Dread Pirate Roberts: Online "pharmacy" dealing

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Avery, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Just read an article about this Dread Pirate Roberts guy. He runs some drug dealing site and has figured out how to keep absolute privacy. Now I see why gubberment is so threatened by bitcoin too. Pretty interesting stuff. Here's a few paragraphs from it, i linked the entire article at the bottom.

An entrepreneur as professionally careful as the Dread Pirate Roberts doesn’t trust instant messaging services. Forget phones or Skype. At one point during our eight-month preinterview courtship, I offer to meet him at an undisclosed location outside the United States. “Meeting in person is out of the question,†he says. “I don’t meet in person even with my closest advisors.†When I ask for his name and nationality, he’s so spooked that he refuses to answer any other questions and we lose contact for a month.

All my communications with Roberts are routed exclusively through the messaging system and forums of the website he owns and manages, the Silk Road. Accessing the site requires running the anonymity software Tor, which encrypts Web traffic and triple-bounces it among thousands of computers around the world. Like a long, blindfolded ride in the back of some guerrilla leader’s van, Tor is designed to prevent me–and anyone else–from tracking the location of Silk Road’s servers or the Dread Pirate Roberts himself. “The highest levels of government are hunting me,†says Roberts. “I can’t take any chances.â€

By the measure of Carnegie Mellon researcher Nicolas Christin, Roberts’ eBay-like service was grossing $1.2 million a month in the first half of 2012. Since then the site has doubled its product listings, and revenue now hits an annual run-rate of $30 million to $45 million by FORBES’ estimate.

Roberts also has a political agenda: He sees himself not just as an enabler of street-corner pushers but also as a radical libertarian revolutionary carving out an anarchic digital space beyond the reach of the taxation and regulatory powers of the state–Julian Assange with a hypodermic needle.

Mix up your coins in one of many available laundering services–Silk Road runs one automatically for all transactions on the site–and it becomes very difficult to follow the money. Even the FBI, according to one of the bureau’s leaked internal reports, worries that Bitcoin’s complexity and lack of a central authority “present distinct challenges†for tracking criminal funds. The result is a currency as convenient as PayPal and theoretically as anonymous as cash.

“We’re talking about the potential for a monumental shift in the power structure of the world,†Roberts writes. “The people now can control the flow and distribution of information and the flow of money. Sector by sector the State is being cut out of the equation and power is being returned to the individual.

Whole article & some video of the author talking about it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...-booming-black-market-drug-website-silk-road/

2. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Colin Powell. I'll assume this:
    [​IMG]

3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I listened to a podcast today, not from doomers or conspiracy theorists, who've said this stuff for years, but by respected mainstream financial investment broadcasters. Part of it was about how the government has to invade your financial privacy because eventually they will need to know who has assets they can grab once the bond auctions start to fail and people want to flee currency for hard assets. If you bought gold to avoid inflation they'll know about it. If you bought overseas land to diversify they'll know via your electronic trail. Bitcoin will probably end up declared a terrorist activity (which it could be used for) and shut down here with severe punishments for getting caught using it. And, since they can hack into most anything, you'll get caught. Anything like precious metals or bitcoin that competes with the US dollar is going to be punished via taxation and worse. This will all be done under the guise of fighting terrorism.

4. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This has been running quite a while now :whistle:

5. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i started reading, but stopped when i realized this wasn't about cary elwes getting caught dealing dope online.

6. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    :bump:

Relevant because of recent events. :c

For anybody interested now that the dinosaur media got your attention. :coffee:

PS ixnay on the absolute privacy-ay in my op. Those niggas that bought shit with bitcoin are all fucked.

Dread Pirate Roberts, allegedly:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. OCDlikeaMF

OCDlikeaMF Active Member

Reputations:
    Did you read how cheap this guy was? He was "Howard Stern cheap". He didn't like putting money back into the company. He even had a roommate.........

8. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All the details in this story sound sketchy. Everything from the founder of a business that supposedly brought in $80 million in commissions still having a roommate, to every detail in the government's story about him allegedly hiring a hitman.

They're gonna fuck this lamely-named dude with every inch of government dick at their disposal. They're way less concerned about the drug-dealing and way more pissed that they were being cut out of the profits.

Dude should've taken cues from Assange and Snowden and skipped town as soon as he had enough bank.

9. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i thought about using silk road for this and that, but in the end, i knew one thing for sure, the gubment does not fuck around when they can't get their take.

he was a dead man as soon as he started making $$ and cutting uncle sugar out of the equation.

it will be interesting to see if he rolls over on everybody that he can.

it might take awhile, but i'm thinking that the fbi can be very convincing.

10. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    So who's the new Dread Pirate Roberts? Did he survive the Fire Swamp?

11. MatthewRosa

MatthewRosa New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    If you get the answer to that can you please forward that my way.....

12. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The developer of TOR fucked everyone by giving the government the back door key. Fuck TOR

13. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    :umatrix::umatrix::umatrix::umatrix::umatrix::umatrix:

14. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Proof? To my knowledge there is no back door. However, there is recent speculation that the NSA can break 1024-bit keys in a few hours using custom chips.

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I think we just made the NSA's watch list.

16. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure everyone is on the list. But 99.999% of the population is too boring for them to worry about. I've played around with TOR before but there's nothing that I do that needs that kind of encryption (sorry to say).

17. Deodato

Deodato New Member

Reputations:
    I'd never heard of silk road or the dark interwebs before this.

18. GetOffMyPhone

GetOffMyPhone New Member

Reputations:
    Someone's gotta make a movie out of this. A seemingly normal smart tech guy, falls into the world of hacking and drugs. Leading a double life he builds a billion dollar narcotics trafficking operation on the dark webs, next thing you know he's ordering hits on people. Then one stupid slip up and it all comes crashing down. It's perfect.

19. HowardsNeckFlap

HowardsNeckFlap New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I wish I knew about this site before it closed down FUCK

20. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I smells me somthin' fishy I do.