Do-It-Yourself Home Repair/Remod Help Thread

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gridman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. BaddFunn

BaddFunn Kick ass fuck yeah VIP

Reputations:
    Why does it tee off under the pump and go to both water heaters? Are you supplying the heat exchanger from both water heaters as well?

I'm not sure that the supply to the heat exchanger being connected to the t&p valve tapping would be any different than it being on the hot water line coming off the tank. That pump probably only drops the pressure on the suction side by about 5-8 psi and that's not something you'd probably notice at the fixtures.

2. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    Neat looking solder joints by the way. Is that red lettering on the copper? M tubing instead of L?

3. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Yes. I put in two smaller heaters instead of one big one when I built so I'd still have hot water if one failed. I also anticipated using this for radiant and wanted quicker recovery times.

Ok, I'll leave it how it is and worry about it if I have pressure problems in the future. I still need to finish the closed loop side of this system before I fire this up. Plumbing is my least favorite of all the projects I do so it'll be at least another week :facepalm:

4. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Yea I think it's M. That stands for Menards, right? :jj: You'd fucking kill me on a jobsite. Each one of those joints takes me 2 minutes at least. I'm real careful not to burn the flux. I've done enough to know that'll fuck you up. I see the pros using MAPP while I have my propane set with a medium flame :jj:

Thanks for the help. Should I not worry about that chatter from the valve?

5. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    When you get a chance post a wider angle shot so I can see what's what. As far as the check valve goes, I might have a better idea as to what's causing the chatter when I see the wider angle, or I might just suggest relocating it to the suction side of the pump.

6. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    I'll post a better pic when I get home from work. Thanks again.

7. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    Man, you work some long shifts. I sure hope you're not salaried.

8. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Hourly :yes: Just saw my W-2 and was very pleased with 2016. Anyway my project got stalled due to other priorities but I'll update soon. I did pull those T/P valves and tee them off for my return. My OCD made me do it. I also moved the check valve like you said and adjusted the spring inside to make it open easier. Chattering is gone. Everything is whisper quiet. I've been working with 1" pipe for the closed loop part and that shit is a whole different beast to cut and solder. My forearms are fucking huge from my dull ass pipe cutter. Beefcake!!!! Waiting on a few parts and will have pics soon :c

BaddFunn likes this.
  9. Roger Waters

Roger Waters The Lunatic is in my head VIP

Reputations:
    Hello. Are there any auto mechanics here?
    If a Chevy Express van is putting out a P0420 code, is that definitely the catalytic converter needing to be replaced? It can't be something simple like spark plugs or o2 sensor can it? I've checked around online but the answers seem to vary. Thanks.

10. banksy

banksy Like a 40 degree day VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Roger Waters likes this.
  11. Roger Waters

Roger Waters The Lunatic is in my head VIP

Reputations:
    I figured it out, fouled plugs. Changed the plugs and wires, turned the engine light off, cleared to monitors and passed inspection. Thanks though, banksy.

banksy likes this.
  12. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    @BaddFunn

I got a huge soaker tub in the master bath. The wife says that the hot water runs out before it gets filled. Hard to believe with an 80 gal. heater. I always seem to have plenty of hot water when I shower. What I was thinking was putting in a tankless water heater for just the tub. What are your suggestions?

13. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    First think I would try is to fill the tub slower. Sometimes the faucets on those tubs dump more than 5 gallons per minute and that kind of flow through the tank can cause it to mix the colder water with the hotter water above it. Slow the flow and you may maintain a solid thermocline in that tank and be able to fill the tub with hot water.

14. Chief2Kick

Reputations:
    10-4 I'll tell her to give that a try.

15. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    It'll take a few more minutes to fill the tub that way but it could save you a few thousand bucks.

16. Chief2Kick

Reputations:
    Kind of makes sense since I can take as long a shower as I want and not run out of hot water.

BaddFunn likes this.
  17. zingger

zingger I'm Judging You

Reputations:
    How long you gonna make us wait for those pics?

18. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    I've been away. Maybe tonight if I remeber...

zingger likes this.
  19. O Face

O Face VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    My tub drain is broken. It's a lift and turn Kohler. When I lift it up it just slaps right down shut. It won't stay up and drain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I found this YouTube that seems pretty self explanatory, but it starts right off unscrewing the drain easy peasy out of the tub. How the fuck do I get that entire piece unscrewed? It's flush with the tub and I can't imagine how to get a grip on it

Help @BaddFunn

20. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    Take a pair of pliers and unscrew that knurled knob you're holding off the stopper. The whole stopper will want to turn so you have to hold back on that when you remove the knurled knob. Underneath that knob is screw that attaches the stopper to the piece the stopper sits on when the drain is closed. You might me able to just dick with that piece once you get it removed to make it work again, or you can pick up a replacement stopper that's compatible with the rest of the drain assembly.

O Face likes this.