DirectTV and the Direction of the Show

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by PANTECIDE, Jul 27, 2012.

1. PANTECIDE

PANTECIDE New Member

Reputations:
    I've been listening to Rick and Marty since the 1st pod cast and haven't missed too many shows, they've replaces THSS, WFAN, etc. in my day to day.

Is anyone else worried about the minor sterilization that has taken place over the last few months and how much of an impact a television broadcast will have on content restrictions?

Seems like Gnat King Cole is already pumping the brakes hard on the show following the Lin hype and any time a group is joked about the fellas hear it the next morning. Was Andre the San Francisco Giant really that offensive?

2. Gunnar

Gunnar New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think it is Ken Kohl by the way. Also, isn't it "Nag King Kohl"?

Personally, I think Nick and Artie are radio pros and know the boundaries for on-air content.

Artie seems to like to cross the line (a little bit), especially when he is in a dark phase.

Ken Kohl seems to have the task of balancing the show's content between being edgy enough to attract new radio markets and not being too edgy to drive them away.

It may not be a bad idea for some one to try putting boundaries on Artie, but I think all they will do is fuck up the show.

I trust Nick's instincts, if he is not having a problem with content then they (directTv) should leave it alone.

Gunnar,

3. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Who's Marty? :jj:

4. Gunnar

Reputations:
    Exactly my thoughts too PokeSmot!

5. Merespliff

Merespliff Member

Reputations:
    it's funny that for as "edgy" and offensive as Nick Di Paolo is supposed to be, if you listen to the show he and Artie did with Norton and Attel before their show at Foxwoods, Nick explained how he had his own terrestrial show WITHOUT A SIDEKICK for 6 months without ever getting dumped or a complaint ONCE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnY8rlFYAI

it's Artie they gotta worry about I think. Although I absolutely ADORE Artie, he seems to sometimes just go for the laugh without thinking of the ramifications. Which I personally think is what he should be doing, but the suits at DirecTV probably won't be thrilled.

I just hope they don't try to clean it up too much a la Dan Patrick. I think since it's on later at night it should be okay. I love DP but N&A are way more hilarious and should be left alone.

6. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think they said something about "breaking bad habits" when they go to TV on last night's show. I have a feeling that all their material about women will be the next thing to bite the dust, I can see people getting pisssy about that when the TV show starts. I can't wait to see them on TV, but I think the show will "evolve" once they're on TV and it won't be for the better comedy-wise. (For all you guttersnipes that like whore, Jew, and fag jokes anyway.)

7. Merespliff

Merespliff Member

Reputations:
    as a woman, i have to admit, although i find MOST of their women jokes funny, some of it is a little off-putting. i know that Artie always says he's the direct opposite of sexist, because of how much he loves his mother and sister, but many times he's stated that the only women who aren't lying stupid whores are "those related to me, dan, and nick."

i mean it really is funny for the most part and i get that they're going for the joke a lot of the times, but Jeez. it's a little weird to hear how we're all dumb stupid whores, and then hear every woman who comes on the show (except for Artie's old co-star from MadTV) get treated like a dumb, stupid whore.

for example, Bonnie Bernstein, that baseball writer chick, even the girls from Johnny Utahs (who probably were dumb stupid whores on some level, even though that one is at an NYU grad school).

8. UncaDollas

UncaDollas Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;Q7TTA1Y9etk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TTA1Y9etk&feature=plcp[/video]

9. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Well I think Nick is cool and all, but let's face it, the show IS Artie. Would we be listening if it was just Nick? The PC-jewsuits can choke on ham.

10. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Political correctness is getting worse everyday. You know the suits at Directv will cave in a heartbeat if there are any complaints at all. Re: Jeremy Lin. The guys talk about it all the time. The list of things they can joke about is shrinking everyday. I don't agree with a lot of Nick's views, but when it comes to this bullshit I am with him 100%.

11. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Terrestrial radio is the issue here. Putting the show on the Audience network (Direct tv), I would think would involve far less restrictions. Those are pay channels....can't they pretty much do what they want ?

If the show got off terrestrial, and was just on Sirius / XM, I don't think they would be dealing with these sorts of problems. Look at the Stern show and what they say these days.....it sounds like they say whatever they feel like.

But of course, for the Nick and Artie show, right now terrestrial's where the big money is, with all the listeners and advertisers. And with the advertisers, comes the censorship.....a sponsor does not want to pay for a show, if that show is saying things that offends them, or offends their potential customers. That's showbiz. The only way to eliminate or minimize that dynamic, is for the listeners to be paying directly for the show.

12. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    You have the worst schtick

13. Gunnar

Reputations:
    Yeah, and you are worth about three fity.

Gun,

14. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Have you listened to THSS lately?
    Nothing edgy that couldn't be played on Terrestrial radio.
    Unless of course you count recycling the "drama" of taking a shit in the bathroom as "edgy".

15. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    you're kidding me. Last time I listened to Stern a year and a half or so ago he was bitching because someone had the nerve to take a shit in a shitter

16. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Of course the Nick and Artie show is far more "edgy" than the Stern show now. Because they are not being lazy and on automatic pilot. That has nothing to do with it. The Stern show as it is now could not be played on terrestrial. Some of the words they use, and things they talk about, things they describe.....it's just not allowed. Also the racial, gay....all the same stuff that gets dumped from Nick and Artie......you probably don't even realize it, but there are all kinds of things Howard's doing, that he wouldn't be allowed to do, but it's not given a second thought now, because being on Sirius there's no need to.