News Detroit and Chicago Hospitals...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by PSU Shower Room, Jun 23, 2015.

1. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    alone are going to make this kid a billionaire.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/17-old-invented-ingenious-way-132200709.html

A 17-year-old invented an ingenious way to instantly stop bleeding
    Business Insider By Chris Weller
    Imagine this: You're gushing blood. Nothing seems to make it stop. Then you apply a gel to your wound, and the bleeding stops within seconds. You're healed in minutes.

This is the premise of VetiGel, an algae-based polymer created by Joe Landolina — a 22 year-old who invented the product when he was just 17.

Landolina is now the cofounder and CEO of Suneris, a biotech company that manufactures the gel. Suneris announced last week that it would begin to ship VetiGel to veterinarians later this summer. Humans won't be far behind.

When injected into a wound site, the gel can form a clot within 12 seconds and permanently heal the wound within minutes, Landolina says.

"The fastest piece of equipment we have measures every 12 seconds," Landolina tells Business Insider. "So we know that it happens in less than 12 seconds."

The science that makes this all possible is surprisingly basic.

Each batch of gel begins as algae, which is made up of tiny individual polymers. If you break those polymers down into even tinier pieces, "kind of like Lego blocks," Landolina says, you can put them into the gel and inject that gel into a wound site.

Once it hits the damaged tissue, whether it's open skin or a biopsied soft organ — livers, kidneys, spleens — the gel instantly forms a mesh-like structure.

"What that means, on the one hand, is that the gel will make a very strong adhesive that holds the wound together," Landolina says. "But on the other hand, that mesh acts as a scaffold to help the body produce fibrin at the wound's surface."

Fibrin helps repair tissue over the long-term. It's what allows VetiGel not only to work fast in sealing leaks, but to actually heal the skin. Within a few minutes of application, the gel can be safely removed.

From classroom to company
    As fast-acting as VetiGel is, its inventor may be faster.

Landolina invented an early version of the gel out of his grandfather's lab. He was still in high school.

As a freshman at New York University, he and a junior entered the gel in a business competition. Up against graduate students and university professors, they were they only undergraduates who entered. They took second place.

Over the next four and a half years, Landolina turned the prototype into a business. His project partner, Isaac Miller, became his cofounder and CFO. VetiGel started taking shape.

Today, Suneris is bringing VetiGel to the (four-legged) masses. The company is taking preorders from veterinarian offices and will begin shipment from its Brooklyn offices later this summer.
    The first product in the rollout is a five-pack of 5-milliliter syringes that costs $150. Landolina says Suneris has its sights set on a US rollout first, followed by a release in Europe and Asia sometime early next year. The company has partnered withVetPlus, a British company focused on animal medicine, to expand its manufacturing across the pond.

A few years down the line, Landolina says, the goal will be to expand out of vet offices to help treat members of our own species.

He forecasts receiving FDA approval within the year for testing on human wounds. If all goes according to plan, VetiGel will first help military personnel and EMTs treat traumatic injuries. Then it will enter operating rooms and, finally, individual homes.

Landolina says Suneris has yet to observe any negative side effects of VetiGel. The company holds weekly meetings with veterinarians to ensure the product meets their needs.

VetiGel isn't the only wound-healing invention of its kind. Another product, named — oddly enough —Vitagel, also helps the body stop bleeding quickly using similar methods.

A future in which we no longer have to make a panicked, blood-spurting trip to the hospital? Sign us up.

1Vegasgirl, Nice, smichal and 5 others like this.
  2. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Where can I get this?

3. kinneyjames

kinneyjames Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cool as hell. Good on him.

4. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    That's amazing. Until it gets approved for humans, I am stuck with this in the first aid kit

[​IMG]

Gusbuss, smichal, reno and 4 others like this.
  5. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Imagine this stuff on the battle field.

Mr. Potato Head, yaddc, reno and 4 others like this.
  6. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've never even heard of this ABA. Have you actually used it?

1Vegasgirl and Shortwave98 like this.
  7. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    I have. I hike a lot with my pooch and both of us have been gouged or scratched several times and used it. The bleeding stops immediately.

If you are at home and have a proper way to clean and dress a wound, make a tourniquet etc, it probably isn't needed. But for pets that won't sit still, little kids, first aid kits, your purse, the car, camping etc, I would highly recommend it.

8. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    Wow, thank you. I will look for it the next time I'm out. :up:

9. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    Here's a little (non graphic) video for anyone interested. I should have bought stock in the company :)

IfTheyOnlyKnew, yaddc and Shortwave98 like this.
  10. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    uh......
    [​IMG]

11. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're welcome again, rest of the fucking world...

[​IMG]

GIRLY, 1Vegasgirl, RenchFries and 7 others like this.
  12. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    yay smart people! :yay:

13. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if it is strong enough to use on bullet wounds or ruptured arteries?

14. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Ladies, please be advised that my semen can do the exact same thing.

15. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    jokes on him, this stuff already existed in star wars for years. its called bacta. :p

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  16. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I recall reading an article - I think it was in the NY Times - that said, yes European Health Care is less expensive, but that's b/c they wait for the United States to innovate, and then just piggy-back on it. I'm sure there are exceptions, however ... :dontknow:

17. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    I VERY much appreciate you finding and posting a video, but I gotta be honest and tell you - There no way I can click on it. There will obviously be SOME blood, and I just can't do it. :oops:

:hilarious:

:behave:
    But, will it help if you get hurt doing this? :bringit:

18. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That may be the dumbest fucking thing I ever heard.

European health care focuses more on prevention than miracle cures to keep unhealthy people alive. For example, it was announced the other day that 2 out of 3 Americans are now overweight or obese.

The Europeans live healthier, spend less, live longer, and per capita and per gdp drive more intellectual property in some cases. Their food also tastes better because it is not engineered for the fast food industry. My European friends all agree Americans excel at one thing though: the hamburger.

Pretty much every developed country has universal health care. For whatever reason, most Americans are convinced it is a bad thing for them.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Gusbuss like this.
  19. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well, that seems a bit reactionary.... I don't think it's quite that black and white. (and YES, I've lived in Europe, and YES, I have European friends .... )

Alisonsbankacct and Shortwave98 like this.
  20. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    No blood. It is a news broadcast.

You're pretty funny with the Darth Vader thing!:D

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.