Driver kills a child. Sues the child for psychological suffering

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kracka-Mike, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
    A woman who struck three teens on bikes while driving her SUV, killing one and injuring the others, is now suing the deceased teen, his family, and the other two boys. She is claiming $1.35 million in damages for her psychological suffering.

The South Simcoe Police report shows that Simon admitted to driving at 90 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and also states that no breathalyzer was performed, "although police say no alcohol was suspected and no charges were laid."

The Sun states that the police report mentioned little of Simon's husband, a York Regional Police officer, who was driving behind his wife during the accident. He pulled over when the boys were struck and drove his wife home shortly after

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/25/driver-that-struck-teen-suing-dead-boys-family

2. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    back in the 1970s during the gas shortages, a woman tried to ram her car into the gas line by pushing the rear of my intl harvester out of her way. a harvester weighed 10,000 pounds empty so all she did was dent her BMW. she leaped out and started screaming she was going to sue for damages. I was an EMT then and put my fireball on my hood and told her we would wait for the cop to come and explain to her how my car was parked.

people in cars are insane.

3. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do they have laws in Canada?

4. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yes we do, but all court rulings are decided by hockey shootout

5. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    :lol:

6. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On the flip side...

90km/hr in an 80km/hr zone is nothing. That's 55mph in a 50mph zone. So the fact that she was "speeding" is irrelevant.

And let's say it is totally the fault of the kid who got killed... let's say he was doing something stupid that was scaring drivers and got clipped and died from it... I would imagine that it must pretty well fuck you up psychologically to kill a kid in an accident. Suing the parents of a dead person is definitely over the line, but it's not like we can say this woman isn't a victim or that she is responsible for the accident.

7. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The speed limit is the maximum safe speed for that stretch of road under optimal conditions. Given they were not optimal conditions, the speeding is pretty damn relevant.

Pretty sure she is responsible. She drove the car that killed one kid and hit two others. She cannot see three people on the road with bikes? That is a pretty huge object. Either she can't drive or was incapacitated in some way. To make Dawg happy, apparently her husband is a cop and was following her in another car, with some accusations of the blue wall being at play here.

8. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this kid could have been me so easily. as a teen i'd bike to a friends house in the country, drink until 3 in the morning and then bike home down dark country roads with no safety light/reflectors whatsoever. and I thought it was fine because I could see the headlights and move over when a car was coming. now when I see kids doing the same shit I can't believe how stupid they are. the bottom line is: teenagers are pretty much retarded, but you can't sue them for being retarded when you kill them

9. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I lived in Tucson, well off the beaten path, and there were, probably still are, idiots who ride their bikes at night, wearing black clothing, with no reflectors. When you're driving 45 mph, or even in 30 mph, it's pretty damn hard to see them, especially if there are turns in the road.

My cousin is going to school in Guelph, and from what he's told me, the kids were riding three abreast, not in a line, which is just plain stupid if true. God rest the dead, but really. Also, and this is hearsay, but he read that the parents are suing her, and thinks this might be an attempt to get them to drop the suit. If this was just an accident, where both parties were being negligent, it should cancel the other out, at least as it relates to lawsuits.

10. Howards Wig

Reputations:
    You know, I have a problem doing math where a kid is dead, and actions "cancel each other out".

It is a fucked up situation, pure and simple. Her suing the dead kid's family (including his dead brother named in the suit?), is perhaps the biggest piece of shit move I have seen in awhile.

11. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bullshit. Speed limits have nothing to do with "maximum safe speeds". They are set by the lowest common denominator. You don't go 5 over on the highway? You slow down substantially when it's dark or there is drizzle in the air? If so, you're the slowest mofo on the road, because in over 20 years of driving, everyone goes over the limit and I've never seen anyone slow right down when it's dark or drizzly.

So there is no way a car can hit someone on a bike (at night, when the bikers have no safety clothing or lights) without it being the drivers fault? That's silly. I've been driving along and been surprised when I see some shithead walking along the side of the road in dark clothes. When there are oncoming headlights, you often can't see much. That's why bikes are required to use various safety equipment, which apparently these kids weren't using - in other words, operating illegally.

Who expects kids with no lights or appropriate clothing at 1am on a dark road in the rain? Dumbass kids. The woman is an insufferable cunt for suing the family, but the kids bear the bulk of responsibility for their safety when riding on the roadways. If the woman was guilty of being negligent and killing someone, she'd have been arrested. That her husband was a cop wouldn't matter... once the story hit the news, the blue line would be irrelevant.

12. Phil McKrakin

Phil McKrakin AKA Howie POTY The Bar VIP

Reputations:
    fuck off

13. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    born and raised....sorry, I just got excited to see the word Guelph on here

14. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    This bitch needs to have some late night visitors explain to her that tragic death of loved ones is instantaneous for the dead but the survivors who love them have to live with that sorrow and regret constantly - something they hope she'll never have to experience.

15. Howards Wig

Reputations:
    You may not like it, but that is the way it works. You do slow down when dark or drizzly, especially in rural areas where you can have deer, moose, bears etc. on the road (and I drive a lot on rural roads, and have encountered all of the above, many times). In addition, in rural areas, you should be able to not only see the road, but also the shoulder and to the forest line. Otherwise you may wind up with a deer or moose coming through your windshield.

As for lowest common denominator, driving is a about a lot more than just pushing the pedal down. I have training and have raced. However, I never delude myself into thinking I am a great driver and shit can't happen. I drive at the speed dictated by the conditions, and those around me. If this lady were doing the same, those kids would not have been hit. Load up the excuses all you want, but it is all bullshit excuses for bad driving.

Some of them had reflectors and reflective clothing. That is one big ass object right in the middle of the road. She fucked up and killed someone, and hit two others. Anyone who speeds where they have no visibility or ability to react is simply a shitty driver.

16. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:

I wanna sue you for just clicking on to this thread

17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    what are your thoughts on the crazy attack duck?

18. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Obviously not tort reform......

19. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Howard related because he sues for stupid shit too

She should be killed. /end thread.