman and Christopher Reeves’ Superman films; both eventually descended to the bowels of camp, but not before making a small, Scrooge McDuck-like vault of gold coins for Warner Bros. On the other side were films like The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, guest starring a sad looking ninja calling himself Daredevil, and another one with Thor. Both were gobbled up by fans, but both were fairly bad. And the less said about the 1990 Captain America film starring Revenge of the Nerds’ Matt Salinger, the better. Times, of course, have changed.

Link to detailed list: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/a-look-at-all-the-dc-comics-films-rumored-and-in-development/

(Too much to post)

2. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    With the success of movies based on more gritty comics and graphic novels, I'm really surprised there haven't been films based on Vertigo titles, or Sandman. A Transmetropolitan movie has really cool potential.

3. Tommy

Tommy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The earliest film is 2015? marvel will have a half dozen films out by then.

By "Marvel", I mean Marvel comics, not marvel's production studio.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. Tommy

Tommy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
  5. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Won't Marvel always win because DC only has Superman & Batman as juggernaughts, but Marvel's got the Stan Lee wet Dream Team?

I mean half of the X-Men are bigger icons than them DC scrubs.

6. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the sad thing is i really couldn't care less. i have never read a DC/superhero comic and find that adults who are obsessed with "superheros" have something seriously wrong with them.
    IOW, i don't give a shit.

7. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    Probably. I don't follow comics much, but the ones I do are more the "gritty" types, and DC has a lot of potential with their Vertigo branch. I think the smart thing to is focus on those really awesome edgy stories

8. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Half of these films are about as likely to happen as Howard's Porky's remake.

10. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    That's what I'm thinking...1000 Bullets, Y the Last Man, Transmetropolitan, etc. On the flip side, I'm surprised they haven't made Fables into a movie yet

11. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    I'm amused that they have been trying to get "Preacher" (DC - Vertigo) into production since 1997 and are still trying. They got as far as casting in 2002.

12. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't wait for this whole fad to die. My opinion though.

13. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved Sandman, but Hollywood should never try to make it into a movie. They would fuck it up so badly.
    I'm pretty much over all the superhero movies. Although, if they made an NC-17 Wonderwoman vs. Catwoman vs. Batgirl movie...

14. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    X-rated would be even better.

15. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Huge market for the Vertigo line if you go adult non comic fan market, but DC wants PG-13 blockbusters like Marvel.

16. cia212

Reputations:
    I think even Fables is on hold. WB wanted to make a few movies from Vertigo, but DC doesn't own all of the rights. WB then forced contract changes that caused a lot of talent to leave. Now, with the move to Burbank, they'll lose even more people.

WB just doesn't know how to manage DC.

17. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    I've never really read Fables, but I know about it.....it could make BANK in Hollywood, the whole premise would bring in a ton of movie goers I think, regardless of them knowing the comic series

18. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Marvel Comics debuts female Muslim superhero[/h] [h=2]Teenage Ms Marvel will deal with adolescence, religion and superpowers[/h] [​IMG]

AP

10:43PM GMT 05 Nov 2013

Marvel Comics is bringing Ms. Marvel back as a 16-year-old daughter of Pakistani immigrants living in Jersey City named Kamala Khan.

The character - among the first to be a series protagonist who is both a woman and Muslim - is part of Marvel Entertainment's efforts to reflect a growing diversity among its readers while keeping ahold of the contemporary relevance that have underlined its foundation since the creation of Spider-Man and the X-Men in the early 1960s.

Writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Adrian Alphona, working with editor Sana Amanat, say the series reflects Khan's vibrant but kinetic world, learning to deal with superpowers, family expectations and adolescence.

Amanat calls the series a "desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective" and what it means to be young and lost amid expectations by others while also telling the story of a teenager coming to grips with having amazing powers.

"I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women. High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences - impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager," said Willow, whose previous comics work includes Vertigo's "Cairo" and the series "Air."

"It's for all the geek girls out there and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe."
    She can grow and shrink her limbs and her body and, Willow said, ultimately, she'll be able to shape shift into other forms.
    The idea came after a discussion with senior editor Stephen Wacker as they compared stories about growing up.
    From there it germinated into a "character for all those little girls who are growing up now the way you are growing up," she recalled. Wilson was brought on board to write the series and the team quickly got approval from Marvel's creative committee to move forward.
    DC Comics last fall relaunched its "Green Lantern" series with Simon Baz, an Arab American and Muslim. The character reflects writer Geoff Johns' Lebanese ancestry and his upbringing in the Detroit area.
    There have been a few others: Marvel Comics has Dust, a young Afghan woman whose mutant ability to manipulate sand and dust has been part of the popular X-Men books. DC Comics in late 2010 introduced Nightrunner, a young Muslim hero of Algerian descent reared in Paris.
    The creative team said that Khan's backstory, growing up Muslim, is an element of the story, but not the critical foundation, either.
    "Kamala is not unlike Peter Parker," said Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso of the teenager turned wall crawler. "She's a 16-year-old girl from the suburbs who is trying to figure out who she is and trying to forge an identity when she suddenly bestows great power and learns the great responsibility that comes with it."

19. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    rated

20. cia212

Reputations:
    Great, so when the character makes it to a movie we go from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]