Entertainment Eddie Van Halen - Dave doesn't wanna be my friend

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TheWonk, Jun 19, 2015.

1. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    It's a looong article so I couldn't post it all here. Worth the read.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ie-van-halen-addiction-david-lee-roth-touring

Billboard Cover: Eddie Van Halen on Surviving Addiction, Why He's Still Making Music and What He Really Thinks of David Lee Roth (and Other Past Van Halen Bandmates)

Eddie Van Halen doesn't listen to music.

This is not a fake-out or a misdirection, nor is it a seemingly straightforward statement that actually means its opposite. Eddie Van Halen does not listen to music. “I don’t listen to anything,” he tells me from a greenish couch inside 5150, the expansive home recording studio built on his seven-acre residence in Studio City, Calif. I’d just asked if he ever revisits old Van Halen albums, but his disinterest in those records is merely the tip of a very weird iceberg: Unlike every other musician I’ve ever met, he does not listen to any music he isn’t actively making. The guitarist maintains that the last album he purchased was Peter Gabriel’s So, when it came out in 1986. He’s not familiar with the work of Radiohead, Metallica or Guns N’ Roses. He appears to know only one Ozzy Osbourne song Randy Rhoads played on, and it’s “Crazy Train.” He scarcely listened to Pantera, even though he spoke at the funeral of the group’s guitarist and placed the axe from Van Halen II inside the man’s casket. He doesn’t listen to the radio in his car, much to the annoyance of his wife (“I prefer the sound of the motor,” he says). He sheepishly admits he never even listened to most of the bands that opened for Van Halen and worries, “Does that make me an asshole?” Sometimes he listens to Yo-Yo Ma, because he loves the sound of the cello. But even that is rare.

“It’s an odd thing, but I’ve been this way my whole life,” he continues. “I couldn’t make a contemporary record if I wanted to, because I don’t know what contemporary music sounds like.”
    As a high school student, he was obsessed with Eric Clapton and mildly interested in Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. That’s pretty much the extent of his investment as a consumer. He can intuitively learn almost any song he hears and works on his own music every day -- the 5150 archive is filled to the rafters with unreleased recordings -- but he simply isn’t intrigued by the music of other people (the last “new” guitarist he liked is 68-year-old jazz artist Allan Holdsworth, who’s eight years older than he is). And if that seems strange, here’s something stranger: A few minutes after explaining this, I casually mention Taylor Swiftas an example of modern songwriting; before I finish my thought, Van Halen rhetorically speculates on the role Max Martin might play within her songwriting process. So how is it possible to not listen to music for three decades, yet still know the reputation of a faceless Swedish songwriter who specializes in high-gloss pop?

“I have a lot of Google alerts set up,” says Van Halen. “I think I read something where somebody said, ‘If Max Martin played guitar like Eddie Van Halen, he’d be dangerous.’ I know he’s like the modern Desmond Child. He makes all the hits. But that’s all I know about him.”

It’s a contradiction -- but not the first one, or the last.

Merging from the backyard party scene of mid-’70s Pasadena, Van Halen radically modernized the trajectory of American metal by simultaneously making it less heavy, more melodic, less gothic and more inclusive. The band’s first six albums sold 34 million copies in the United States, according to the RIAA, punctuated by the mammoth No. 1 single “Jump” in 1984. But that volcanic success melted into a never-ending carousel of high-profile reinvention: Vocalist David Lee Roth went solo, prompting the group to relaunch its identity with Sammy Hagar. During the next 10 years, this more refined, less bombastic version of Van Halen sold another 14.7 million records -- but that lineup was similarly doomed, leading to Hagar’s acrimonious departure and an ultra-brief, ill-fated reconciliation with Roth at the 1996 MTV Music Awards. That debacle spiraled into an awkward three-year union with ex-Extreme frontman Gary Cherone, the only singer Van Halen officially terminated. “It was a strange thing with Cherone,” recalls Van Halen. “We were getting ready to go on tour, and all of a sudden I see this John Travolta outfit -- these big lapels and a crazy jacket. He’s like, ‘This is my stage outfit.’ That’s when I realized it wasn’t going to work. But I don’t dislike Gary at all.”

Hagar rejoined in 2003 (mostly for touring purposes) but exited again after two years, this time followed by bassist Michael Anthony (eventually replaced in Van Halen by Eddie’s son Wolfgang). Rumors that Roth would return once more progressively bubbled to the surface; in 2007, it finally happened. Which leaves us where we are today, at least for the moment. The current lineup released A Different Kind of Truth in 2012, trailed by a 2015 live album cut in Japan. Interestingly, A Different Kind of Truth included a handful of old songs abandoned from the band’s earliest demos, selected by Wolfgang and lyrically updated by Roth.

2. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Van Halen's comments about Michael Anthony are laughable. Obviously, I cannot speak to whether Eddie had to teach Anthony all his chords (and let's face it Anthony isn't a great bassist), but Anthony's backing vocals were very much instrumental to the success of Van Halen songs (as the article states).

I am sorry, but Eddie is an incredible guitarist, but a pain in the ass to get a long with. No one other than Alex seems to be able to get along with him. Sure Roth is no prize himself, but Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony don't seem like bad guys and Eddie can't get along with them either.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    teehee, RonHeinzkaboot, Droog and 3 others like this.
  3. MelroseLarry#1

MelroseLarry#1 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    David Lee roth looks like Marty Feldman, nice fucking schnoz

4. AnnnndUmmmm

AnnnndUmmmm Member

Reputations:
    wow, I don't even recognize Eddie anymore. From watching that video on billboard.com, that you linked.

5. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I call b.s. on this whole article. EVH fancies himself as a musical savant, but he knows ALOT more about it than he is letting on.

Honkey Donkey and Droog like this.
  6. A. Genius

A. Genius Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Eddie was the player I tried to emulate in my formative years. Randy as well. Night ranger and iron maiden for harmonized guitar stuff. Can't go wrong copying great players like these. I knew a chic, had a new best friend every couple months. She would always end up saying, 'fuck her, she's a bitch. I hate her. What is wrong with people??'. Eddie reminds me of her in that respect. If you can't get along with anybody, maybe it's you. On another note, if you can't separate the art from the artist, you'll never enjoy it.

RonHeinzkaboot and AnnnndUmmmm like this.
  7. A. Genius

Reputations:
    Also, he's lying. I don't know why. But I have a DVD of a mid 80's tour, and he's fucking around backstage playing Robert Palmer's 'addicted to love'. So there's that.

Droog and octex like this.
  8. Ynnek4

Ynnek4 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  9. Cinnaminion

Cinnaminion All Shadowy Light Gold

Reputations:
    I think I've read all I need to read about Eddie Van Halen being at the very least, difficult,...more likely, an asshole.
    An interesting asshole?
    But what matters is the music that's created.

Because really, aren't most rockstars assholes?
    We like them that way.:cool:

TheWonk likes this.
  10. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Damn I used to worship Eddie, but now I wouldn't walk across the street to see them play for free. Similar to how I feel about Howard now.

austin54, Kilroy and Droog like this.
  11. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Van Halen had it going on for a brief time. They fused pop, glam, and metal into something more than the hair bands that followed. David Lee Roth was the best front man since Mick Jagger. Hard to believe the cool dude from their videos became the wide-eyed, grinning, cheese ball that he is today. Eddie seems to just not give a shit about anyone other than himself.

Josey Wales and Captain like this.
  12. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    Who you calling a wide-eyed, grinning cheese ball?

bea miller and Droog like this.
  13. A. Genius

Reputations:
    I've been thinking about this. VH actually had it going on for nearly 20 straight years. First album in 78 last good album in 95 I believe. Then quick decline. Eddie was at his creative peak at the original split between 1984 and 5150. He was around 30 years old, standard peak age for string musicians. They had major tours for all those original albums with Dave and the red rocker. Some bands, no matter how good they are, can't seem to achieve that certain status enjoyed by the likes of zeppelin (meh), stones (meh), or iron maiden, just to name a few. The worst part for me is not being able to hear all the stuff that will never be released. Alternate takes, jam sessions, outtakes etc. I've never heard the cherone album either. As with all things artistic, I know all opinions are subjective. Hence my opinion of two of the bands I mentioned. That being said, I wonder if the cherone album is anyone's favorite.

octex and Kilroy like this.
  14. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    The Cherone album is no one's favorite, not even Cherone himself. The production is horrible and the songs never quite click. And I'm a big Extreme fan so I certainly don't blame Gary. Theywere pretty good in concert playing DLR tunes that hadn't been played since Dave was in the band.

I remember this being the only decent song on the album. I let a friend borrow it back then and never asked for it back.

Kilroy likes this.
  15. A. Genius

Reputations:
    @BethsWonkyEye
    I watched the cherone vid. Seems like a contractual obligation. Had to produce an album or be dropped. Pulled a bunch of old riffs out of storage and tried to cobble something together. All the musicians are pros so its just the half assed cobbling that makes the album suck. Even the way Eddie dressed, trying for a look that wasn't him at all. Cherone was as pro as the others, but there was no way Eddie was going to pull together the best stuff from his backlog and let Gary have at it. It was merely done to get WB off their back. Glad he could sing Roth and Hagar though. Hagar sang at the top of his range all the time . Not easy to do, or imitate. Always wanted an album of cherry picked live performances from the Roth and Hagar eras. Would happily buy it. Nice thigh gap in vid chic.

TheWonk likes this.
  16. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Prince doesn't listen to music that he isn't actively composing/producing himself either.

Seems like the hallmark of the egotist perpetually writing in circles.
    Indeed. The best art is seemingly crafted by dickbags. The bigger the dickbag, the better the art. I don't get when people get all emotionally wrapped up in, "Oh I heard this story about how he was a dick, blah blah blah" "OH I HOPE IT'S NOT TRUE." Like what's it matter? You shouldn't want to hang out with these people on a Saturday night. Weirdos.

A. Genius likes this.
  17. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    They're not on bootlegs? Tying him in with Prince again, yeah, his are legendary as well and there's like 40 disc sets of every surfaced out and alt take. Not everything, mind you, but, a large amount.

You're saying Van Halen don't enjoy that status? Maybe not a Zeppelin or Stones level (and I'll go ahead and echo your meh), but they're certainly on a higher plane than an Iron Maiden. I think you're just hanging around too much of a metal crowd, only the devotees rate Maiden that high. Joe Six Pack doesn't give two shits about Iron Maiden.

Super Dave likes this.
  18. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Van who? Oh that band that was awesome 30 years ago. :facepalm:

19. rockstarhair

rockstarhair Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Imo, Eddie peaked with his guitar playing at Fair Warning. He had some gems after that(Drop Dead Legs, Top Jimmy), but he became a parody of himself. You can start to hear it in the Beat It solo, it's him throwing his cliche licks into it. When he really started focusing on crafting pop-rock songs ala Journey and Foreinger(Mick Jones produced 5150 after all), his guitar playing seemed to become less interesting. Dreams is an awful song and the solo sucks. I can't believe the guy who wrote and played that song also wrote the intro to Mean Street.

TheWonk likes this.
  20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    DLR is washed up. Eddie can still play, and play well

scoobyla likes this.