Does This Mean That I No Longer Owe Them $24.99 for The Encino Man Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BrerJimmy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

After 60 years, the onetime mail-order music retail giant Columbia House has finally hit bankruptcy. On Monday, parent company Filmed Entertainment Inc. filed for chapter 11 protection as the company allegedly just realized hard copy CDs and DVDs are quickly becoming obsolete.

According to a report by WSJ, the company earned just $17-million last year after it hit its revenue peak almost 20 years ago at roughly $1.4 billion:

“This decline is directly attributable to a confluence of market factors that substantially altered the manner in which consumers purchase and listen to music, as well as the way consumers purchase and watch movies and television series at home,” Mr. Langberg said in court papers.

Currently, Columbia House’s only service is their DVD club as the company ended its CD and cassette tape retail offerings in 2010. Today, there are roughly 110,000 members still acquiring DVDs from the service which apparently relies on third parties to assist customers as Columbia House no longer has any real employees.

Since the invention of the iPod, iTunes and the inevitable rise of music streaming services, the market for CDS has declined from its $13-billion revenue in the year 2000 to just $1.85-billion just last year.

Former Columbia House art director Mark Rubenstein commented on the company’s financial status by saying, “The thing I remember most is their unwillingness to change with the times. The writing was on the wall. They either didn’t see the writing or didn’t want to read it.”

http://uproxx.com/music/2015/08/columbia-house-bankruptcy/

2. JonnySoul

JonnySoul Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm surprised they were still around
    50% of my collection came from them back in the 80s

I looked forward to their monthly catalog

3. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Ironically, that pile of shit she's holding is still part of your 13 choices.

blindbella likes this.
  4. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:
    I saw a cassette tape laying on he ground ouside the other day and was almost confused as to what it was since I haven't seen one in so long

5. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They gave up cassettes in 2010? My 2008 Toyota didn't even come with a cassette player, just a CD player and an aux jack for iPods or iPhones. Cassettes have been dead for at least 15 years.

6. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hear they're upgrading - to SIM cards.

7. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Books are next to end.

XaltedSmoke and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  8. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    I worked with a guy who told me he worked a summer job for Columbia House. His job was filling orders in the warehouse. You grab the sheet, go from aisle to aisle and grab the cds and tapes. Said it was the best job ever because they had a type of "swag box", where if a cd had a broken case or something, you were supposed to document it, then throw it in the box, which anyone could grab stuff out of. So he and other dudes would see cds they liked and "accidentally" drop them on the floor or put pressure on the front of the case to crack it, then keep it. No wonder CH is out of business.......well, there's that downloading music thing as well......

9. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I bought a lot of stuff from their jazz category way back in the day. it was a good way to get introduced to great players who before the interweb, you never would have heard of probably.

RIP Columbia House

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  10. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I been ripping them off since the 70s. First 8 track tapes then vinyl then cassettes and when CD shops were paying $5 for used CDs in the 90s i would open accounts in friends and relatives names and make a fortune. They never once called or came after me for $$. Its amazing they lasted as long as they did.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  11. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Still remember one of my friends in about 1992/93 making multiple fake orders with the name of his cats so he wouldn't have to pay or send them back. I used to work at a record store at the time and we wouldn't accept Columbia House CDs to buy for our Used CD bin, or at the very least they would be worth less.

12. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I used to order so much stuff from them, that I have a box somewhere of dozens of cassettes still in their plastic wrap. I ended up getting the CD before I ever listened to the tape. :rolleye:

Howchilla and Shortwave98 like this.
  13. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    Is it just me, or was there some sort of difference between Columbia House CDs and regular, record store CDs? It seemed like the musical quality of the Columbia House CDs was slightly off somehow. :dontknow:

Shortwave98 likes this.
  14. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I do remember having fun picking through the stamps looking for my favorite groups back in the 70's.

[​IMG]

15. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When they first started selling CD's columbia house did not 'tag' them so when you sold them the store did not know they were from columbia house. Then as time went on and everyone was ripping them off CD stores got wise and were very selective. I also heard the columbia house versions were of lessor quality then retail versions.

16. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I got my music from BMG. Same idea, but back then a different company (now they're all one company):

[​IMG]

17. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    The sound quality of those Columbia House CDs definitely seemed slightly "off"

floplop and Ben Dover like this.
  18. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sometimes, to me anyway, they sounded slightly sped up

SalsMasterShake and floplop like this.
  19. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    If they kept their vinyl inventory, they could have sold it for scads of cash to poseur tools :ohno:

wife is a whore likes this.
  20. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    They got scammed by people but they also did some scamming themselves. If you didn't send back the mailer in time, you would automatically receive the "Record of the month". Can't believe they lasted this long.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    wife is a whore likes this.