Politics Edward Snowden: why Barack Obama should grant me a pardon

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Sep 13, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Edward Snowden has set out the case for Barack Obama granting him a pardon before the US president leaves office in January, arguing that the disclosure of the scale of surveillance by US and British intelligence agencies was not only morally right but had left citizens better off.

The US whistleblower’s comments, made in an interview with the Guardian, came as supporters, including his US lawyer, stepped up a campaign for a presidential pardon. Snowden is wanted in the US, where he is accused of violating the Espionage Act and faces at least 30 years in jail.

Speaking on Monday via a video link from Moscow, where he is in exile, Snowden said any evaluation of the consequences of his leak of tens of thousands of National Security Agency and GCHQ documents in 2013 would show clearly that people had benefited.

“Yes, there are laws on the books that say one thing, but that is perhaps why the pardon power exists – for the exceptions, for the things that may seem unlawful in letters on a page but when we look at them morally, when we look at them ethically, when we look at the results, it seems these were necessary things, these were vital things,” he said.

“I think when people look at the calculations of benefit, it is clear that in the wake of 2013 the laws of our nation changed. The [US] Congress, the courts and the president all changed their policies as a result of these disclosures. At the same time there has never been any public evidence that any individual came to harm as a result.”

Much more...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...den-why-barack-obama-should-grant-me-a-pardon

oldpaddy and x76 like this.
  2. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seriously, the only one who is even going to consider pardoning Snowden or Assange is Trump. It's Obama and his administration Snowden embarrassed. His chances of getting a pardon from him are near zero.

3. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
  4. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He performed a public service. The US has been WRONG for years and years now, ignoring the rule of law. All of it to feed military-industrial corporations, as far as I can tell. Snowden, Manning, Assange -- the US wants them all dead or locked up for exposing the truth of what the US has done in the name of "liberty".

cg256, redshirt, Stew Nod and 2 others like this.
  5. dawg

Reputations:
    Yeah, No

6. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Okay, he has no prayer of a pardon then. Was not aware Trump had said that about him.

7. dawg

Reputations:
    Exactly, no one is going to be attached to that pardon, i think its hopeless for Snowden

8. blackcrystal61

blackcrystal61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No pardon for Comrade Snowden

9. Fred Derp

Fred Derp Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My issue with him is, regardless if what he did was "wrong" or "right", why flee the country like a coward? If he feels so strongly that what he did was right then come back and have your trial and present your case. Be a man about it and not some jerk off cunt of a coward that's too afraid too face the potential consequences

I fucking hate cowards

10. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    No, not interested in this.

Whats the problem here, he lives room and board in Russia. Right where he belongs.

11. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This fucker should be locked up for life just for wearing that bad wig when he did his "Chelsea" selfie in his car.......
    IMG_7434.JPG

:artiejj:

12. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    this faggot was either more than a run of the mill analyst or he's a nuclear attention whore. he needs to go away.

13. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Why volunteer for a kangaroo court? He wouldn't have gotten a fair deal.

Obama should pardon him and then commission a nice bronze statue to put in front of the reflecting pool in recognition of his heroism.

14. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What makes you think they would give him a trial?

Go look at what they did to a hero like Pat Tillman. If the system is fixed, I see no cowardice in fleeing it. It is just being smart.

cg256 likes this.