Driving in traffic

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    it never fails. I drive a 2-lane highway for about an hour every day commuting. As soon as I get onto the highway, it's only a matter of time until some asshole that thinks they're more important than everyone else weaves in and out of traffic trying to make it to work one minute faster.

How do you people deal with shitheads like this without losing your shit? Today, I watched some red Lexus suv come from about a mile behind me, weave in and out of about 10 cars, then when they got behind me start flashing their lights. They then pop into the right lane, zoom around me. In thinking, there's no way this asshole is going to try this, there's barely 5 feet. Sure enough, he does, then slams on his brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me.

Took all I had not to lose my shit... My passenger threw their iced coffee into their cabin as we exited the highway.

2. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    A friend of mine is great at leaving just enough space between him and the car in the next lane that asshokes like this think they can get around. Then, when they get close and switch lanes to pass you, he inches up and closes the gap. To boot, he also pins the asshole in the right lane until people stack up behind him in the left lane, then inch forward watching the asshole cry because they can't get around.

3. Lostronaut

Lostronaut Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    road rage lulz

[​IMG]

Mike Huntslooce and RenchFries like this.
  4. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Roads usually don't have enough lanes to handle the traffic.

I think that if you're in the left lane doing ten over the limit, and if someone is doing 20 over, then move to the right and let them pass. Then you'll have a good target in front of your for the traffic cop to stop.

5. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Take a deep breath and remind yourself it's not worth dying over?:dontknow:

reno, RenchFries, Queefinout and 11 others like this.
  6. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:

yea this :jj:

i drive all day just get to your destination its not worth over thinking

7. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On New Jersey highways it's the law.
    "Stay Right, Pass Left" and the State Troopers don't care if you were doing the 10 miles over the speed limit either. Now they only issued 220 or so of those tickets last year, but I'm hoping for many more this year.

Now I'm talking specifically to you fucking Pennsylvanian and Connecticut drivers... Don't be a Left-lane Dick, move the fuck over Goddammit!
    :behave:

Nice, shitba, Drungle and 6 others like this.
  8. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did he actually fly across the entire width of the cross street?

9. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I'm in the Northeast and am spoiled with 3-4 lane highways... while bumper-to-bumper traffic can totally suck.. its pretty rare.

Typical traffic seems to move VERY briskly in the fast lane.. 80 is the norm.. but then there are days when someone in the fast lane wants to drive 65 so all 3 lanes are moving at the same speed, and crazy people weave-in-and-out... .I'm not that crazy but I sometimes wish I was. 65 on a 4 lane drives me nuts, but eventually that person will get the message and move over, then we pass as fast as we can.

I drove in OK a few years ago.. It was hard not to drive 80 on highways, mostly 2 lanes, but not much traffic. I was flying until everyone told me I was crazy and slowed down. I would get lots of tickets there

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  10. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    ive struggled with it... I hate it when folks don't use a turn signal. For a turn OR a lane change. They're too fucking important like you said to signal their intentions to people around them.

I usually try to just drive in the right lane. Out here on George Bush or Dallas N.Tollway, its 70mph, but the left (of3 or 4 lanes) usually moves at 80. There's always plenty of people driving slowly on the left side though; they dont understand the concept of pass left, slower right.. i guess.

So IF i can manage to not be running late.. that helps tremendously..in a sense... bc then I dont mind just cruising in the right lane at 60ish. I will let people merge; try to slow down slightly for those who understand how to merge... and try to speed up to accommodate the dummies who are merging doing 50. I'll be more coolheaded and helpful than if im in a desperate hurry to not be late.

What can really get me irritated is people riding my tail when im trying to accelerate my carriage at a reasonable rate of speed from a dead stop at a traffic light.

Nice likes this.
  11. Lostronaut

Lostronaut Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Turn signals are optional on some makes and models.

Rescued Owl likes this.
  12. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree. It is annoyingly. And there are many studies that confirm that it is this type of driving activity during heavy traffic that actually causes MORE TRAFFIC!!!!

What would make traffic flow the best is if everyone reduced the start-and-stop driving typical of changing lanes. Everyone should just drive the leisurely 10-15 mph or whatever speed required to avoid hitting the gas and brakes every 5 seconds.

FishySausage likes this.
  13. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm fortunate enough to live in just the right spot, their is traffic about a mile before my on ramp, and a ton of traffic just beyond my off ramp, it is so nice. But when I did hit traffic going to work, I never really encountered anyone moving from lane to lane, since traffic was bumper to bumper and you physically could not do that.

14. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    Oh, to be clear, if you're driving fast, I get out of the way. Most of the time though, there's traffic and no reason the switch lanes.

cwok likes this.
  15. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have to admit, this is EXACTLY what I do, too. :facepalm:

16. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    To be clear, if YOURE in the fast lane, and someone comes up behind you going faster than you are, you should let them pass

17. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    Get the FUCK out of the passing lane you fuck.

18. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    Get off the road Gramps. Stick to the electric carts provided in Walmart while you buy fruit with a coupon.

cwok, Shortwave98 and Ashbeard like this.
  19. McLennison

McLennison VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's funny. That's exactly what I do sometimes.

20. McLennison

McLennison VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    As stated before, let the asshole go and leave plenty of room. Car crashes on highways are extremely dangerous. You may be right but an accident doesn't care. It's an equal opportunity killer.

Also, the idea of let the speeder ahead of you so he's the one that gets the ticket is a valid reason too.