Do you think this 1st grade teacher was out of line?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Gas Face, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Gas Face

Gas Face Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  2. Gas Face

Gas Face Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    5 star thread.

3. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Nice to see that you haven't lost your touch. :nojj:

4. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    I like that the little dudes are all wearing ties.

This bitch must be working for a private school.

5. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Oh shit, let me tell you what.

I would have taken the kid, and thrown her through the fucking wall for that.

Pill Queen and Mur like this.
  6. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    :lol:

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

7. zhukov

Reputations:
    Hey, speaking of Clown Cars, how's that Jeep of yours doing? :umunch:

8. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    Like a fucking beast, never lets me down.

Love my Jeep.

zhukov likes this.
  9. Mur

Mur soon VIP

Reputations:
    I don't think what the teacher did was that bad. :dontknow:

She probably got fired for that though.

10. tecate

tecate PACOIMA!!! VIP

Reputations:
    that bitch is bringing reality to these snotty nosed rugrats. kudos. I hope she gets laid soon?

11. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    No, they put her back to work within a couple of days.

She is one of their best educators.

12. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/nyregion/success-academy-teacher-rips-up-student-paper.html?_r=0

N.Y. / Region
    At Success Academy School, a Stumble in Math and a Teacher’s Anger on Video
    By KATE TAYLORFEB. 12, 2016

In the video, a first-grade class sits cross-legged in a circle on a brightly colored rug. One of the girls has been asked to explain to the class how she solved a math problem, but she has gotten confused.

She begins to count: “One… two…” Then she pauses and looks at the teacher.

The teacher takes the girl’s paper and rips it in half. “Go to the calm-down chair and sit,” she orders the girl, her voice rising sharply.

“There’s nothing that infuriates me more than when you don’t do what’s on your paper,” she says, as the girl retreats.

The teacher in the video, Charlotte Dial, works at a Success Academy charter school in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. She has been considered so effective that the network promoted her last year to being a model teacher, who helps train her colleagues.

After sending the girl out of the circle and having another child demonstrate how to solve the problem, Ms. Dial again chastises her, saying, “You’re confusing everybody.” She then proclaims herself “very upset and very disappointed.”

Photo
    [​IMG]

Success Academy’s charter school in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. The Success network is known for its students’ high achievement on state tests, and it emphasizes getting — and keeping — scores up. Credit Gabriela Herman for The New York Times
    The video was recorded surreptitiously in the fall of 2014 by an assistant teacher who was concerned by what she described as Ms. Dial’s daily harsh treatment of the children. The assistant teacher, who insisted on anonymity because she feared endangering future job prospects, shared the video with The New York Times after she left Success in November.

After being shown the video last month, Ann Powell, a Success spokeswoman, described its contents as shocking and said Ms. Dial had been suspended pending an investigation. But a week and a half later, Ms. Dial returned to her classroom and her role as an exemplar within the network.

Success’s own training materials, provided by the network’s leader, Eva S. Moskowitz, say that teachers should never yell at children, “use a sarcastic, frustrated tone,” “give consequences intended to shame children,” or “speak to a child in a way they wouldn’t in front of the child’s parents.”

Ms. Moskowitz dismissed the video as an anomaly. A group of parents gathered by the Cobble Hill school’s principal defended Ms. Dial and said the video did not reflect their experience of the school.

But interviews with 20 current and former Success teachers suggest that while Ms. Dial’s behavior might be extreme, much of it is not uncommon within the network.

Success is known for its students’ high achievement on state tests, and it emphasizes getting — and keeping — scores up. Jessica Reid Sliwerski, 34, worked at Success Academy Harlem 1 and Success Academy Harlem 2 from 2008 to 2011, first as a teacher and then as an assistant principal. She said that, starting in third grade, when children begin taking the state exams, embarrassing or belittling children for work seen as slipshod was a regular occurrence, and in some cases encouraged by network leaders.

“It’s this culture of, ‘If you’ve made them cry, you’ve succeeded in getting your point across,’” she said.

Photo
    [​IMG]

Eva S. Moskowitz, the founder and chief executive of Success Academy, along with various principals from each school branch, spoke in October in response to an article showing evidence of unfair practices by school administrators, including a “Got to Go” list of students to weed out. Credit Christopher Lee for The New York Times
    One day, she said, she found herself taking a toy away from a boy who was playing with it in class, and then smashing it underfoot. Shortly after, she resigned.

“I felt sick about the teacher I had become, and I no longer wanted to be part of an organization where adults could so easily demean children under the guise of ‘achievement,’” said Ms. Sliwerski, who subsequently worked as an instructional coach in Department of Education schools.

Some parents had another view. Clayton Harding, whose son, currently in fourth grade, had Ms. Dial as a soccer coach, said: “Was that one teacher over the line for 60 seconds? Yeah. Do I want that teacher removed? Not at all. Not because of that. Now if you tell me that happens every single day, that’s a different thing. But no one is telling me that, and everyone is telling me about all the amazing things that she does all the other days.”

The mother of the girl in the video, in emails to The Times, initially supported the school and asked that the video not be published, citing her daughter’s privacy. After the network said that Ms. Dial would return to the classroom, she said she was unhappy with the school, but declined to talk further.

Ms. Dial did not respond directly to requests for comment, but gave a statement through the school, saying, “I’m deeply committed to the children and families of our school, and I’m sorry for my lapse in emotional control 15 months ago. As I tell my scholars to do, I will learn from this mistake and be a better teacher for it.”

Ms. Moskowitz said in an interview and a subsequent email that Ms. Dial’s behavior did not match Success’s educational philosophy, but she also called her “a wonderful and committed teacher” and said she had lost her cool because she “so desperately wants her kids to succeed and to fulfill their potential.”

She said Ms. Dial had been reprimanded and had received training in how to be more aware of her emotions and manage them.

Photo
    [​IMG]

Outside Success Academy in Cobble Hill. Credit Gabriela Herman for The New York Times
    She said it was possible that some teachers — “I think it’s really a handful of people” — had misinterpreted the network’s philosophy and that, out of an abundance of caution, the network would provide additional training to all its teachers in the importance of tone in speaking to students.

Still, Ms. Moskowitz said the video was not indicative of any wider problem, and she questioned the motives of the assistant teacher who recorded it.

“This video proves utterly nothing but that a teacher in one of our 700 classrooms, on a day more than a year ago, got frustrated and spoke harshly to her students,” she wrote in her email.

But Joseph P. McDonald, a professor of teaching and learning at New York University’s school of education, who viewed the video at The New York Times’s request, described Ms. Dial’s behavior as “abusive teaching.”

“We don’t see enough here to know for sure that this classroom is typically full of fear, but I bet that it is,” he wrote in an email. “The fear is likely not only about whether my teacher may at any time erupt with anger and punish me dramatically, but also whether I can ever be safe making mistakes.”

Indeed, several of the current and former staff members interviewed said that the network’s culture encouraged teachers to make students fear them in order to motivate them. Carly Ginsberg, 22, who taught for about six months last year at Success Academy Prospect Heights, said teachers ripped up the papers of children as young as kindergarten as the principal or assistant principal watched. She once witnessed a girl’s humiliation as the principal mocked her low test score to another adult in front of the child.

13. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    I would have broken that kid like china, and the folded it up like a piece of origami.

14. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
    A lot of schools have a strict dress code that are not private schools.
    Especially in urban areas.

DarkFriday likes this.
  15. Daveindiego

Reputations:
  16. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    The world is a harsh place.
    If we're gonna win the coming global war against radical Islam, our kids kan't be dum pussies.
    Suck it up and do it the way Fraulein Hitler wants it done.

17. zhukov

Reputations:
    well, you would know

upload_2016-2-12_19-53-12.png

larryluncg likes this.
  18. DarkFriday

Reputations:
    Word

19. DarkFriday

Reputations:
    I lost my burner on one of those streets back in 2003.

20. zhukov

Reputations:
    pretty sad place.
    upload_2016-2-12_20-0-47.png

DarkFriday likes this.