Defending Ritchie...

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by BenFromClifton, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BenFromClifton

BenFromClifton Member

Reputations:
    Seen a lot of comments on here that throw Ritchie under the bus when it comes to a comedic perspective. However, to be fair, as I'm getting caught up watching Monday's replay - The third hour with Alaa was very entertaining to me. Say what you will about Ritchie's comedic timing, comedy much like music is very polarizing in that it's tough to get many people to agree, in addition - he's not there to be funny, he is the obvious straight man...but I think Ritchie brings great football insight to the casual fan and his thoughts on the current NFL concussion issue are very thought provoking. He was very honest in regards to how he hid his own concussions and went about his business and I think he brings good personal experience to the table when discussing the NFL's biggest off the field problem right now (aside from Terrell Owens). From a pure football/sports perspective I thought he really had his best segment there.

2. KimChee

KimChee New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    NOTHING that has come out of Ritchie's mouth has been close to "thought provoking", other than WTF is he doing on a radio show! He slows the show to a painful halt every time he opens his pie hole.

3. BochettisChin

BochettisChin New Member

Reputations:
    This. The man can't laugh at himself and plays the "honest, decent guy". But as soon as the Bocchetti ball-busting starts, he's laughing away and joining in on the mockery

4. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I've never expected any humor from ritchie. If you are on a radio show, however, I expect that when you speak, there will not be seconds-long pauses in the midst of each pointless, meandering sentence you make. Also, his knowledge of sports other than football is surprisingly lacking. Even his knowledge of football leaves much to be desired. The most infuriating part is when Ritchie starts in with the concussion talk. Everyone knows that hits to the head repeatedly are not great for you, but that is one of the reasons you are being paI'd millions to play a game. Ritchie or Alaa talking about some teenager who killed himself and attempting to blame football is pathetic. Players who feel they did not make enough/blew through their money are now trying to defraud the nfl out of billions of dollars. If a player was forced against his will to play football, then he has a right to sue. Other than that, these scammers are just trying to bilk money out of an ever-profitable league. Of course outlets like PBS play up concussion victimhood stories, they hate anything in our culture that promotes manliness.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Even if he was a great football analyst, he does not belong on this show. We are in the middle of football season and they spend maybe 2 segments a night talking about it. He knows nothing about other sports. He is so slow and painful to listen to even when he is talking about football. This is not a sports show, its more of an entertainment show. Artie is the star of the show, and he knows very little about sports other than what is going on in New York and whatever the hot button national stories are. I don't get why they think putting some serious sports guy with Artie works. At least 1/3 of every show has comics as guests and 3 nights a week we have to endure those brutal bands. Ritchie has no business co-hosting a syndicated radio/tv show. He may could pass as an analyst on a small or middle market sports radio show.

6. BenFromClifton

BenFromClifton Member

Reputations:
    I respect everybody's opinion on here and I get the frustration at his slow pace. There are times when he is very dry - not arguing that point. What I am referring to as thought provoking (for me at least) is: A) He mentioned that after he was benched for admitting to a concussion - he vowed never to be honest again about concussions to avoid sitting on the bench. That is a big problem in the NFL wherein players are not admitting to their brains being scrambled and doing long term damage to their bodies - more open dialogue needs to had regarding the need to be open here. B) He lamented the end of his career because he felt that he was at least a decade behind his "Classmates" who graduated when he did. I think that is interesting because he saw himself as missing out on something bigger even though he was fortunate enough to play in the NFL for 7 years...a league where the average career is 3 and change. Perhaps this depression that a player "missed out on something bigger", combined with the head trauma leads to some of these guys blowing their brains out. I'm just saying give the guy a chance from an NFL/sports perspective, he knows what he is talking about. LTD86, I know your a big contributor here man & I respect your view that you don't want/need to hear long pauses and meaningless droning on, to be fair - I think we'd both agree that is exactly what Mike Francesa has become (when he is not repeating himself over and over again), Second, to be fair - the AVG NFL Salary is about $1.9MM - figure that about half goes to taxes - so it's basically 1 million a year - with an avg career of 3 years - $3 Million total. Now subtract 10% agent fees, living expenses for a family, etc....If a player (who on avg retires before 30), has serious head trauma and is in need of medical attention for the rest of their life - how long can that money be expected to last. In addition, the NFL has repeatedly denied any major threats from head trauma. I am a huge football fan and detest political correctness and the slow "pussification" of America. But facts are facts and I think that Ritchie is in a good position to talk about the effects of an NFL beating and it's toll on the body.

7. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I've given Ritchie the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but he's dryer than 2 month-old melba toast in Saudi pussy.

I'm not entirely sure that the DTV haven't figured that it doesn't matter who they get in the studio, they will not be able to out-entertain Artie, but the route they've gone with Ritchie is the direct opposite! He brings nothing to the table.

8. jonmac20

jonmac20 Active Member

Reputations:
    This. He is Ok once and awhile depending on the guest. But his football knowledge is all he brings to the table. Hell Allah was in the other night and was talking football just as well as Jon was at least from a entertainment standpoint. While Jon may be able to break down the game tape that's really not what this job is. I wish they would change the format of the show get Jon or some else to be the host. Set up a topics or storys than let artie riff(more original Nick and Artie show format). That said Jon is like 5 % of whats wrong with the show. They should take more callers get way less guests and musicians. That would instantly instantly make the show better.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Point is, who the fuck is Ritchie?? Some hipster queer they found in a Starbucks? Get Jackie in there, or Quinn.. anyone!

10. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    Too be fair Artie doesn't talk about anything but the Giants and A-Rod/Skankees, I will listen to anything football and baseball but I hate the skankees with a passion
    I don't mind the constant Giant's talk because it is football and the Giants are comical this year

11. Death Smack

Reputations:
    You hit the nail on the head on the above in red, the pussification of this country is sickening

12. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Richie may be slow and boring but at least he is free of any showbiz affectations and I can appreciate that. Guys like Stover or Ala Abldelbabi with their milquetoast personas are a dime a dozen. You all would be seething with hate for them too after a few weeks of them in the studio trying to hammer out lame banter. I agree that Richie isn't really helping things along but it is good to have at least one down to earth point of view in that studio. Besides Artie, who is a legitimate showbiz star, you have Bochetti and the twins, a bunch of sad showbiz wannabes--no substance, no interests in life besides wanting to be famous, they bring no relatable perspective on anything. If there were no normal people in that studio the show would be even more insufferable than it is now.

13. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    Nick is that you? COME BACK!!

14. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Well, I think what you're hitting on is that most people want a comedian, not a sports guy, in that chair. :dontknow: I don't mind Ritchie, I'll take him over most of the other hosts, he just drives me up the wall by putting in zero effort and not bothering to learn about any sport aside from football. Florentine is doing a barebones podcast in NJ already, I would give anything for him to be in that seat if we're not going to have a sports expert anyway.

15. Death Smack

Reputations:
    Fuck no, I couldn't live in the commie Northeast

16. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    It seems like Bochetti is the only person that Artie can riff off of and get a little comedy going. Just make him co-host and put Ritchie over by the fridge.

17. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Please for the love of Christ tell me you are joking.

18. jgard

jgard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I still say that when listening back to the podcast, select 1/2 speed and Ritchie becomes poignant and witty

19. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Agents fees in the nlf are only 3% Ritchie has said this on the show time and time again. Sure Ritchie can say he missed out on advancing like his classmates he did graduate from Stanford for Godsakes and I'm sure more than a few of those guys are multi multi millionaires and owners of their own companies by now. However Ritchie is a bit of a little bitch bout that because guys like Fran Tarkenton and Roger Staubach (just to name two) built multi million dollar companies from nothing and spend two decades, not seven years, in Pro football and started their ladder climbing at 40 by building their own fucking ladders.

Also, I know that Ritchie got more than his opportunity to make it at BSPN they had him on EVERY show they could and his blandness just COULDN'T be coached out of him at some point he thought he would be edgy by declaring his hate for Brett Farve over and over and it just made him look like a jealous faggot.

Does he now the NFL, Yes.

Does he put ANY work in rounding out his skills in ANY other areas NO FUCKING WAY.

Finally with 7 years of work this guy is guaranteed $470x 7 =$3200 for LIFE at age 55 not to mention ever increasing benefits medically. Also he can get up to 3 million from the recent $800 million dollar concision lawsuit the NFL just paid out. This faggot also had the opportunity to get a 200% Match from the NFL 401 k plan so if he put a fourth of his after tax NFL money he would have and additional 3/4 of his entire NFL earnings available to him NOW as well.

so WHAAAAAA!!!! John Ritchie.

Get of your ass and fucking TRY!!!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  20. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I appreciate where you're coming from Ben, but his insights are few and far between. Why should we suffer with him for 95% of the show to get to that 5% where he knows what he's talking about?

And is he really revealing anything, or just confirming what most people already suspect?

And the product of one of the things you give him credit for.......................admitting that he feels way behind his peers.........................is really hurting the show. There are a lot of extraordinarily basic things he isn't even aware of because his entire life was football.

Like Greekfreak, I gave Ritchie the benefit of the doubt at first, using the "at least he's not Brent Stover or Chris Mannix" line of reasoning. I was ok with the fact that he was a zero, because at least he wasn't a minus like the other co-hosts they were auditioning.

But he is a minus. It's most glaringly obvious when a comedian is in the studio, but in just about every other situation he comes up short and lame, too.

He's especially lame when he tries to play the foil/contrarian.