Doing this is like banning sex in a whorehouse

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anybody know a Vietnamese who doesn't smoke.

Vietnam has passed a law banning smoking in public places and all tobacco advertising, an official said Tuesday.
    The law, passed by 440 out of 468 national assembly deputies on Monday, also makes it illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under 18 years old, said the parliamentary official, who did not want to be named.
    It will take effect from next May, state media said.
    Smoking in public places -- including schools, hospitals, office buildings and on public transport -- was banned once already in 2010 by a government decree, which also raised tax on tobacco and restricted the sale of cigarettes.
    But that order was widely ignored, with smoking in public places widespread and cigarettes available at small kiosks on nearly every street in the capital Hanoi.
    The anti-smoking campaign group Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA) welcomed the new law -- the full text of which has not yet been released -- saying it was a "historic and important milestone" for the country.
    "We are very happy about this development," SEATCA director Bungon Ritthiphakdee said, adding that the final version of the law was strong and in line with the WHO-Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
    According to SEATCA, there are currently 15.3 million smokers in Vietnam. Some 47.4 percent of adult males smoke.
    Tobacco kills 40,000 people per year in Vietnam and that figure is expected to rise to 70,000 per year by 2030, according to local media reports.

2. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    vietnamese boys did not die fighting for their country to be told this bullshit. i mean, what was the vietnam war all about?

ho chi minh would be rolling in his grave.

[​IMG]

3. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Asian countries are hugely different.

In Japan, there are cigarette vending machines on virtually every corner, but in a lot of places smoking in public is prohibited while smoking in restaurants and confined spaces is totally allowed. In fact, some policemen in Tokyo who manage crosswalks carry little tin ashtrays in their breast pockets and make pedestrians put out their cigarettes when crossing the street.

In Korea, everything is pretty much allowed, but a lot of restaurants and bars don't allow smoking. But some of the ones who don't allow it will still let you smoke in the bathroom.

Taiwan allows just about everything.

In Singapore, nothing is allowed and it is STRICTLY enforced.

I've never been to Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos, but I can imagine those places being widely disparate. They're allegedly anti-drug, but tacitly allow opium & mushroom milkshakes. (They're technically illegal, but a lot of places get by this by just labeling them as "Special" shakes.) The same can be said with the Phillipines and Indonesia.

HUGE PROPS HOWEVER FOR REFERRING TO ONE VIETNAMESE DUDE AS "A VIETNAMESE".

4. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

sorry. i just love this photograph.

5. LVCourtney

LVCourtney Active Member

Reputations:
    I'm still annoyed that I couldn't smoke at Disneyland. Not like I was standing in lines with kids and pregnant women...I was in a deserted corner next to a restroom. I also couldn't smoke on the balcony of my hotel room at the Grand Californian. I guess they make it easy for us in Vegas. On a side note....I'm on day 3 of my e-cig :)