A Delaware family poisoned by pesticide while they were on vacation in the Virgin Islands will likely never recover from the illness that left three of them paralyzed, a top island official said this week. Doctors have lost hope that Steve Esmond, 49, and his two young sons will ever return to normal after falling ill four months ago when they breathed in a highly toxic pesticide while staying at a $800-a-night rental villa at the luxury Sirenusa resort in Cruz Bay, St. John, Virgin Islands Governor Kenneth Mapp said. "Unfortunately, I have to give some bad news," Mapp told reporters Tuesday. "For all intents and purposes, the doctors do not expect any significant recovery from their present condition." The pesticide called Terminix left Steve Esmond, an official at the private Tatnall School in Greenville, Del., severely paralyzed. The father of two "must be strapped in to even sit," Mapp said, according to the Virgin Island Daily News. His condition is the worst in the family of four. Esmond's oldest son Ryan is conscious but paralyzed from the neck down, the VI Daily News reported. Both he and his younger brother Sean have no control of their body movements. Sean is also "in and out of a coma" and has no feelings in his limbs, Mapp said. The boys' mother Theresa Devine, 49, is the only one who seems to be improving. Terminix is not permitted for residential use and contains a substance known as methyl bromide, which can cause central nervous or respiratory damage, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said. A team of exterminators may have used the colorless, odorless gas while fumigating a room at the resort March 18, according to the agency. The U.S. Department of Justice is probing the case. The family's lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment. "The poison used by Terminix is a toxin to the neuro systems," Mapp said Tuesday. "It has affected this family horribly. “The government of the Virgin Islands will seek full and unfettered recompense for its expenditures dealing with this issue."