Does your family have a military history?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Gromit, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Just wondering if any of the folks around here know their history and whether their family was involved in wars or not. I'll start:

The earliest is my great great relatives fought in the Civil War for the confederates. Survived through Gettysburg and have some amazing artifacts left over from that war. My family definitely owned people in the past :nojj:

My grandfather on my Dad's side was the main inventor of the Phalanx Weapon System which is still used today on Naval ships to defend from oncoming missiles. It can shoot oncoming projectiles out of the sky before it hits the ship. This technology was carried over to a lot of the modern weapons we use today.

My Mom's side of the family was Austrian and fought for them during WW1 but after the war their city became part of Italy (a little fishing town called Trieste). When the war started, my grandma's father and brother formed a secret resistance group called the Underground that was italians trying to form a coup against Mussolini. They were pretty instrumental in having him captured and killed. Her brother was killed by "friendly fire" (I think he was murdered) and her father was hung by the Nazis.

My father got a draft notice to fight in Vietnam, but his paperwork got mixed up with someone who was a paraplegic. By the time the paperwork was sorted out, the war was over, so no war for him.

What's your story?

2. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Nothing quite as exciting as yours Gromit. Dad in AF for 30 years. I'm an AF brat. :rolleye:

3. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Got a Navy family.

Including myself.

4. rawsterdam

rawsterdam Member

Reputations:
    My dad was a marine. His grandfather a colonel in the German army during WWI. Not much else was spoken about that.

5. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    My Grandfather was a POW in Korea for 2 years, didn't get out of his cage till after the war was over. He was invited to the White House and turned it down, he'd never talk about it to anyone. And I have three Uncle's who fought in Vietnam, only one is still alive.

6. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    My dad was in the OSS in WW2. Decorated for jumping behind the lines into Siam with 5 other guys to teach the natives guerrilla warfare and sabotage against the Japanese.
    Me? Peacetime USAF. I served between Vietnam and the Lebanon bullshit.

7. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    WWI vets were some hard motherfuckers!

8. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I'm the first male on my dad's side of the family that hasn't seen war. I'm serious.

I totally rejected the military after seeing what war did to them (they all fought, the dummies).

Earliest family war story I know of is TX independence. They were part of the whole getting rid of Spain thingie.

9. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    yes. going back to the 1700s. not me though.

10. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    My dad is a Vietnam combat vet, infantry, dosed on Agent Orange, fucked in the head, and half the guys he knew over there were dead by the mid 90's.

That war seemed to carry a toll that paled in death compared to WWII but carried a great burden to the guys who came back for some reason.

11. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    That's not fair.

12. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    My uncle's who were over there were/are messed up. My aunt tells us stories about my unlce waking up in the middle of the night having flashbacks, waking her out of a sound sleep and pulling her down on the ground out of bed, because he thought they were getting shot at.

13. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I meant it to differentiate between combat duty and service. There is a huge difference. They are fucked up men, walking wounded. And it's not fair at all that non-coms get the same fucking recognition as the coms.

14. rawsterdam

rawsterdam Member

Reputations:
    Even the Kraut ones? My dad still has some memorabilia, but is embarrassed to show it.

15. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    My dad's brother was captured by the Nazis when he was in the U.S. Army.

He was a POW for many years...and came out totally fucked in the head.

Whenever I was in Beverly Hills growing up (about 50 years after WWII), I'd see him pushing a shopping cart.

My mom's brothers were not American, but came to the United States by joining the U.S. Navy (foreigners are allowed to join the U.S. Navy).

16. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    great grandfather ww1 war hero, Mr. Nathanial Robinson was his name, killing Germans was his game

17. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I'm kind of laughing here, but it's not funny. Fourth of July was an walking-on-eggshells affair around my dad. His eyes would just go blank or something, can really describe it, but it fucked him up. Helicopters, too.

It did a number on him. And the reason I call him dummy is because he was in college for a year and dropped out to piss off his mother, knowing he'd be drafted.

18. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    WOOOOOOOOAAH, wut?

19. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter. The conditions those guys fought under were anything but humane.
    They were some tough sumbitches.

20. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    my father was a medic on an army base, he wasn't on the front lines but did see the horrors of war.