Did Howard Stern kill WBCN?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2013/09/did_howard_stern_kill_wbcn
    [​IMG]
    Tell-all details fall of radio station

As it turns out, radio ratings king Howard Stern was the man who killed WBCN.

So says longtime ’BCN jock Carter Alan in a new book, “Radio Free Boston: The Rise and Fall of WBCN,†which chronicles the station’s journey from oddball, lefty broadcast free-for-all to Rock of Boston domination and eventual death after an incredible 41-year run.

“Howard Stern made a lot of money for a lot of stations and gave ’BCN huge ratings,†Alan said. “But ultimately, the addition of Stern in the morning created a schizophrenic station. People tuned in in the morning to hear Howard, then they were gone. People who listened to ’BCN for the music, it was hard to get them back if other stations were doing music better.

“’BCN became the Howard Stern Station, a music station, then a football station and it was very difficult to determine what ’BCN was.â€............................

2. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
  3. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    anyone who listened to charles laquidara in the 70's, including a future wig wearing pelican muthafucka while he was at bu, would rationaly say that the howard stern show borrowed alot of ideas from the big matress, especially the Mishigas segment

4. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    That fucken fuck, Robin. I know things about Carter Alan, but I'm not going to say them here. The fuck. That motherfucker.

5. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yup.

6. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Nirvana and the emo-fag generation killed rock. Scary that not much has changed in 20 years.. same bland gay shit.
    I'm glad I grew up in the 80's, the last decade that you could actually define. Plus all those hot sluts in spandex. :mjerk:

7. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Yoga pants have nothing on 80's work out clothes. :iohi5:

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes, Howard stole just as much from Laquidara as he did from Steve Dahl. As someone who listened to BCN in the 80s, I can tell you that Laquidara was far more talented than Howard and he was Howard, Jackie, Billy (although he had Billy most of the 80s and he did played a big part of the show), and Fred all rolled into one. He was more of an one man show. He used to do a entire shows totally in the character of Duane Ingall Glasscock (BTW, I think Billy West based Frye on Futurama on Glasscock).

He also brought producers and backoffice staff on the air before Howard did. In fact, he was doing it when Howard was at Boston University. Laquidara started the "Big Mattress" radio show on WBCN in 1972 and Howard was a freshman at BU in 1972.

Unlike Steve Dahl, Howard cannot deny his Laquidara influence. From the minute Howard moved the WBCN, he has always talked about how much he listened to the station and how innovative the station was.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  9. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Howard killed BCN when Billy left and started to work for/with Howard.

10. RobinsBedSores

RobinsBedSores VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Mark Parenteau killed BCN.

11. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Parenteau was already off BCN when he was exposed as a pedophile. He was gone from BCN in 1997. BCN was still a ratings giant back then.

I was kinda surprised he was at the book premiere though. I figured they would want to distance themselves from him.

12. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Whoa, this is some messed up stuff. I Googled this sick fuck and this is the first hit.

Former WBCN DJ is headed to prison

By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff, 4/5/2004

OFF THE AIR Former WBCN disc jockey Mark Parenteau will serve three years in federal prison for sexually abusing a child. The 54-year-old DJ, who left 'BCN in 1997, was indicted last year on a host of charges, including sexual abuse of minors, prostitution, and conspiracy. In January, he agreed to plead guilty to a single count of child sexual abuse. (He was accused of having sex with a 14-year-old boy.) A prolific partier during his 20 years at 'BCN, Parenteau was extremely close to the members of Aerosmith, which may explain why the band's former manager, Tim Collins, distributed a letter last fall soliciting donations for Parenteau's defense. After leaving Boston, Parenteau worked for two years in New York City and then at XM Satellite Radio in Washington, D. C., where his title was comedy program director and "resident lunatic." Over the weekend, an emotional Parenteau called close friend and Comedy Connection owner Bill Blumenreich, who had ponied up some of the dough to pay Parenteau's bail and had written a letter of reference to the sentencing judge, Patricia Broderick. Blumenreich said that Parenteau was upset because he had hoped to avoid prison and to be given probation.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2004/04/05/former_wbcn_dj_is_headed_to_prison?mode=PF

13. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:

Hair metal sucked

14. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Actually Grunge rock revived modern rock for a time. Modern rock stations like BCN in the late 90s started to play a lot more classic rock as hair metal became more and more of a parody of itself (other than Guns and a few others). Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and other Grunge bands caused rock to become more popular than ever. For the first time in a long time, it was about the music rather than a lot of hairspray and spandex with lead singers screaming all their lyrics and the lead guitarist just doing a bad Eddie Van Halen imitation.

It was the rock/rap guys like Limp Bizkit and generic rock bands like Fall Out Boys and Nickelback that killed rock. In fact, rock bands started to emulate Fall Out Boys and Nickelback rather than the Stones, Beatles, The Who, or other iconic 60s and 70s bands.

15. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I think the thing to keep in mind is that the imaginary dividing line of metal/grunge was a pure media creation. Bands like Mother Love Bone (who of course became Pearl Jam) and early Alice in Chains were sort of halfway between "grunge" and "metal". Grunge was a shitty label anyway, I have no clue what a band like The Meatpuppets has in common with Bush, but if you look under a grunge heading on a music site you're likely to find both. The whole early 90's rock scene was about getting back to the type of music bands like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath were making, or some of the more punk influenced bands were drawing influence from The Sex Pistols, Iggy and the Stooges, etc. It was more a revolt against shit like Poison and White Lion than a hatred of "metal" in general, a perfect example is that GNR was able to co-exist alongside grunge.

16. Rob0729

Reputations:
    My friend worked the door at a comedy club he was a regular host of in the early 90s. I met him a number of times. He was actually a very great guy (at least I thought at the time). Everyone knew he was gay. I think he was dating Anthony Clark at the time who although was an adult was much younger than him. But I would never had guessed he was a scumbag pedophile.

17. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Mother Love Bone and Alice and Chains definitely had a metal influence and there was two major categories of Grunge - the Nirvana minimalist types who were influenced by the Melvins and other more punk bands and Pearl Jam guitar driven type that was influenced by Mother Love Bone (since they had some of the same band members). But basically, Grunge was a mix of punk and metal and bands fell all over the place in the spectrum between the two. Grunge was a catch all of this influence.

I agree to a point that Grunge was media creation because they threw almost every band with a rock sound in that category. For example, Stone Temple Pilots are thrown in this category, but they are more of a pure rock influence and really aren't part of the Grunge movement. Other guys But there was definitely a segment of the music of the early 90s that was Grunge. The media just decided to expand that definition of a Grunge band to be any modern rock act that wasn't a metal band.

18. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Did you hear when Stern interviewed Dale Crover a few years ago? It was amazing, for the top rock DJ of that period he had no clue about the music, and on top of that was really insulting to and dismissive of the guy (and basically just interviewed him to ask him about Courtney Love).

19. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he just kept asking him if he was sad he was never in nirvana and couldnt get his head around the fact that he was satisfied in doing his own thing rather than marbles. it was one of the worst interviews i ever heard, totally embarassing for ol wiggy

i dont get the premise of the thread , he killed the station by getting high ratings?

20. Rob0729

Reputations:
    I missed that interview, but Howard's music knowledge is limited to the Dave Clark Five, Mountain, and whatever research Will puts in front of his face at the time. I have heard Howard prior to that interview have no clue who the Melvins were and how stupid Crover was to pass on being a permanent member of Nirvana to be with the Melvins even though the Melvins were far bigger than Nirvana at that point.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013