Amazon Prime

Digestive Health Poll & Information

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GSD, Feb 1, 2012.

?

My digestion is 1-4 (Pick 1) & my symptoms are 5-10 (Check all boxes that apply)

Poll closed May 10, 2012.
  1. Excellent (No Symptoms; I love raw garlic)

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Good (Some Symptoms; If I eat the wrong thing it causes problems)

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Fair (A number of things I wish it were better)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Poor (I dread eating, Raw garlic might kill me)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Gas/Bloating

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Regular Constipation/Frequent Diarrhea/Hemorrhoids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Difficulty with Weight (Gain/Loss/Fluctuation)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Acid Reflux

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  9. Food Cravings

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  10. Other: Please Describe

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Digestive Health Poll & Discussion

Since this seems to be a problem that many people seem to have I have decided to start off with a poll and open discussion on this topic that will tie into a future larger health and wellness assessment that everyone can work with their qualified licensed health care professional(s) to .

Please feel free to share whatever experiences, symptoms, questions, or other information you have on this topic

Digestive health problems can have serious effects on the body and are caused by and cause many issues with the body. They can be the root cause, an underlying symptom of another issue(s) or both.

There are many foods and herbs that can help soothe, manage, or repair the digestive tract. These will be noted in here and in Diet & Nutrition, Herbs, Superfoods, and elsewhere in the Forum where appropriate

POLL INSTRUCTIONS
    My digestion is 1-4 (Pick 1) & my symptoms are 5-10 (Check all boxes that apply) - If the full description is not under the poll entry use the the ones below for a complete guide

1. Excellent (No Symptoms; I love raw garlic)
    2. Good (Some Symptoms; If I eat the wrong thing it causes problems)
    3. Fair (A number of things I wish it were better)
    4. Poor (I dread eating, Raw garlic might kill me)
    5. Gas/Bloating
    6. Regular Constipation/Frequent Diarrhea/Hemorrhoids
    7. Difficulty with Weight (Gain/Loss/Fluctuation)
    8. Acid Reflux
    9. Food Cravings
    10. Other: Please Describe

Some Causes, Symptoms & Signs of Digestive Problems

* Immune System Problems / Sickness
    * Food Cravings
    * Nutritional imbalance
    * Malnutrition
    * Low/High Stomach Acid (Often age & diet related)
    * Low Enzyme Levels (Often realted but could be far more serious)
    * Bacterial Imbalance or Bacterial Overgrowth
    * Parasites (Bacterial or Regular)
    * Incorrect Alkaline or Acid level in the right portion of the digestive tract
    * Malabsorption
    * Problems with any number of major organs can manifest themselves through digestive issues
    * IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    * Bladder Infections
    * Hemorrhoids
    * Colitis
    * Ulcers
    * Bloating
    * Gas
    * Indigestion
    * Acid Reflux
    * Constipation
    * Diarrhea
    * Hormone imbalance
    * Major organ issues
    * Mental Problems
    * Eye problems
    * Hormone Imbalance
    * Weight Gain
    * Weight Loss
    * Lack/Excess Hunger

Interestingly digestive issues can cause a chain reaction with other organs and systems in the body causing serious and even life threatening results if not identified and treated. For example, a bacterial overgrowth can overwhelm the body

My experience is that I will always search for the root cause of the problems I am having and seriously consider the suggested course of action recommended by my qualified licensed health care professional. This serves 3 purposes.
    1. I am able to search for a permanent solution to my problem.
    2. I will not be asked to take possibly dangerous or addictive prescription medication that may mask the root cause of the problem by just addressing a symptom or symptoms without finding the root cause.
    3. If I didn't find the root cause it very possibly could lead to a worsening of the condition, further problems and possibly more serious unforseen and even life-shortening consequences

If you would like to learn more these are some very informative books you could buy. Some availble for free on Google Books

http://books.google.com/books?id=69...q=textbook on gastroenterology yamada&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=U6...v=onepage&q=atlas of gastroenterology&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ub...ok of Gastroenterology and Hepatology&f=false

*VERY IMPORTANT: As always with all Dawg Saloon related Health and Wellness posts, PM's and other information on this site and in this forum you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions disclosed in this forum and on this site whether you are a member, supporter, staff, visitor or have access to the information here through any other means. And do not rely on anything you read here. Be sure to see a qualified licensed health care professional immediately if you are having digestive or other medical issues and have any concerns of any nature.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. keywordpk

keywordpk Perpetual Geek Gold

Reputations:
    Love raw garlic and do not have any of the symptoms listed. I have worked hard over the last year or so to improve my health and wellness.

3. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Shed Founder

Reputations:
    What are the benefits to raw garlic?

4. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    :woot:

Thanks PK :hat:

5. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Shed Founder

Reputations:
    I'm trying to figure out the garlic tie in here.

6. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Wow, so many

Garlic is:

Alkaline forming food (More on PH levels of digestion & Acid/Alkaline forming foods in How the Body Works & Diet & Nutrition)
    antiviral (excellent for cold/flu prevention)
    antibacterial (This can be particularly helpful in cases of bacterial overgrowth like yeast, giardia etc which are common in people with various digestive disorders anywhere from stomach all the way through the colon)
    anti-parasitic
    anti-oxidant
    rich in manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C + lesser amounts of 6 other vitamins and minerals
    lowers cholestrol
    helps normalize blood pressure
    excellent blood detoxification
    improves insulin metabolism
    lowers glucose levels and helps with blood sugar control
    + more

Anyone with digestive issues should be cautious and be sure to identify what the cause of their particular problem is first as garlic can irritate the stomach or intestines

If there are stomach issues there are products that are enteric coated that will not dissolve until they reach the small intestine to prevent things like stomach or duodenal irritation and possible reflux

Since the benefits of garlic are significant there are ways including the use of herbs and other supplements to strengthen and heal the digestive tract in order to still take garlic

Caution: Also, I seem to to recall reading a medical journal article that you should not take garlic before surgery as it can thin the blood causing excess bleeding

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    This may more completely answer Dawg's second question and also some additional information for people that have serious digestive issues.

My experience has been that people that dislike garlic, especially raw garlic, frequently have digestive issues that cause a reaction to taking garlic.
    The individual reaction and location(s) of where it causes discomfort can be an indicator of what the root cause of the problem is for that person.
    An initial negative reaction in reality may just be a positive one resulting in some bad initial effects.
    This would be particularly true in the case of bacterial imbalances, bacterial over growths, and parasites.
    In the case of bacterial issues there may be what's called a Jarish-Herxheimer reaction. This is supposed to be due the waste of the dying bacteria flooding your system and overwhelming it.
    The symptoms are things like clouded thinking, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, drowsiness, dizziness or weakness, fever and chills, loss of appetite, headache or irritability, difficulty swallowing, double or blurred vision, seizures and more.
    This might occur when taking anti-biotics or eating something like garlic that causes a severe reaction in the body while the body is attempting to detoxify itself.

An example, a person that has diverticulitis will likely have bacterial and possibly parasitic problems since the pockets that are formed in the walls of the intestine can trap bacteria and allow organisms to hide in them.
    Interestingly I have been unable to find any research that definitively identifies the cause of diverticulitis. Please share it if you find it.
    I've read various theories and plenty of medical conjecture. If anyone values my personal opinion I strongly believe that a major contributing factor is an improper diet and/or digestion of foods over time that leads to inflammation and damage to the intestine.
    Once the cause of the problem is identified and corrected these can be healed. I have read not eat garlic, nuts, seeds and other foods that may become trapped in these pockets.
    And I have also read where these foods are ok. Most medical information I've read indicates that low fiber diets and constipation contribute or worsen the problem and increasing fiber in the diet is very important.

There are 2 types of fiber soluble and insoluble. Check with your nutritionist to determine what amounts and types they recommend for your specific situation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    Wow............great thread................

9. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    Why does my belly burn after I eat CHIPS AHOY cookies..like if I ate a spaghetti dinner???????

What's the common ingredient???????

10. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    Tums and milk are the only 2 things to help put the fire out..............

11. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    Also I read that eating too many Tums is no good for your stomach.

Is that true?????????

12. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    I know they promote Tums as a good source of calcium..but so is milk...also I read once how some guy cracked a tooth trying to chew a Tums.............

13. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    So is TUMS safe to the body???????????

14. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Cow's milk is acid forming and is high in simple sugars (lactose made up of glucose & galactose) and tums is an antacid. They are doing the opposite of each other but both may provide temporary relief that masks the problem and then make things worse later.

The common factors in these foods are carbohydrates and white flour

Cookies: Sugar for carbs creating high stomach acidity
    Pasta & Tomato Sauce: Pasta has complex carbs whose effects on blood sugar and stomach acidity vary based on how long you cook it. Longer = Higher amounts of both + Tomato which is a fruit and contains simple sugars which create acid. When tomatoes are cooked into sauce it becomes even more acidic
    White Flour in Both - Also acid forming. Eliminating all white foods from your diet and replacing them with whole foods, especially complex carbohydrate whole foods will help reduce acidity

I assure you permanently making healthy changes and balancing your diet will at least help alleviate some of your digestive problems so don't just see a doctor see a nutritionist as well.
    Your nutritionist can assess the amounts of vitamins and minerals trace elements (VMTE) are in your diet and can create a meal plan for you. Your doctor should be able to check your (VMTE) levels through testing as well as stomach acidity and also bacterial levels and your digestive capability through a stool test.

If you look into whether foods are acid or alkaline forming and eat a balanced whole foods diet this will help. Also removing all deep fried foods, processed foods, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, refined foods including all white foods like flour, rice, pasta, bread, crackers, cereal, and simple sugars like table sugar and high-fructose corn syrup will definitely help as well.

If you want some suggestions keep a Food Log of everything you eat and drink for at least a week and post it here (See the GSD Complete Health & Wellness Thread for sample Food Log)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  15. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    Wow............THANK YOU for your help.................

16. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    So white flour causes acid ...........I DID NOT know that...........it explains a lot..............

I also didn't know whole MILK caused stomach acid to increase.........EXCELLENT information to know............Thanks.......

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  17. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    I cooked a chicken the other day and Fannie Farmer cookbook told me to add 2 cups of WHITE FLOUR to thicken the stock to make gravy....what would be a safe alternative to thicken the gravy?????

18. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    I no longer eat white bread.........I'll eat whole wheat.....rye..... potato bread.........or tortilla shells.......do these contain WHITE FLOUR??????

19. GRATEFUL DEAD

GRATEFUL DEAD Member

Reputations:
    On the packages do they actually write........"CONTAINS WHITE FLOUR" in the ingredients???????

Can they label it another way so it looks like the product does not contain WHITE FLOUR..........when in actuality it DOES contain it???????????

20. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    GD: Are you eating wavy gravy?

So far a large proportion of your diet appears to be creating excess digestive acids & bile acids that will overly acidify you and likely cause a bacterial imbalance.

Maintaining a proper PH & bacterial balance throughout your body in coordination with a proper diet and exercise will help anyone out

Difference portions of your digestive system maintain different levels of PH. Maintaining this is very important.

Some things that change this for good or bad are diet (food and drink), exercise, stress, function and capacity of your organs to operate properly & age

If you have digestive problems seeing a doctor and nutritionist and having them assess you and your diet is extremely important

Speak to your nutritionist after you see your doctor. The list below is not complete and not 100% accurate IMHO but will give you an idea on where the foods you eat fall into your diet.

http://www.circlesoflearning.org.au/pdf/ALKALIZING FOODS ACID FORMING FOOD1.pdf

If you want some suggestions keep a Food Log of everything you eat and drink for at least a week and post it here (See the GSD Complete Health & Wellness Thread for sample Food Log)