Stern Show Does Howard know the presidential candidate call in bits are horrible?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Vincenzo69, May 3, 2016.

1. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is a very bright guy how does he think this garbage is suitable for any show let alone his show?

The John Kasich call this morning I shut off my app

thos19, Tracy, yaddc and 4 others like this.
  2. GCD1

GCD1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    During pretty much every one of these segments, Howard will make a comment to Robin of something like, "Should we stick with this or end it now?" Robin will suggest they keep with it and see where it goes. Howard then begrudgingly continues the call, which continues to be painfully unfunny. Then it finally reaches its conclusion, at which point he'll make another comment, sort of half heartedly acknowledging how bad it was. Yet the next show they'll just play another one. I don't know why he has that approach to these lame bits but that's how he chooses to handle it.

3. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Those and the commercial breaks are the main reason why I make sure to always have a nice buffer built up before listening to the HSS.

4. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    I know howard doesn't care anymore but this is getting to the point of self-humiliation

5. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    The show was fine today and then Howard plays this lame bit and it fell off a cliff

6. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    Divorce Chicken and BobWeired like this.
  7. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does he even care?

8. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So he's become everything he fought so hard not to be all those legendary years? A morning zoo? Christ almighty.

9. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    Howard is basically stealing from 70's National Lampoon and Dickie Goodman type stuff only he is executing it horribly.

He has no idea what is funny or entertaining.

10. xgohabsx

xgohabsx Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    it reminds me of really bad radio that I had to listen to before Stern. There is a sports station out of Toronto that I used to listen to every morning (The Fan 590). They were a good station, but the morning guys would go from insightful comments on last night's game into terrible Mike Tyson and Micheal Jackson impressions that would drive me mental.

Finally, I caught the Stern show from a Buffalo station and didn't have to deal with the kooky morning guys on The Fan or Q107 any more.

Now here we are 20 years later and Howard has reverted to doing the same lame old shtick that drove me off AM/FM radio. Call it 'evolved' if you want. I call it lazy.

If the bad presidential candidates aren't enough, how about Micheal Caine and Jeff Goldbloom. WTF goes on in the writing room over there?

11. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Honestly, the second I hear them starting up with fake Romney or fake Obama or fake Bernie, I'm out - do not pass go, do not collect $200. A couple of the Hillary ones were mildly amusing for about 30 seconds, but that was only when they were pretending to prank call call businesses. For any of the others where the bad impersonator is speaking directly with Wiggy, it's straight to FF --> .

12. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess for old schoolers it's garbage but the new listerners can't get enough of it. It's weird reading comments on Reddit and they're saying the show is awesome, I cried I laughed so hard, etc...

13. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That anyone could even become a new listener given the quality of the show tells me all I need to know about their taste and sense of humor.

14. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    The stern show is really devolving into a crappy Z morning zoo. Remind me why I'm supposed to find Michael Caine, let alone a lousy impression with zero material, funny?

Box of Rox and dexterdog like this.
  15. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    I could smoke the strongest weed from jamaica and still not laugh at any of these bits

Phantom1az likes this.
  16. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    Why play a prank call when the person on the other end is not offended? What makes a prank call funny is the reaction of the other person

SomerSky and greenchiclets like this.
  17. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hamptons Howie's #1 priority: filling 4 hours of time between 7am and 11am.

Between commercial breaks, lame phony phone calls, lame fanboy/girl phone calls, miscellaneous shitty bits, and news, that right there should take up about 70% of the show time. If there is time left over it's left for lame interviews or the beating of dead horses in the form of miscellaneous shitty bits that are just extended to take up air time.

It's formulaic. It's predictable. It's unfunny. It's out of touch.

I'm not sure how SiriusXM came to the conclusion that this was a good investment.

18. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    The show has become an inconvenience to howard. It gets in the way of his fun get togethers with the beautiful people

the G-man and vaporizer like this.
  19. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if I 100% agree with this. He likes to complain and make everything so much harder than it has to be. He also likes marboes. He knows this is the way to keep building the pile and as long as someone - anyone - will pay him, then fine, time to work. The standards have changed because the grading system has changed. SiriusXM has seen growth since he's been there. They are up to 30 million subscribers. They don't all listen to Howard and I don't think SiriusXM gives a fuck. If we had a system of grading radio personalities based on ratings I think we'd all see that his ratings are in the tank. At that point we'd also see a miraculous change in the way the show is presented and BAM...it's good again. The ratings were the driving force. He's been on vacation since 2006 flying under the radar of SiriusXM executives. It has worked. Good for him.

It still boggles my mind that they don't hear (don't want to hear) what the old fans are saying about the show.

dexterdog likes this.
  20. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    Howard is just tired and wants to hang out with people he sees as his peers like Ashton Kutcher or Orlando Bloom.

Honkey Donkey likes this.