***** Dry Aged Steaks and Steak Rub Recipe Request

Discussion in 'Chez Dawgs' started by booybob, Nov 9, 2013.

1. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Is it true that you can Dry Age your own steak at home by leaving it unwrapped in the fridge for a few days??

Does anyone do this?

Can you please post some of your Steak Rubs Recipes that you use

thanks

2. mikehal121

mikehal121 Active Member

Reputations:
    I've read about wet aging in the fridge at home but haven't tried yet. Salt and pepper only on steak. :secret:

This site has great tips.

http://amazingribs.com

3. Chief

Chief New Member

Reputations:
    I just started dry aging this past year. Serious Eats does a good write up on it. Some quick pointers...

Aging one steak isn't really effective. Aging work mainly through microbial action working to tenderize and change the flavor of the beef and needs around 30 days for noticable flavor change to occur. The process drys out the outer portion of the cut of meat, necessitating it to be trimmed off. So if you're dealing with a single steak, not only will it be difficult to cut off the portion necessary, but what you need to cut off will betoo much to make it worth your while. You really need to age at least a few pounds to make it worth your while.

Make sure you have air circulation in your fridge. Target among other places sells these little usb mini fans -- their cords are thin enough to snake out of your fridge to the outlet.

I just bought a 14lb boneless rib roast -- if you're going to do a rib roast, I suggest you do a boneless one unless you're extremely handy with a boning knife. I bought bone-in my first go-round, and ended up wasting more steak than I had any right to trying to trim dessicated beef from around the ribs.

Put the roast on a wire rack. If you just lay it on a flat surface, you're going to get not-so-edible growth on the bottom of the roast. Slimy and nasty.Just needs to be elevated a bit with as little surface contact as possible to allow air flow underneath. Rotate it every week

4. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:

thanks