Does your state require inspections on cars?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Came across this and used to be from that area and i say bravo to the counterfeiters, this bullshit moneygrab has gone on too long...$37.50 every year and all they do nowadays is plug into the cars OBD2, download any codes that may have been thrown and slap a sticker on the windshield and send you on your way, and the asshole who worries about wheels flying off, that's laughable, nobody checks anything

Since moving to Florida there is no more of this:D....I guess Florida doesn't care about loose wheels?

Babylon Village finds fake inspection stickers on dozens of parked vehicles
    Updated September 14, 2015 7:33 PM
    By NICHOLAS SPANGLER nicholas.spangler@newsday.com

Reprints + -
    [​IMG]
    Babylon Village Code Enforcement Officer Paul Schulhaus holding one of the more than 90 counterfeit vehicle inspection stickers they have found in the last year on Sept. 10, 2015. Photo Credit: Newsday / Nicholas Spangler

Babylon Village Code Enforcement officers have found more than 90 fake inspection stickers on vehicles this year, evidence they say points to a possible counterfeiting operation in the region.

"This is organized," said Bill Whittier, enforcement coordinator. "Somebody out there is making a lot of money."

By keeping possibly unsafe vehicles on the road, Whittier said, the fake stickers endanger pedestrians and other drivers.

"It's putting everybody in jeopardy," he said. "The wheels come off, the brakes are going to go, and somebody innocent is going to get killed."

Suffolk police made three fraudulent-sticker arrests and issued 27 false-inspection summonses in 2014 across the county. This year, they have made 10 arrests and issued 22 summonses.

Nassau County police do not track that information, a spokesman for the department said, although the state does.

"It is a problem, and it's being addressed," said Suffolk police Deputy Chief Kevin Fallon, adding that counterfeit stickers have popped up in Babylon, Brookhaven and Islip.

A fake sticker may help a driver avoid costly repairs in the near term, he said, but the consequences for those who get caught are dire.

"You're facing felony charges and you're losing your car," Fallon said. "It's a terrible idea."

Whittier said his officers have logged every fake sticker they've found and have passed the information on to Suffolk County police and the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

Village officers have found about half of the fake stickers at the Babylon LIRR station, which is one of the busiest in the area and draws commuters from outside the village.

DMV spokeswoman Casey McNulty said she could not comment on an open investigation and declined to make an agency investigator available for an interview.

Village officers have encountered crudely photocopied stickers before. But over the past year, they said, they've encountered more sophisticated imitations with bar-coding, coloring and inspection numbers that simulate the real thing. Some of those numbers, which should be unique to each vehicle, are repeated.

"It's elaborate," said Officer Paul Schulhaus, who was honored by village trustees along with Officers Raymond Peterson and Alexander Weber for their work uncovering the fakes. "They have all the appropriate printing on the back of the sticker that the state would provide."

Some marks of a fake are subtle, and officers declined to identify them because they didn't want to tip off the counterfeiters. Others are obvious. These include faded coloring or blurry printing and expiration dates more than a year in the future -- the state requires annual inspections.

One recent case involved a 2004 Hyundai whose sticker indicated it didn't need to be inspected until the end of March. In fact, officers said, that inspection number had been issued to a Mercedes-Benz, and the Hyundai was due for an inspection.

Schulhaus worries that counterfeit stickers may be more common than anyone realizes. "This is just Babylon Village, a 3-square-mile area," he said.

2. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Pedestrians are a pain in the ass too. Fuck THEM

The Snork and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  3. Barton Fink

Barton Fink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In Ireland you have to do a full road worthiness check every two years on all cars and every year on cars older than 10 years.

€55 each time with a €22 re-test fee if you fail.

Head Censor and smichal like this.
  4. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    of course my state does, it's the land of kennedy

HowieStearn likes this.
  5. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Yup, 13 bucks to make sure my horn blows and my tint is legal. Complete waste of time and money.

Samurai and smichal like this.
  6. rebelfan

rebelfan Active Member

Reputations:
    The required federal emission testing is a legal hurdle cleverly designed to shoehorn you into buying a new car...

...other than that an official inspection is a good thing.

7. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Yep, and I'm going Thursday! :yay:

IfTheyOnlyKnew and smichal like this.
  8. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    years ago, i sat on an evaluation committee to hire a company to run this scam in arizona. the amount of pollutants that are not put out because of these very expensive programs is a drop in an enormous bucket. even a 15 year old car passes with flying colors these days.

not a lot of people driving cars that are 15 to 20 years old.

they busted some of the employees of this company for running a scam where people would pay some scumbag to "pass" their car without actually passing.

another feel good waste of millions $$.

JayJ likes this.
  9. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Everything's a money grab. Fuck'em to hell

smichal likes this.
  10. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    tell them your husband's pet snake might be hiding in the car and that the inspectors should be careful. after they look confused for a few seconds say PSYCH!

they love that. :)

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Bye You! like this.
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jersey- yes. In and out

wife is a whore and smichal like this.
  12. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In and out I mean fast

13. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    Ontario - emissions testing, otherwise known as a tax grab.

smichal likes this.
  14. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    Florida stopped inspections 25 years ago. They let the police pull you over for having lights out, etc.

FosterKitten and smichal like this.
  15. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only emissions here in Colorado. I wish they did inspections here, I see many cars here that I amazed are street legal. I mean who drives a car without a hood?

16. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

Yeah, where I live here in Europe, they do the same. You drive over a trench and the guy looks for play in the joints and steering while a machine bounces and jerks your tires. The brakes, exhaust, engine, lights and headlight aim is inspected. And the car is run on a dyno for some reason. The prick even wrote us up because I installed LED bulbs that were the same brightness as the standard bulbs in my daytime running lights, and he said because they weren't original, it's a safety hazard because someone could be blinded during the day. :facepalm: Luckily it's only done about every 5 years, I don't know about the span for older cars because mine are newer. A couple years ago, they actually abolished the smog test because the majority of all the cars in the country were newer with high pollution standards.

When I was back in California, we only had to deal with the bullshit smog test every two years which I knew my truck would fail because it was modified, so I always had to pay for an illegal black market smog. But it became riskier to get caught because they would set up smog check points with portable inspection out on the streets. And they would set up sniffers on freeway on-ramps, if it smelled high pollution levels, it would snap your picture and you would be called into an official inspection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I turned into one set up around a corner and knew I was sunk, but they had a car getting inspected and two waiting, so I was just waved through. :prancing:

Fatass and smichal like this.
  17. IPrankNoOneElse

IPrankNoOneElse Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thankfully no. We stopped about 3-4 years ago.

18. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love tennessee

19. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    FL general vehicle inspections were eliminated 35 years ago.

There was an emission testing program in a few large counties for a while in the 1990s. Jeb Bush ended the program since the counties met the air quality standards. It was a pain to sit in lines for an hour or more. For a few years, even brand new cars had to get the inspection, which made no sense.

Good Riddance.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  20. JayJ

JayJ Active Member

Reputations:
    depends on the location and/or county in AZ I think...

lived in maricopa & it was required--been in pinal for the last ~10 years & it's not required here...

sstressed likes this.