Did howie really save sirius ?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SternsEgo, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anyone actually know how many people signed over to sirius when howie announced the move ? The number I heard was 7 million.

Also didn't the merger happen cause both companies were doing poorly ?

2. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    20 mil. according to him and he never lies

[​IMG]

codeine, Scarlett Ohara and DuckDong like this.
  3. Stiv Bators

Stiv Bators Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would have never signed up if not for him.

I believe he really did.

4. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Both companies had "potential". Howard tapped into that potential and saved both. He is amazing.
    image.jpg

codeine and SalsMasterShake like this.
  5. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I signed up because of him. I also cancelled because of him. He didn't save shit.

6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Just like he saved AGT.

7. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I enthusiastically signed up only because of that dickwad and it was downhill ever since. His numbers vary according to the dates. When he first started at SIRIUS his numbers were something like 4 million "new subscribers" and then they started estimating that each subscription carries with it 2-3 additional people that also listen to the broadcast which automatically triple the numbers.

8. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    Drove 90 minutes in a snow storm to the states for the radio,so I did it for him.

9. rebelfan

rebelfan Active Member

Reputations:
    As the last man standing, with the most toys, Howard has become the writer of history on that subject...

...now if a 'something' were to occur that ended 'satellite radio' our world would continue spinning as if nothing happened.

10. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As much as I hate Howard he really did help them out a lot by bringing several 100,000 people over quickly.

So funny how he made me love and support him and pay for radio and now I realize he is just an unfunny piece of shit.

Jenjim2021, codeine, OV and 3 others like this.
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Covino and Rich save the company.

Wiggy and Joe Bauers like this.
  12. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They got my 15 bucks a month because of him, now they get my $5 a month in spite of him.

13. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He did. We have to remember that the show really was awesome then, so he deserved the recognition. But he fucked it all up.

monsoon and SalsMasterShake like this.
  14. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yes he drove many of us to Sirius and helped them drive up their subs and stock price, and enabled them to buy XM. But consolidation was destined to happen. If he was really a savior he would have created a viable new medium. He didn't.

His loyal followers (me included back then) would have put tin foil on our heads to listen to the show back then. That's not creating or saving anything.

as others have said - just like the editing of the "tapes" - he is rewriting history.

BTW - satellite is dead in five years. Replaced by Internet in cars - and that will happen even if Howie stays on Sirius

15. itsawig

itsawig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    XM subscribers went up at the same pace due to deals with the car companies. I've seen it posted here that stern was responsible for approximately 1 million subscribers. That was then. Now on-demand cancels Howard tv and thanks his loyal "thousands of fans", and those subs were only $6 a month.

16. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I bought 35 radios for my family and 68 subscriptions.

17. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Him signing the deal ultimately got me over to Sirius, but to be fair, I had been thinking about going as early as 2002 or 2003. He did seal the deal for me. I had a real belief in my mind that going there would be some kind of epiphany for all of us and we'd be able to hear real discussion the way happens when real humans talk.

And yes, we get to hear "fuck" and "cunt" and "cocksucker" all the time.

Great.

I stopped caring after a while because I realized that with Hamptons Howie the laugh was in how we all tiptoed around the actual matter at hand without saying what it REALLY was. Mentally, we were all reverting back to when we were 12 and HAD to talk like that. And not to get too philosophical or deep, but it really kept us young at heart. For all the filthy shit we were hearing (but not) we got to be creative and smart and childish and still know he was talking about a woman's pussy.

That and, of course, the ratings book kept him working very hard because I do think it is a hard job to do the whole "show me don't tell me" thing. My ass hole hog of a language arts teacher kept saying that shit EVERY GOD DAMN DAY in 7th grade. I hated her, but I think it's one of the most valuable things I ever learned from any of my teachers in school. Howard did that.

Then he went to Sirius.

Next was the Hamptons.

For every subscriber he brought, I'm curious to see how many actually stay or are still around in January 2016 after 10 years of Sirius.

codeine and SternsEgo like this.
  18. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    Idk that he saved it, but he definitely helped. I believe about 2 million signed up when he came over. At $15 per month, that's $30 million per month. However, I can't imagine that many of those initial customers are staying for Howard. I WAS staying and paying for Howard (and Opie and Jimmy) but without a call or email, they cut my account off. So now I just make up a new email address each month and get the app for free. Fuck SXM.

19. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :spit::haha::backlol2:

Snort and yaddc like this.
  20. Maklershed

Maklershed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He helped legitimize satellite radio as a medium, particularly for other talent/djs, but I think Sirius and XM were gonna explode in popularity when they did anyway. Of course now we see it was all for naught as it was mostly just a fad. In a few years we'll look at satellite radio the same as 8 track and cassette tapes.

codeine and Getoninja like this.