Don't buy any knock-off iPhone chargers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by hillbilly, Mar 31, 2014.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Cell phones are ubiquitous, but one Twin Cities man is warning that knock-off accessories could leave the budget-conscious in a world of hurt after the off-brand charger he bought online exploded.
    Tim Tyrrell told Fox 9 News he was just trying to save some money when he turned to eBay to buy a second charger for his iPhone 5, but that search for savings ended up costing him more than he bargained for.
    "It was just a pretty fast, quick jolt," he recalled.
    The jolt that left Tyrrell with a serious electrical burn through his hand destroyed his discount charger, tripped the circuit breaker and put Tyrrell in the hospital for more than a week.
    "Basically, the charger turned black and, it's where the USB cord connects to the outlet, had a little mini-explosion," Tyrrell explained. "It kind of bruised the fingers inside where I plugged it in."
    Tyrrell still has the original charger that came with his phone, but just like the iPhone itself, the accessories aren't cheap.
    "I got two wall chargers and a car charger for like, under $10 compared to the $25-30 you pay for an actual charger in the store," Tyrrell said.
    The charger that burned out left a quarter-sized wound on Tyrrell's hand that later became infected -- and much more serious. It took three operations to tackle the infection.
    Accidents like this aren't unique to iPhones either, and it's a problem Apple is well aware of. In fact, the company offered USB chargers at half price in exchange for knock offs last year to get counterfeits off the street. Additionally, those using iOS 7now get a warning message about unreliable accessories that aren't built to Apple's standards.
    Tyrrell's father told Fox 9 News it was a tough lesson to learn, but he and his son don't want to see anyone get hurt in pursuit of saving a few bucks.
    "Just be careful," Tyrrell urged. "I mean, obviously, I've been in here for a week and probably have to go in for my fourth operation tomorrow."
    There have been several documented cases of similar explosions -- even electrocutions linked to counterfeit chargers; however, there are third-party accessories that are Apple-certified. The best advice when looking for off-brand merchandise is to ensure that it is built to the manufacturer's specifications.

Read more: Knock-off iPhone charger leaves man with burn, infection - KMSP-TV http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25113149/knock-off-iphone-charger-leaves-man-with-electrical-burn-

infection#ixzz2xbNzdk6w

]
    [​IMG]
    Howard related because maybe Beth tragically uses one of these and can no long send us pics.

2. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Holy fuck dude..nsfw that shit

3. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    just so nobody has to look at that again: when you use a non Apple approved charger on iPhone 5x or later devices the OS warns you that the charger is potentially dangerous. apple setup their devices to require some strange changing combination of voltages and current strength, and cheap non-apple stuff just cannot match that requirement. some chinese manufacturers claim to have duplicated the chip that apple puts in theirs, but its just not worth the savings.

4. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Handgina

5. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    that mess has nothing to do with the charger, he clearly didn't care for the initial injury which was likely minor

6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Luckily the Chinese manufacturers that get to ship their products here tariff-free are easily held accountable in a court of law. Oops, they aren't.

7. SEGA

SEGA Permanent Vacation VIP

Reputations:
  8. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    The same goes with knock off Droid chargers. My samsung s 2 was permanently damaged due to a shitty charger.

9. Jon Mendelsohn

Jon Mendelsohn New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The article clearly states that the asshole in question had a small burn that he let get infected until it took over his whole fucking hand. Hey, I burned myself pretty good last week baking chops, and guess what? There's this thing we have in America and it's called Neosporin. Failing that, try washing your wound with soap and water.

jesus.

10. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Give the guy a break. From the sound of it he seems to be none to bright anyways

11. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Yeah.... Voltage Meters are sooooo high-tech

When buying something that powers an electronic device, or gas/electric motor..Or when buying anything that has the potential to cause significant damage to life, property, or limb... ... Its in ones best interest to not shop in the bargain-bin ....That statement can be universally applied to most things in life

12. hillbilly

Reputations:
    It is always best to buy the recommended chargers on anything and never do any home wiring unless you know what you are doing. I studied industrial electricity for a couple of years along with home electrical construction/repair. When the whore wanted a tanning bed at home, like a fool I ordered a commercial grade bed that was around 4200. Due to the size of investment, I bought a Buck booster :facepalm: that made sure the voltage from the meter always was within a safe range for the bed to keep from frying it. The booster was like 250

My luck, in the end when I had to move I sold it to a friend, it had 10 hours on it, digital, remote, booster and all for 1500. He worked at the railroad as an engineer and made decent money but with a glam wife and 2 kids at home he ask me to wait a few months for payment. I was cool with this, saw him all the time as our sons played football together. My cousin bought the home where we live now, he came over looked around and the house was built in 1980 and had the original roof. He said he would strip the old shingles and put a new roof on for payment on the bed. Helluva deal considering labor alone would be over 3000+, my son's were going to pack the shingles. I hate that the guy had a massive heart attack and died while we were at a football game. His wife was living it up, vacations, pools installed, and was not grieving too much in my opinion. I ask her about it as she was tan as a biscuit, and she told me "he said he had taken care of that" WTF...nothing could I do. Bitches

13. hillbilly

Reputations:

sorry about that, thought it was for like pussy,cock, or tits. I am learning.

14. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

[video=youtube;pqUq2Da7d5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUq2Da7d5c[/video]

15. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    You never forget the smell of your first electrical burn.