Stern Show Did Private Parts the Movie Kill Rysher Entertainment's Feature Film Division?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Benjamen, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Last week while researching Private Parts the movie for my next Fact-Finding thread, I came across this article about Howard's biopic in the Los Angeles Times. It was published on March 7, 1997, the day of Private Parts' release:

Rysher Entertainment, which entirely financed the $26-million comedy, is sorely in need of a hit. The film and television company, owned by Cox Enterprises, has had a rough time entering the high-risk motion picture arena over the last two years, financing a string of duds including "Evening Star," "Turbulence" and "Three Wishes."

I remembered reading another quote about Rysher envisioning Private Parts as the next Wayne's World at the box office. (Howard himself even confidently predicted on the air that Private Parts would easily outperform Wayne's World.) So Rysher went all-in, spending a small fortune, with the confidence that they'd make a huge fortune in return.

Well, we know how that turned out:

[​IMG]

(Wayne's World even made another $61,400,00 in foreign receipts.)

Watching Private Parts for the first time in 10 years last week, I wondered why I hadn't seen the Rysher logo show up before a movie in such a long time. Then I found this article in Variety. It was published just four months after Private Parts hit the theaters:

Rysher Calls 'Cut!'

After three prolific but unprofitable years in the feature film business, Rysher Entertainment is calling it quits. ...

... The move will result in the elimination of about 40 full-time positions, mainly among feature production and marketing executives and support staff.

... Employees were greeted Tuesday morning by memos inviting them to a 10 a.m. meeting at which president and CEO Tim Helfet announced the layoffs “with little ceremony,” according to one source.

In explaining the decision, Helfet said that Rysher had lost money on its theatrical product. “The performance of our film slate is not news. The fact of the matter is, with few exceptions, we just haven’t been able to produce films that found an audience.”

... The decision to get out of the film business comes just a month after founder and former CEO Keith Samples exited the six-year old company (Daily Variety, June 1).

... “I don’t think the business of just co-financing films is a business for us to be in,” said Helfet.

Odd that Howard never mentions the dearly departed Rysher when he talks about Private Parts. He only mentions Paramount Pictures, the movie's distributor ...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. icypussy

icypussy clit finder Gold

Reputations:
    Never admit anything Robin!

3. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I'm listening to 1996 shows.
    Rysher was not happy with Howard and Weavy was bashing them on the air
    Gunky had script approval and had the script re-re-re-written many times.

4. gridlockd

gridlockd Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'd like to read one of those early drafts. It sounded much wackier. Richard Simmons was to play his housekeeper in one version.

Ta Ta Toothy and XaltedSmoke like this.
  5. Benjamen

Reputations:
    From another article I read last week:

"Even after Stern approved the script, it went through another 24 drafts."

Penelope, MAEROZE, ARM and 6 others like this.
  6. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    "My fans are a community, Robin! Every ticket purchased for Private Parts had 17 people chipping in! The theatres were packed, Robin!"

ARM likes this.
  7. Benjamen

Reputations:
    I think the rewrites were necessary to sculpt Howard's character into a man of integrity and conviction, even where that wasn't an issue.

For example, there's a totally fictitious sequence in Hartford where an actress tries to seduce Howard in her hotel bathtub / Howard objects because he's married / Howard accidentally leaves his wet underwear in the car, where Alison finds it the next day / Howard says at dinner they're moving to Detroit the next day for his new job, and Alison shows him the underwear and says she's not going because she doesn't trust him anymore. Howard spends his first month in Detroit alone, heartsick over Alison, until he's surprised to find her at his door one day. He pledges to be true to her forever.

But that's all bullshit. In Private Parts the book, Howard said Alison was required to give a month's notice before she could leave her job. So that's why he had to live without her for a month. No drama. And certainly no actress trying to seduce a gunky Hartford radio morning man.

Penelope, KDK12, Cookiepus and 23 others like this.
  8. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    Mr. Roper, it's not what it looks like! It's all a misunderstanding!

9. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, but he DID get on his hands and knees while Robin was a real estate agent in Manhattan to beg her to come back after she was fired, right?

SlinkyNeckStern and Benjamen like this.
  10. Benjamen

Reputations:
    They really schticked up that script. In college, Howard asks a blind woman to go out on a date, and she rejects him after touching his nose? Howard plays frisbee with a mental patient, hitting him in the head with each throw? Howard accidentally punches out the WNBC execs as they struggle for the phone? Come on, this is killer shit!

Penelope, Sickboy, MAEROZE and 10 others like this.
  11. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was disappointed when I saw Private parts. I thought it was a little weak. My wife liked it though. Maybe it was meant to be a chick flick?

ARM, Scarlett Ohara and unclefreddy like this.
  12. Benjamen

Reputations:
    Well, the structure of the movie is: Howard is on a plane sitting alone (with no security guard, no Buchwald, no Gary) in first class after appearing as Fartman at the MTV awards in Los Angeles. A beautiful businesswoman type (played by (super)model Carol Alt) sees she's assigned the seat next to Howard, then asks a stewardess if she can move seats. Howard decides he's going to charm her by telling her his life story -- how honest and dedicated he is, and what a family man he is. By the end of the flight, Howard turns to the camera and says, "I know I could get her now. But I love Alison." He exits the plane with his loving wife and three daughters waiting for him (with "No Rain" by Blind Melon playing in the background), and Howard introduces the sexy businesswoman to his family.

So I'd say it was definitely meant to be a chick flick.

Penelope, Sickboy, ARM and 15 others like this.
  13. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Sounds like Buchwaldco Worldwide and Howie scammed another company. Is anyone surprised?

Sickboy, MAEROZE, Bye You! and 7 others like this.
  14. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard bankrupts!

No one else!!

Sickboy, Dlist, ARM and 8 others like this.
  15. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Another incredible analysis @Benjamen 1 thumbs up Hmus' ass.

The movie was filled with BS....thanks for saying what needed to be said.

MAEROZE, ARM, LaserT and 4 others like this.
  16. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    I dragged my then girlfriend to the movie. We were living in Madison WI at the time, really pre-Internet. Howard wasn't on in Madison and she barley knew who he was. If I remember, she found it mildly entertaining.

ARM likes this.
  17. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love it when Howard makes proclamations like the Wayne's World prediction. He did the same thing when he was promoting Son of the Beach, comparing it to a show infinitely funnier that is still on the air. "I got this new show for you, Robin. It's gonna be way better than that South Park show. It's called son of the beach."

Bye You!, Dlist, ARM and 2 others like this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    FX was stuck in the 'sand of the Beach' until 'The Shield' came along and replaced it.

Cookiepus and ARM like this.
  19. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nah, I'm a chick and I was :sleep: in the theater.

20. Benjamen

Reputations:
    I had forgotten about some of the stuff Howard did to promote the movie. Anyone remember him showing up on Wheel of Fortune to push Private Parts? (I actually taped it. :facepalm:) And he had those big specials on E! And MTV. He even lied about his movie's test scores when he appeared on the Today Show to promote it. Howard said Private Parts received the highest-rated test scores in Paramount's history — higher even than crowd-pleasing Forrest Gump. (Private Parts actually received Paramount's third-highest test scores, behind Oscar-winner Forrest Gump ($329,694,499 domestic box office gross) and Oscar-winner Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ($197,171,806 domestic box office gross).)

I think Rysher was completely blindsided by the box office failure.

Penelope, KDK12, MAEROZE and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.