Politics Donald Trump requires volunteers to sign lifetime agreement to never criticize him

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by loogaroo, Mar 16, 2016.

1. loogaroo

loogaroo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Donald Trump Requires Volunteers To Sign A Lifetime Agreement To Never Criticize Him

Between supporters who sport permanent tattoos of his likeness and others who offer to punch (or kill) protesters for interrupting his speeches, Donald Trump‘s a made man when it comes to politics. Dozens of state primaries and caucuses have fallen to his “New York values” charm, resulting in 621 delegates and the ousting of rival Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio. So, why does his campaign feel the need to put a stranglehold on its volunteers tighter than anything the 2016 election (or any other, for that matter) has ever seen?

According to The Daily Dot, the Trump campaign’s volunteer contract consists of a six-page document that includes non-disclosure, non-disparagement and non-compete agreements. Along with NBC News, they speculate that the contract’s rigorous nature could be a hangover from business legalese, as these sorts of clauses are often applied to employees. How well it translates to election volunteers and whether or not any of it could actually withstand a court appearance, however, remains questionable.

The non-disclosure agreement is simple. It forbids volunteers from sharing any sensitive campaign information with rival campaigns, the media or pretty much anyone who isn’t affiliated with Trump. The non-disparagement and non-compete clauses, however… They’re something, alright.

Per The Daily Dot’s interpretation, the non-disparagement clause’s language leaves open the possibility that volunteers will never be able to criticize Trump so long as they’re alive:

During the term of your service and at all times thereafter you hereby promise and agree not to demean or disparage publicly the Company, Mr. Trump, any Trump Company, any Family Member, or any Family Member Company or any asset any of the foregoing own, or product or service any of the foregoing offer, in each case by or in any of the Restricted Means and Contexts and to prevent your employees from doing so.

The specific language that has piqued everyone’s interest comes at the very beginning, “during the term of your service and at all times thereafter.” The latter clause, “at all times after,” seems to indicate the entirety of the signer’s existence after they’ve served time as a Trump volunteer. The “term of your service” bit doesn’t seem as straightforward, as one would assume that a volunteer could by their very nature opt out of volunteering at their own discretion.

Yes and no, according to the non-compete clause that follows:

Until the Non-Compete Cutoff Date you promise and agree not to assist or counsel, directly or indirectly, for compensation or as a volunteer, any person that is a candidate or exploring candidacy for President of the United States other than Mr. Trump and to prevent your employees from doing so.

The Daily Dot indicates that the “non-compete cutoff date” is whenever Trump decides to cease his election campaign. So, if the New York real estate mogul drops out of or loses his current presidential bid, then decides to run again in 2020, volunteers who signed this contract would still be attached to his campaign. They wouldn’t have to volunteer for Trump again, per se, but the non-compete clause would forbid them from volunteering for a rival candidate.

This feeds back into the non-disparagement clause’s “term of your service” line, which was used to identify for how long signed volunteers wouldn’t be allowed to criticize Trump. In other words, should Trump postpone 2016 and run again in 2020, lose again and run in 2024, then his volunteers would never be able to disparage him again per this contract.​

DiamondGoddess and Anyonenow like this.
  2. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Doesn't Howard have something similar?

3. sumtexan

sumtexan Consentido de Dios Gold

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

Wesmantooth likes this.
  4. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Donald called me the a few months ago for some contractual advice, Robin. I can't get into it. It's a whole thing."

5. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's just crossing his eyes and dotting his t's. :grad:

6. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They are also not allowed to look at him when they pass him in the hall. :wigtip:

7. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seems fairly standard to me these days

8. Vettesetter

Vettesetter Active Member

Reputations:
    There making more of this than it is. Those afre fairly simple. Not a big deal. The NDA's and Non-solicitation agreements at my businesses are much more indepth.

Butters Stoch likes this.
  9. The Filthy Beast

The Filthy Beast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These people that go to trum
    These people are volunteers they are not getting paid. Its not a business were you have a contract and salary. If they did not like something about him awhile doing volunteer work they should be free to speak there mind.

YoYo, Anyonenow and loogaroo like this.
  10. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How many posts until someone calls this a "Free speech issue"

Dirty South likes this.
  11. The Filthy Beast

The Filthy Beast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just did...pay attention where did you to school trump university?

Pussy Tendon and YoYo like this.
  12. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You didn't exactly say it was against the first amendment. Your post was more of an uninformed opinion of how NDAs work and how common they are

And why do people assume I'm a Trump supporter

13. Vettesetter

Vettesetter Active Member

Reputations:

I assume you're thoughts are that I am only saying this cause you perceive me as a Trump supporter. It could be that I don't buy into the BS and look at situations from experience, facts and without bias.

Volunteers are sometimes in situations that make them privy to inside info and workings. They could partially hear one of them say something and not know the real meaning or context and go out and spread what could be considered a lie and erroneously damage someone. To me, this would be exceptable for any candidate on either side.

14. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They're

15. skunk anansie

skunk anansie Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Wow :facepalm:

16. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...with trumps deep pockets i can see why he would do this.
    i just read a story about a tech mogul who had a mistress for 10 years and they had lots of great sex. there are even pics of her with him at events so she wasnt locked up in a room somewhere but her 40 million dollar law suit claims she was kept as a sex slave and shes suing for damages. he had already given her 10 million to go away, a severance pay parting breaking up gift.

17. skunk anansie

skunk anansie Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    acceptable...for starters.

YoYo likes this.
  18. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I suppose you have to vow to plead the fifth if you volunteer for hillary.

Dirty South likes this.
  19. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Sure, but "lifetime" agreement?

Sounds like another country that doesn't allow you to criticize the "dear leader".

The Filthy Beast likes this.
  20. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i hope this is a joke