Stern Show Do you visit the graves of departed loved ones?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Father O'Blivion, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stern related, because the planet known as Robin, ridiculed Artie for visiting his father's grave... bitch!

Families spend insane amounts of money on mortician's preparations and especially, monuments...
    But why? Does anyone still take time out of their lives to visit the dead? If so, why? Is there a magic associated with earthly remains?

2. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    number 9 number 9

Wiggy, vaporizer, Pooh bear and 3 others like this.
  3. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I went to my dad's grave once after the burial. Staring at a stone does nothing for me.

4. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    I only love myself.

5. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Talking to the gravestone is something they do in movies.

6. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I probably will when my mom goes. Otherwise,no.

SternsEgo and Pooh bear like this.
  7. Father O'Blivion

Reputations:
    I recently watched a documentary on Einstein. He wanted to be cremated, because he didn't want people worshiping at his bones.
    It would seem that Albert thought the practice to be inane.

8. Mack29

Mack29 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I'm in the cemetery for another burial I will visit family.
    Other than that, no.

9. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    When my fiance died, he was cremated as he had wished to be. His sister insisted on putting up a headstone for him near his parents, and she told me that the engraver did a poor job lining up his name and dates properly--she was too shaken to actually make them re-do the thing.

I've never seen the headstone and never will--he's not there, for christ's sake--not sure what the purpose of the headstone is. But I suppose it comforted her in some way to do it, and I get that.

His ashes are here with me, in a really beautiful maple urn. I placed his favorite, well-worn Patriots and Sox caps on top of it. We don't need no stinking headstone!

BUT--whatever gets you through it. It's all good if it helps.

10. max rockatansky

max rockatansky I'm just here for the gasoline Gold

Reputations:
    NO!

IfTheyOnlyKnew and John Mahlin like this.
  11. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I don't, I don't live in NY anymore.
    If visiting the grave works for you, do it. it seems to be the method we've chosen. I plan to be cremated. whatever that means. Im told it has nothing to do with coffee

12. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Whenever I'm back in NY, I stop to tidy up the family plot at a cemetery in Queens (mom, dad, 2 aunts/uncles)..... the perpetual maintenance service is worth shit!

13. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, I visit my parents graves along with my sister. Sometimes I go alone and I just talk that I'm doing OK and that sis is doing OK and I'm looking out for her. Maybe just therapeutic, I don't know. :dontknow:

Tracy, kippy, Petal and 30 others like this.
  14. Father O'Blivion

Reputations:
    My family recently bought a plot... they want to know if I'm going to be engraved on the marble.

Since I have no children, and won't be changing my mind, I don't really see a reason for anyone to ever remember me. Especially since there are millions of monuments already, that nobody ever visits. The whole thing seems to be a practice in stupidity. Maybe I'm just cynical?

Mack29, Grabo, AmishGirl and 11 others like this.
  15. snowdog212

snowdog212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Go to my Moms and 1 brothers he was cremated and put in the ground have some of his ashes and another brothers in my rm on a shelf, it gives me peace still to go to the cemetery to sit for awhile by them

16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    No. I don't visit, nor do I feel any guilt about it. There is nothing comforting about visiting a grave. I'd rather look at a picture if I want to think of someone who died.

17. cetiya

cetiya Lunatic VIP

Reputations:
    I have the cremated remaines of all my loved ones here with me. Both parents, brother and beloved cat! I don't really have any special place I can put some ashes so I don't know what else I can do. When I die, we'll all end up in the trash anyway!

18. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yes

yaddc and Father O'Blivion like this.
  19. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  20. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    This. I think you're just realistic.

The whole burial thing is insane IMO. I think I drove my dad to visit my mother's grave once as an adult. When my dad died in 2007, I just called the funeral home and they brought the paperwork to my apartment to sign and they swiped my credit card and that was that. No funeral, no notices, no nothing. He's buried next to my mother but I've never seen the grave and don't plan on it. I loved my dad very much and he lives on in my memories and in the things he taught me, and I like the fact that his old study (and desk) is now my study. IMO, future generations will look back on burying the dead as an ancient practice based in our unrealistic beliefs derived from religious nonsense.

The cemetery used to send me bills for seasonal maintenance that I always tossed. Then, they wrote me a longer letter explaining that the un-manicured graves were becoming an "eyesore to other mourners," yada, yada. So I wrote them back telling them that I had no intention of ever paying to manicure growth around any grave because I think the whole burial thing is ridiculous in the first place that I only did to honor my father's wishes. I gave them permission to do whatever they want if they don't like what it looks like, and told them what it looks like to "other mourners" is their problem (meaning the cemetery's), not mine, and one that has a very easy fix if they're really all that concerned about "other mourners." Never heard from them again.

What a fucking racket: first, thousands of dollars for a box to bury bodies that are going to decay just the same and then charging the surviving family members of thousands of people an annual fee in perpetuity...and dunning letters telling me how bad the plots look because they purposely avoid caring for them and only trim the plots around them unless I want to pay them, essentially, to mow that part of their own fucking lawn. GMAFBWTBS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016