Did gangster rap doom the Black Race in America?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tired, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I listen to Sirius 70's , 80's in my car and cannot get enough of the early days of hip hop. Where actually how well you spoke and pronounced the English language in rhymes and song made you the Master. Then came ho's, cop killing and bitch raps and the black kids embraced it. And a whole generation that wrote songs about black empowerment and positivity were gone and the gangsta life style and criminality as the ultimate status symbol was born and applauded as the ultimate goal of the kids.

2. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    US murder and crime rates have dropped steadily since the 90s. In fact, it's near the lowest it's been in a century.

It makes sense only until you look at the numbers. Would you rather live in Manhattan today...or Manhattan under Dinkins or Koch?

3. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There was also BDP and Public Enemy that talk more about educating people and self empowerment.

4. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No, rap just ruined the music landscape and made millionaires out of people who can barely read let along play original music. And at the same time has fooled people into thinking it is actually an art form.

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rap sucks,but I'm gonna have to go with slavery

7. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some rap bands do play their own music. Beastie boys and The Roots off the top of my head. It is an art form, maybe you just don't perceive it that way.

8. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:

im not talking about the overall murder rate. How about black on black crime? Black on black murder? Black crimes against whites? Obviously African Americans are busy with mayhem and the numbers show it.

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    There's murder rates and then there's murder rates. while the overall numbers fall somewhat, many areas are having a surge. I attribute this to the fact that people who don't want to be around that stupid shit move away, leaving enclaves of really bad crime. The overall rate falls, but in those areas it rises. But this is beside the point. Murder is not the black race's entire existence. If you shun productive activities, develop a negative attitude towards education, women, and the law, the fact that you weren't murdered or murder someone is beside the point. Looking at food stamp usage, (bad economy considered), drop out rates, employment, out-of-wedlock birth rates, public assistance use, and other criteria would be more to the point. But even then not everything on earth is quantifiable by some eggheads. A bad attitude and low-life behavior in one's personal life won't always show up in some statistic. Many "black" high schools that had been performing on higher than average levels have reported big drop-offs in results in the past few decades. Is it rap? Family life? Based on the disdain for education and hard work through most races in younger American I've observed, I'm going with pop culture in general. It could be rap/hip-hop with its "you gotta be rich or you're nothing" mentality, or it could be TV shows that depict everyone as living way beyond how the average person lives, and that even the most humbly employed enjoy hip happening city apartments and lifestyles including nightly clubbing and eating out with friends. Don't bother with learning. That waitress on season one is a wealthy fashion designer by season 5.

10. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Ironically, blacks didn't begin a massive social decline until the civil rights initiatives of the 60s.

11. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Amen brother

12. smp4life

smp4life Member

Reputations:
    Music (and movies/ tv) is influenced by reality, not the other way around.

13. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Great points. But I think that, "You gotta be rich or you're nothing" mentality existed long before rap...and rap is a product of it. It's not a product of rap. After movies like The Godfather and Goodfellas came, all the NY/NJ Ginzos were emulating that shit. But that doesn't change the fact that The Godfather and Goodfellas were only made because stupid thug Ginzos inspired that shit.

I think hip-hop might have helped to solidify a mentality that wasn't uniform across the country prior. I definitely don't think it was a positive thing. But I remember growing up in the 80s, before NWA, when Americans thought of NYC the same way they thought of Beirut. The ghetto was always the ghetto.

But, and I've mentioned this before, I grew up in central Long Island in a mixed community. I saw a ton of black kids who were my peers and came from nuclear working-middle class families. When the mid 90s came and gangsta rap became the biggest thing, we were teenagers. I saw so many of them try to emulate the "thug life." I lived two houses down from a black friend who had a mom who was a nurse and a dad who owned his own pluming company. They owned their house while my folks rented. The last time I saw him he and his cousin were trying to sell CDs where they rapped about carrying "gats" and having to rob people just to afford meals.

So, OK, maybe hip-hop has been a bad influence. But the majority of CDs were purchased by white kids. And I don't carry a gun because I'm worried about getting robbed by suburban wiggers in Parma.

14. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    It works both ways.

15. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You may want to inform the advertising industry of that.

I blame it all on this sonofabitch.

[​IMG]

16. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Doom the Black race? Almost everyone I know exhibits some level of wiggerness. :facepalm:

17. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You are correct sir.

18. Cunt

Cunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some crime is down, but stuff like black dropout rates, black single-mother household rates, black AIDS rates, and black children born out of wedlock rates are staggering high.

Crime will always be there - and some can be attributed to poverty - but you don't have to be wealthy to stay in school or use a god damned condom.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Speaking of Long Island, I just saw a 48 hours on the Long Island Serial Killer deaths. That doctor involved sure seems suspicious. Is the PD (Suffolk County?) there corrupt or incompetent? One missing girl's clothes and body were found near where she was last reported screaming and running, only 7 months later. I got the impression the police there are trying to say it was an accident to cover their rear ends for not responding more enthusiastically to TWO 911 calls.

20. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Suffolk County was hit or miss. That was where I grew up and, holy shit, the differences from town to town was drastic. It's the same county that has The Hamptons and Montauk and Central Islip and Wyandach (which makes Roosevelt look like Mayberry.) Some towns had cops who were cool as fuck. Others had roid rage assholes who loved to thump on anybody who didn't bow to them. I don't know about the Sheriff's office.....if they were the ones overseeing the case.