Diet Soda Sales Decreasing Amid Research On Potential Health Effects

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Dec 12, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Diet Soda Sales Decreasing Amid Research On Potential Health Effects[/h] Posted: 12/10/2013 3:16 pm EST
    [​IMG]

Sales of diet soda
    have declined nearly 7 percent in the past year, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The Journal, which first reported the drop in sales, also reported that sales of regular soda have dropped 2.2 percent over the same time period. The finding comes from a Wells Fargo analysis of Nielsen scanner data that includes drink purchases made up until Nov 23.
    The trend isn't new: Declines in diet soda consumption have outpaced those of regular soft drinks over the last three years, according to Good Morning America.
    Diet soda has been the focus of a growing body of research in recent years. Some studies have showed associations between consumption of diet soda and weight gain (though researchers point out that it's hard to determine a causal relationship -- for example, overweight or obese people may drink more diet soda than thin people because they are more likely to be actively trying to lose weight with low-calorie items). Other studies have also suggested links between diet soda consumption and stroke and Type 2 diabetes. However, experts note that much is still not known about diet soda's effects on health -- which could end up being the beverage's biggest issue of all.
    "We don’t really know a whole lot about what these specific artificial sweeteners do to the brain reward system. We know their safety -– they're FDA-approved -- but don’t know enough about the long-term effects on appetite," said Nicole Avena, Ph.D., a sugar addiction researcher and assistant professor at the University of Florida, previously told HuffPost.
    TIME also pointed out that the report also showed an increase in concern regarding GMO (genetically modified) foods.
    "The biggest trend in food, really, is a desire for consumers to move away from things that are very processed," Laurie Demerit, the CEO of the Hartman Group, told TIME

2. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Plus they taste like shit. Anyone who would rather drink some weirdass chemical instead of sugar is an idiot anyways.

3. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    I hardly drink soda anymore, either version is awful for your health.

4. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to drink diet coke all the time before I gave a shit about being healthy and avoiding processed foods.

Tried to mix a bit of diet pepsi with some cheap whiskey and it tasted like shit.

Tasted like chemicals and made my tongue go numb.

5. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    That's what I suspected since that study came out. Diet soda is drunk most by two types of people: (1) people who always eat responsibly and (2) the people who order French fries and cheeseburgers but think it's "OK" because they're drinking diet soda.

6. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    I quit drinking diet soda earlier this year because it was making me feel like shit. I always had a headache, nothing major but a minor headache all of the time. I quit drinking that shit and a few days later the headaches were gone. I try to stick to nothing but water nowadays.

7. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Pretty much nothing but still and sparkling water for me outside of useful drinks like beer.

8. ClumpyStern

Reputations:
    You may just be phenylketonuric...which basically just means aspartame gives you headaches.

9. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    There was this story last May:

Diet Soda's Effect On Teeth Terrifyingly Similar To Effects Of Meth, Crack Cocaine (PHOTO)

The Huffington Post | By Meredith Bennett-Smith Posted: 05/28/2013

[​IMG]

Diet soda can have the same effect on your tooth enamel as methamphetamine or crack cocaine use -- and it's not pretty.
    In a three-person case study published in the March/April 2013 issue of the journal General Dentistry, Dr. Mohamed Bassiouny studied the teeth of a diet soda drinker and two drug addicts and found similar dental erosion among all three.
    "You look at it side-to-side with 'meth mouth' or 'coke mouth,' it is startling to see the intensity and extent of damage more or less the same," Bassiouny, a professor of restorative dentistry at Temple University's Kornberg School of Dentistry, told HealthDay.
    The three participants included a woman in her thirties who drank two liters of diet soda daily for three to five years, a 29-year-old methamphetamine addict and a 51-year-old habitual crack cocaine addict, according to the case study. All three came from similar socioeconomic backgrounds and lived in urban areas with fluoridated public water.
    According to an Academy of General Dentistry press release, the three people experienced severe erosion of their tooth enamel, a condition caused by acid. When the enamel is worn away, teeth become more susceptible to cavities and other problems. Diet soda, methamphetamine and crack cocaine are all highly acidic substances, the release notes.
    The American Beverage Association disputed the study's claims, telling HealthDay in a statement that "the body of available science does not support that beverages are a unique factor in causing tooth decay or erosion," and to imply that diet soda consumption caused the woman's tooth erosion "is irresponsible."
    However, in an interview with Business Insider, Bassiouny defended his comparison, adding that over a long dental career he had observed hundreds of similar soda-caused erosion cases.
    "I was trying to make a parallel between drug abusers — and the usual neglect for themselves — and put this with the same traits of someone who drinks diet soda," Bassiouny said.
    The idea that drinking diet soda might be bad for your teeth is not new, however, as evidenced by a 2011 Huffington Post blog written by New York City cosmetic dentist Dr. Thomas P. Connelly:
    The problems with soda are twofold: first, the sugar content is bad for your teeth (but that fact is pretty obvious). The second bad part is the acidity, which is quite high in soda pop. Acidic content (aka pH) is measured on a scale of 0 (most acidic) to 14 (least). Battery acid is a 1 on the scale -- tap water is a 7 (this may seem backwards, but yes, the higher numbers are less acidic. Blame science.)

10. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    I drink a lot of water but also enjoy my diet Mtn Dew. Everything in moderation. Going to fucking die one day anyway so I'm not going to go without a diet soda when I feel like it.

11. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    i was just about to say that. Seriously, that is exactly what happened to me. I used to have a bottle of Tylenol in the car, not anymore after I gave up soda.

12. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Exactly! A soda or two a week isn't too bad, but people that are just guzzling that shit like there's no tomorrow are fucking themselves over.

13. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Clumpy had a good point...you might just not agree with the aspartame...its just as well anyway, diet soda is bad shit...not only did the headaches go away but I just feel healthier and have more energy. All because of cutting out a few cans of Diet Pepsi a day.

14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Uh, if you're going to toss our fleeting mortality into the equation why not completely throw caution to the wind and make it a regular soda?

15. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i can't remember the last time i drank soda.....

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i drink tea, gallons of tea. if regular soda was made with cane sugar i wouldn't mind some occasionally but i'm convinced fructose is as bad or worse than any artificial sweetener so i would rather have diet soda than regular with HFCS

17. JasperBugg

JasperBugg Member

Reputations:
  18. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Excellent philosophy.

19. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Watch out for kidney stones with all that tea, bud.

20. ClumpyStern

Reputations:
    Thanks. There are also a lot of other explanations for that too. Most soda contains a lot of caffeine. If you're drinking it within 6+hours of sleeping, it can reduce the quality of you sleep without your ever realizing it. That might also have lot to do with feeling shitty the next day.