Destination Weddings (Mexico) (Homo OK)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by HaroldJackson, Sep 10, 2013.

1. HaroldJackson

HaroldJackson Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I call upon you jerks of The Saloon once again for guidance.
    Who here is a travel agent, or has been to a destination wedding, or travels a lot? I need advice.

Here's my deal:

Friends booked through destinationweddigns . com
    I suspected they are just a re-seller of travel packages, I finally googled this, and it's true. among mostly bad reviews, the most popular suggestion to to got through Expedia, or the Resort directly.
    Most of these reviews are from the bride and meant for other brides organizing the whole shebang it seems.
    I don't know any travel agents to ask or have any as customers to ask these questions.

I'm not picky. I just want to fly there on the day everyone else does, have a room on the same floor/wing as the other guests, upgrade to face the water not the jungle.
    can I make sure that all happens through an outside route?
    What are the perks of going through the site with the group? If not will I be left out of the ceremony? locked out of the banquet room?

I just want to go, drink all day in the sun and save $800 or so.
    Oh, and rub against some bridesmaids, depending on my situation and if I bring a guest or not.

Thanks, I'll take your answers off the air. No, I'll check in to answer any questions/provide more details.

2. Oderus

Oderus Going to hell VIP

Reputations:
    huh?

3. O Face

O Face VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Have you tried calling the hotel/resort directly? I'm no travel agent but I would try that first

4. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this must be a gay wedding because destination weddings are gay as fuck

5. nazdrowie

nazdrowie Sultan of Sweat Gold

Reputations:
    destination weddings are so stupid. it only serves as an ego-boost to the wedding couple.

"oh look at how many people will follow us thousands of miles to watch us get married"

assholes

6. gilaet

gilaet Zen As Fuck Gold

Reputations:
    What's the over/under on chainsaw beheadings?

7. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    check the resort website first, see what the prices are, if less than the price the bride negotiated then book it. Then call and tell then you have a reservation and want to be in the block of rooms reserved. They generally don't put everyone in the same area anyway---too much localized noise. You can ask for an upgrade when you get there or a couple of days before

8. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    most resorts offer air deals too

9. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    1) calm down

10. HaroldJackson

Reputations:
    no, i'm just looking into this now. What if I don't understand all their Mexico-talk? Maybe Dawg can help me.

no, but I agree.

well it's backfiring cuz no one has signed up after like 5 deadlines for better rates. they keep extending them. I feel bad for the bride.

none. it's an all inclusive resort. Might as well be in Florida or Bahamas or anywhere the sun is hot in the Winter. Wont be anything Authentic in the place. the Mexican Décor probably comes from china and the staff will be Jamaicans or Hatians. the place was bragging about its Sushi!

Thank you for legitimate advice. A room upgrade will be cheaper ordering it last minute than from the outset?
    I'll look into it.

11. Real

Real Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Kayak.com is a good place to start looking for outside deals.

and there is no way in fuck I would think about getting them a gift, anyone who makes people travel is a shithead.

I've gone to weddings where there is a cash bar and decided to keep the gift I was going to give.

12. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Isn't Mexico the place white trash go when the cannot afford a real vacation?

13. O Face

O Face VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BTW, for all those who are banging on destination weddings, you're missing the point. The couple doesn't care if any of you assholes come. It is way better for them to have some resort put everything together, and they don't have to pay for all you assholes to come and get shitfaced and complain about the ceremony. It is basically and elopement where they say, "hey come if you want," knowing that a bunch of the family they don't give a shit about won't come. And if their true friends see it as an excuse to take a Caribbean vacay, great, they're probably the ones fun to hang with anyway.

My wife wanted the whole wedding thing, but I would have preferred to run off and not deal with the hassle. Destination wedding would have been second best idea.

14. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    Cheapcarribean.com and expedia both work well...I think they may all use the same deal generator

It's usually best to book a package of airfare and a room together...better deal 99% of the time

15. HaroldJackson

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I knew I could count on this place.