"Don't exclude my child"

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by P-B, Oct 30, 2015.

1. P-B

P-B Honourary Canuck Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck you

Fliers Ask New Britain Neighbors To Hand Out "Allergy-Conscious" Items During Halloween

NEW BRITAIN — Should families stop handing out Halloween goodies that have nuts, dairy products or gluten?

Victoria Road residents are talking with each other about that question because of the flurry of fliers that appeared in their neighborhood this week.

"This Halloween, practice responsible parenting and do not distribute candy containing nuts of any kind, gluten or dairy," say the anonymous fliers that recently showed up stapled to utility poles.

The flier advises residents to hand out "allergy-conscious" items such as raisins, Lifesavers or carrot sticks instead.

"My son has severe allergies and comes home every year devastated that he can't eat any candy he's collected at your homes while trick or treating," the flier says. "Don't exclude my child or any other child from the fun."

An anonymous parent used a flier to ask neighbors to consider raisins, Lifesavers or carrot sticks for trick-or-treaters this Halloween.

The fliers had been removed Wednesday afternoon.

The flier reflects some of the ways that Halloween has become more complicated than it was just a few decades ago, when youngsters commonly gathered Zagnut bars, Kit Kats, peanut M&Ms and the like in a night of trick-or-treating.

Now one in 13 American children has a food allergy, according to Food Allergy Research and Education Inc., a not-for-profit organization that advocates for sufferers.

"Even a tiny amount of their allergen has the potential to cause a severe reaction," its website says. "Many popular Halloween candies contain nuts, milk, egg, soy or wheat, which are some of the most common allergens in children and adults. Additionally, many miniature or fun-size versions of candy items contain different ingredients than their full-size counterparts and some miniature candy items may not have labels, so it is difficult for parents to determine whether these items are safe."

Major manufacturers maintain online lists of their gluten-free candies, and Hershey's website advises parents to check all wrappers to determine whether allergens such as peanuts are ingredients or could have come into contact with the product.

Food Allergy Research and Education says its "Teal Pumpkin Project" has more than 100,000 homes participating this year. The homeowners put a teal-colored pumpkin outside, and offer non-food treats — small toys, glow bracelets, decorative stickers — in a separate bowl from the candy.

"You can either ask trick-or-treaters if they have any food allergies, or give every visitor a choice of which treat they'd like: candy or a non-food item," the organization advises.

Susan Johnson, a retired New Britain teacher who lives in the Victoria Road neighborhood, said she witnessed changes in attitude toward candy and other goodies in the classroom during her career.

"Thirty-five years ago, parents would bring in cupcakes for a birthday. But now it's different — they'd be asked to bring healthy snacks instead, something without too much sugar," Johnson said. "We got a special peanut-free table (in the cafeteria)."

Because she's seen allergic children react to the presence of peanuts, Johnson hasn't distributed candy with nuts for years. She said she recognizes that the fliers were probably posted by a concerned parent, but added that there's no substitute for careful examination of all trick-or-treat goodies when a child gets home.

"They used to talk about razor blades in apples. Ultimately, every parent is responsible for their child," she said. "You have to look at the wrappers."

2. TonyJax

TonyJax White Privilege Denied. VIP

Reputations:
    A country of pussies.

DiamondGoddess, maroon and Gomez like this.
  3. FatKidSullivan

FatKidSullivan Smoking Cigars

Reputations:
    That's it, I'm moving into a Unabomber-style shack in the woods next spring!

This is the last straw.

Pill Queen and AmishGirl like this.
  4. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    when and how did the peanut allergy start? i dont remember anyone having it when i was a kid.

5. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    When my kids was in pre k last yr. I had to buy whatever the fuck allergy free bullshit snacks for the class.

What a pain in the ass having to look at the fucking ingredients on every god damn snack.

Get your own fucking snack you helmet wearing faggots

6. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    I never saw when I was a kid either. I blame the parents.

Stew Nod and Shivvy like this.
  7. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    No recess, kids are all autistic allergy laden fucktards. Blame the hipster faggot parents for this sad state of affiars.

Diogenes and Shivvy like this.
  8. FatKidSullivan

FatKidSullivan Smoking Cigars

Reputations:
    I really feel like bored housewives sit around thinking up problems for their kids to have.

9. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    my wife has this nutty friend and anytime a new allergy is out she has it. she told my wife when they first started hanging that she had to go to the hospital because she kissed a dude that just at a snickers. i :jj: and told her thats a story thats been going around for years.

Divorce Chicken likes this.
  10. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess I need to return my bag o pollen treats

11. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    im allergic to Penicillin. i wasnt when i was a kid though.

12. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    They can't accept that their special little gift is a future special ed project.

P-B and FatKidSullivan like this.
  13. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    Kids are bread to be faggots today. Never heard of peanut allergies either as a kid. Had one hemophiliac kid but that was it.

14. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    The little pansies should just be given gluten free dildos.

Not my fault your kid is defective.

Scott, Pill Queen and Stew Nod like this.
  15. Lemmy

Reputations:
    BTW.......no trick or treating in my neighborhood. Driveways are to long and no sidewalks/streetlights. :yes:

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  16. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:

i dont get many trick or treaters. but i do feel obligated to get some candy

Lemmy likes this.
  17. Anfkid

Reputations:
    I live in a very Jewy area and they don't do Halloween. :dontknow:

Lemmy likes this.
  18. Anfkid

Reputations:
    Of course. You would feel like a real shit heel if one kid showed up and you had to give him a can of soup. It's win win. More Twix and Snickers for you.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Shivvy like this.
  19. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think the peanut allergy thing is bs, my kid has 4 kids, in a class of 20, that have peanut allergies. Why would a parent make that up? It's not like peanuts are unhealthy or anything.

For whatever reason this allergy is growing.

If your kid has that allergy have him trade with his/her friends, what friend wouldn't give up Twizzlers for a Snickers bar?

I wish there was kids with this when I was a kid, I'd have been trading candy corns and Mary Jane's for Baby Ruths like a thief.

20. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Oh, I got some candy "just in case". :yes: