Do-It-Yourself Home Repair/Remod Help Thread

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gridman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    "Hemmina - Hemmina".

I believe it is a closed system.

Re. pictures - I was kind of afraid someone might ask that - I could take some pictures.

A check valve - I would say no.

A big "THANK YOU" for replying to my post/question. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was checking the internet for what a check valve looks like - I was quite sure I did know but wanted to be sure.

As for pictures - I'll have to check if they can be posted directly from my hard drive. So far I haven't taken any.

2. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If it's a closed system and doesn't have one of those automatic anti-flowback-auto-filler-upper thingys you're not going to get water when you open the valves since there's no pressure. There should be a fill port somewhere and an air scoop to bleed-off the system. I'd put the taco back together and slowly pressurize the system to 12 psi then fire up the pump and listen for bubbles and air escaping the scoop. If you hear no-flow or can't feel a temp change on the pipes close to the taco shut 'er down quick.

But I'm not a plumber... Might be best to wait for @badfunn (but if it was my place I wouldn't wait)

3. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    I see that to post pictures they have to be linked to from I guess a hosting site. I don't have one, and knowing me it would take a while to find one and establish an account.

4. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the help. I'm quite sure it doesn't have an automatic anti-f-a-f-ut. You would think it would have a fill port and bleed-off, but I don't see one that's jumping out at me saying that's what it is. When you say slowly pressurize the system - that's what I can't seem to do, and I'm hesitant to fire up the circulator with the hope that it will draw water into the pipe leading to it for fear that it will burn out the bearings - it's a fairly expensive part.

I'm thinking I'll call a local heater service person during business hours tomorrow and see if they can advise me. Thanks again for the advice!

5. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Did you JPEG the SIM card?

6. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    Of course - that's the first thing I did - even before I turned off the circuit breaker.

7. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    I don't mean pressurize the system using those valves on each side of the circulator. There should be another port somewhere. It seems you might be best off calling someone but we can work wonders here with some simple pics of what you got.

8. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    Wow - you're hangin' in there! I'll take some pictures, but like I mentioned, I'll have to find and register with a photo hosting site to be able to post them here - that might take a while.

9. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    The only thing I love more than fixing stuff is tits, ass, and pussy.

10. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    "MmK" - registered with Photo Bucket only to find out that to share photos to this or any other site one has to buy a $400/year subscription! Did a search and registered with Imgur. Loaded the photos to Imgur. Tried to post them here but wasn't successful :( :dontknow:.

When I find out "what's the story" tomorrow (I hope) I'll fill in "inquiring minds". I have a suspicion that once the whole system gets fired up, water gets in to the pipe with the circulator before any damage is done.

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  11. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Use tinypic

12. Nice

Nice Active Member

Reputations:
    "Sports Update." A furnace tech came today while I wasn't home and the furnace is working again. I don't know what the resolution was to there being no water flowing through the pipe to the circulator when I opened the valve to make sure there'd be water flowing.

13. gwartney

gwartney Is there gas in the car? 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
    Forced air furnace not working. It is making a humming noise for a few seconds, then shuts off and tries again in a few minutes. I've read this is normal behavior as it cycles to see if problem is cleared.

Fan is working, thermostat working, no breakers blown, fresh filter. The motherboard is solid green. I should say that when it hums and clicks, that is all that happens, the fan does not kick in, no ignition. I just forced the fan to come on so I would know if it is working...

I cleaned the sensor that is supposed to detect whether gas is flowing or it is ignited. (I can't remember the name of it). It had dust but no carbon.

The gas valve has a switch and that's it. I can't hear a click or anything to indicate that it is opening and I can't hear or see any kind of ignition spark. I haven't gotten in with a VOM because I don't know what to measure.

there are a couple of sensors that are just little buttons close to the heat exchanger. I have no idea their purpose. I didn't do anything with the igniter either. Any suggestions? I'm going to wait until Monday to call a repair guy because I'm sure they are slammed today. (First day of fairly cold weather for us)

If it matters, it is a Rheem/Rudd RGPJ

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  14. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Had a similar problem a few years ago. The circulating fan was not coming on, and shutting down the unit. The blower fan would come on, and I didn't think about the circulating fan. A new capacitor and everything was fine.

15. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Does it have a draft inducer? Little motor/fan that sucks the gas from top to bottom? Sounds like that could be it. They use cheap bearings in those a lot. I've fixed plenty of those motors using high quality skateboard bearings :jj: 10 bucks for 8 bearings. I think they are called bumblebee or something like that. Just fancy 608 bearings.

gwartney likes this.
  16. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Or a motor capacitor. Idk. You should be flashing some codes if any of that shit breaks.

17. gwartney

gwartney Is there gas in the car? 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
    It could be the gas valve too. I can't find anything with a description of all of the parts and there are a couple of odd looking sensors. It could be the ignitor. I just don't know how to test it. My friggin knee is all screwed up so I'm just going to call someone tomorrow. I'll be laid up at least all week and it may get cold again.

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  18. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Good call

gwartney likes this.
  19. O Face

O Face VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the seat on the commode in the half bath is loose. Underneath there are these plastic bolt things and plastic nuts. I can’t tighten them tho because of this stupid square piece on the nut that I am guessing is for your thumb to twist it. Problem is that square tag gets caught on the underside of the commode, preventing a tight screw. What’s the solution?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Looks like you need to piss on it some more.