did howard ruin sirius

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by gd9tsd9tas9sa9, May 23, 2013.

1. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Most the other shows have no money in. The budgets for them to do much of anything

Howards big payday just seems to have sucked the life out sirius the company just sucks the music is on a three hour loop and all the hosts seem to be former interns or failed comics

2. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Nah, he really did save Sirius from having gone under. We all bought into the BS, well I didn't. I had Sirius before Howard was there cuz radio sux bad down here. I did chose sirius over xm though because I knew he was coming over and I hadn't heard the show in years at that point. If Howard had stayed on terrestrial Sirius wouldn't be here today, XM would have taken them over.

3. Mule

Mule New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Saved it. Caused the merger. Sucks ass now. :-(

4. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I agree with you in part Vashier, but as an early adopter who had chosen Sirius (I had just purchased a brand new panasonic car stereo in 2004 and got a great deal on the Sirius direct connect), I think that Howard gave Greenstein the ability to pay for programming he liked (Nordic Rox, need I say more?) over what listeners enjoyed. Almost all of my favorite shows/channels from those pre-Howard days are gone, and I would have kept my non-lifetime sub going for them. Just to list a few: Fangoria Radio, the original Hard Attack channel and its metal show and DJs, Fred Schneider on 1st Wave.

5. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He just delayed the eventual death, that's all

6. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Bought it for wig, cancelled for wig. I listen in ms. preacher's car occasionally.

7. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah I agree those original channels were much better than what they have now. I had XM in a rental for a weekend and I remember their music chans being like the setup we have now. But there would be no channels at all now if stern hadn't come here.

8. AngryWhite

AngryWhite New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    i was listening to sirius years before howard got there. i think they made their money back from the deal. probably a wash.

9. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He gets credit for saving SIRIUS, but he doesn't seem that interested in keeping it afloat. Can't blame him, he got paid already, he's got too much money and no drive anymore.

10. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    i gotta say sirius does have some cool programing. love the classic radio channel and love sinatra. great relaxing stuff when you have a stressful day. the music is great. howard is the only rusty nail. you know, the beef strew. i just never turn him on anymore.

11. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He helped them the first year, so the first contract was worth it. He hurt them by resigning because they paid too much for 3 boring, out of touch, unfunny shows a week for 40 weeks.

12. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sirius Ruined Howard.

13. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    THSS was 100 times better at KROCK and Satellite radio is just OK.

14. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I got Sirius because of Wigward. For about the first year of having Sirius, I primarily listened to Howard and gradually discovered the other chans.

Now I keep Sirius because of other content ranging from the music (Outlaw, Willie, 50s-90's, Lithium, Coffee House, etc) to NFL to Jay Thomas to the several news and politics chans. It is an incredible service IMO.

So, no. Pelican has not ruined Sirius. He's simply outlived his usefulness to Sirius. If he quit Sirius tomorrow, I would retain Sirius and Pelican would completely leave my radar.

15. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Sirius ruined Sirius: they were a second rate, expensive muzak service before Howard, and they are now a 3rd rate muzak service now. Their non Howard stations play the same "programmed" (ie. canned sequences) music day after day in 4 hour batches. Muzak (ie elevator music) is cheaper and often broadcast for free on subcarrier FM radio. Sirius persists currently because they don't need to make a profit; they are a tax loss for Liberty. They will be more valuable to Liberty once Howard moves on.

16. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard ruined Howard. Howard's greed contributed as greatly to Sirius' current woes as his early advertising contributed to its boon. Sirius xm is sstill decent. The only shitty part of it is h100 and h101. Otherwise, they're worth paying at least part of their subscription. I think the Nickel & diming is part of Howard's failed management style. Hopefully they silence Howard and update they're model, then they'll be worth paying for again...I do believe that their future is in broadcasting Internet feeds via satellite. That'll dwarf the merger as far as steps forward for the company...

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I bought my first Sirius a year before Howard announced that he was going to move there. I was lured by their NFL station. As a huge football fan and living in an area where the local radio station talked too much baseball all year round, I wanted to be able to listen to football talk whenever I wanted.

Sirius was gaining some momentum before Howard and much of their subscribers come from deals with auto manufacturers and unrelated to any content whatsoever. Based on the 2007 Abritron (the only one made public), Howard only had a few hundred thousand listeners. So his impact at least by 2007 was far smaller than it was reported and Howard claimed.

Fact of the matter is that Sirius has been failing for a long while. The merger wasn't a strong company consuming a weaker one. It was two companies on life support merging to keep the lights on. John Malone didn't acquire the company because it was a good bet. It was because SiriusXM desperately needed a short term loan to pay the bills and Malone fleeced them for controlling ownership of the company for that loan.

Howard had some impact on the company. Without Howard, the company now would be XMSirius rather than SiriusXM. But overall, Howard has been a failure for the company. Not as bad as say the Oprah channel (which was an XM mistake). But he cost far more than he brought in. I bet his new contract is at a fraction of his first contract. Howard would never admit it, but I can't see them paying him tens of millions a year in salary with their financial situation.

18. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    the sound quality of the music is crap

19. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Seems like the less Wiggy works the better Sirius does.
    Stock went way up this past year or so.

20. TaTa Toothy

TaTa Toothy New Member

Reputations:
    Got Sirius because of Howard. Dumped it because the equipment sucked. Had I stayed longer, I would have dumped it because of Howard.