Stern Show Emily Goes for Beth in NY Post Today

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by The Bloody Nine, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bloody Nine

The Bloody Nine VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  2. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "He used to be one way, and then he marries a model."

You can just feel the love.

3. The Bloody Nine

Reputations:
    "
    My dad Howard Stern put me off dating men
    By Doree Lewak

November 8, 2015 | 6:00am

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Howard and Emily Stern Photo: FilmMagic/Annie Wermiel

A couple of blocks away from the Upper West Side home of radio’s king of raunch, Howard Stern, his Torah-scholar daughter sits in her ankle-length skirt and recites a blessing.

Emily Stern, 32, couldn’t have a life more different from her famous father’s.

Nearly a decade ago, Howard’s eldest child decided to practice Orthodox Judaism, and traded in Friday nights about town for 20-person Shabbat dinners in an uptown apartment. Strappy dresses gave way to outfits that cover her elbows and knees.

She’s also single — and chalks that up to her pop’s habit of blabbing about graphic sex on the airwaves five days a week.

“It’s rare I go on dates [now],” Emily tells The Post. And, “my dad’s emphasis on sexuality [in his career] kept me out of the dating ring [when I was younger].”

She’s also still scarred by her parents’ 1999 split — Howard divorced college sweetheart Alison Berns, the mother of Emily and her sisters, Ashley and Debra, after 21 years of marriage.

“I believed that my parents were very much in love,” Emily says. “I felt like the divorce came out of nowhere. I thought that sacred bond was so strong. He used to be one way, and then he marries a model.” (Howard, 61, married blond bombshell Beth Ostrosky, who is 18 years his junior, in 2008.)

She muses that her mom’s re-entry into the working world might have been the straw that broke Howard’s back. “Maybe he couldn’t handle it when she went back to work as a psychoanalyst.”

Raised in tony Old Westbury, LI, the Stern daughters’ sheen as progeny of a celebrity belied a much more complicated adolescence.

Emily says it was difficult to deal with Howard’s fame.

“My dad always instilled in us, ‘Everybody’s watching you,’ ” she recalls. While Howard “always said it was for our protection,” she attributes his warnings to “narcissism.”

“I was alone. The belief that we were so different made it unhealthy,” she says. “Maybe because he was disconnected from the world, he experienced so much shame about who he was.”

She grew up fasting for Yom Kippur and enjoying family Passover Seders, but her parents weren’t particularly religious. Howard once said on-air that he hated wearing yarmulkes and joked that the theme of Emily’s bat mitzvah should be “I hate Jews.”

But Howard and Alison did practice Transcendental Meditation. Emily got her first mantra at age 10, and still practices today. In 2014, Howard told Jerry Seinfeld on an episode of “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” that “everyone in my life meditates; I don’t think I could really live without it.”

Emily went on to graduate from the theater program at NYU’s Tisch School, but laments a lack of familial guidance when it came to pursuing a career.

“We never discussed what I’d be when I was growing up,” she says. “It sort of did me a disservice.” She now works full-time as an artist (writing plays and music and acting) while also studying Torah at the Drisha Institute.

In 2005, she was cast in the off-off-Broadway play “Kabbalah.”

Playing Madonna, Emily says she was “so excited for and committed to” the role that she colored her raven locks blond — and went nude.

But things went south after mediocre reviews surfaced. According to Emily, low ticket sales forced director Tuvia Tenenbom to trade on her “daughter-of” status — and an unauthorized video of her wearing next to nothing — to promote the show. (Tenenbom denies doing any of this.)

She quit six weeks in, armed with the muscle of her father’s lawyers.

“I told the director, ‘Don’t advertise who I am.’ He manipulated my love for the show for his gain,” she says.

Still, even now that she lives a life of modesty, Emily doesn’t regret the experience, and won’t discount the possibility of getting nude onstage again.

“I don’t say never to anything,” she coyly concedes.

Her next public exhibition is much more sedate: a photo exhibit opening Nov. 18 at the Hadas Gallery in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, that focuses on the water-retention landscape in Portugal. Emily calls the works the “Wells of Miriam” because it reminds her of the “mikveh,” a ritual bath in Judaism that’s associated with renewal.

“This is my way to connect with the world,” she says of her art.

As for connecting with her family these days, Emily says she is “close with both my parents” and that they have no problem with her more-religious life. “Everyone in my family is evolving — no one has that resentment toward Judaism,” she explains. She even keeps her own set of kosher dishware at her mom’s place for family dinners (sans Howard, of course).

“It took a lot of bravery [to become religious],” she says of her change over the past nine or so years. “I was trying to figure out what to be in the world. I’d say, ‘God help me.’

“The question was, ‘What am I going to do with my life?’ It was a little bit of a crisis,” she admits.

“F - - k it if [people] think it’s weird or doesn’t make sense.”

4. Joshb

Joshb Active Member

Reputations:
    i think this article confirms what we have all suspected. That is that wiggy is a horrible father.

5. aquadog

aquadog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Omg omg omg

6. Gear Jammer

Gear Jammer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great parenting. Screwing with a childs mind isn't cool in my book.

7. The Bloody Nine

Reputations:
    It's all crashing down. Wigward, you got some 'splainin to do!

Tim, Nick Manning, JRoyle411 and 46 others like this.
  8. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    “I believed that my parents were very much in love,” Emily says. “I felt like the divorce came out of nowhere. I thought that sacred bond was so strong. He used to be one way, and then he marries a model.” (Howard, 61, married blond bombshell Beth Ostrosky, who is 18 years his junior, in 2008.)

yikes.. you can just feel the hate through that entire article

9. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beth, Emily DOESN'T speak your name.

10. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    Sure.

11. CCMaguire

CCMaguire Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    “My dad always instilled in us, ‘Everybody’s watching you,’ ” she recalls. While Howard “always said it was for our protection,” she attributes his warnings to “narcissism.”

Go Emily!! :yes:

12. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

13. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Another trust fund baby.

14. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    Makes me kind of sad though, I can't imagine ever writing anything negative about my father. Sure he did some things that she may not have agreed with, but to publicly write about him like that, yikes.

15. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    could her reluctance to date men be tied in with a proclivity for lesbian sex...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Free Food, JRoyle411, Scott and 37 others like this.
  16. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
  17. ehsfriend

ehsfriend Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    She's getting written out of the will as we speak. I bet she's not actually that close to Howard as she says. This is brutal and will devastate and humiliate him especially since it's in the NY Post.

18. The Bloody Nine

Reputations:
    Does Wig ever mention it? Callers (not that any other than Bobo and MaryAnne get on)...YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Zach, tired, Tracy and 3 others like this.
  19. lisac37

lisac37 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WOW. he can pretend that he doesn't care about the Radar articles, or the criticism twitter he's been getting lately, etc......but this HAS to upset him. Wonder if he will address it and say Emlly was totally misquoted and tear the writer to shreds?

20. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Websters just updated their Slapped a Yarmulke image

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.