Ever go to one of those investment seminars @ a hotel?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    You hear the ads for investment seminars at hotels, like "rich dad, poor dad" (on Sirius) or investing or house flipping. Ever go? I am curious if someone business-minded can learn something.

crazypreacher and smichal like this.
  2. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I went to one about 25 years ago. It was a total scam. The ad for the seminar claimed to advise people about a new business opportunity and the huge profits available by getting in on the ground floor. The "seminar" turned out to be a sales pitch for some water filtration system - these guys were running some kind if pyramid scheme. I'll never forget how dirty I felt walking out of there.

Turkeyneck and smichal like this.
  3. Hamster

Hamster Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I went to a "free" leadership seminar with a bunch of speakers..... Colin Powell, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw....other sports and entertainment types. Bunch of nonsense and you were free to go anytime you wanted .... IF you could weave your way through the tables and tables of books and DVDs they were peddling. Plenty of suckers lining up.

1Vegasgirl, teehee and smichal like this.
  4. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    if the seminar hosts could make as much money as they claim, why the fuck are they wasting their energy telling other people how to do it instead of making fat stacks for themselves?

5. MilkyDischarge

Reputations:
    I was reading about Armando montelongo. First one is free (like all drugs). Then $1500 for two to attend a three day seminar. Then $40,000 for a bus tour through low income neighborhoods to identify houses to flip. I think $10k is pretty good for low income flip profit, so you probably have a year of flipping to break even,

6. Blazing Buffalo

Blazing Buffalo Members Only

Reputations:
    I went to a seminar years ago. Dude was talking about a bunch of sales ideas and positive thinking and all sorts of things that didn't apply to my business. So after he was done I went up to him and asked him to be more specific and if he could talk more about his ideas as they relate to my specific field. Dude was like a robot repeating exactly what be said during his presentation and told me if I just kept at it and stuck to the program things would fall in place. These guys are basically actors reading from a script.

teehee likes this.
  7. oski

oski Jump For Cock

Reputations:
    Ding ding ding ding

Same with anyone selling you a stock trading program

8. I invented that

Reputations:

don't forget to factor in the learning curve.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  9. MilkyDischarge

Reputations:
    They're probably no different than a Scientology info session.

Some people are just born as a predator.

teehee likes this.
  10. I invented that

Reputations:
    and some born as rubes.

smellmyfinger, 1Vegasgirl and teehee like this.
  11. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Flipping? Even the pros got burned, big time, in 2008 and are still trying to put out the fires. And even in good times real property is not something to start dipping your toes in unless you (a) have a shit load of money you can afford to spend or (b) already know a lot about real property.

Let's just start with the fact that recordation of real property interests is a county-by-county process, each with its own rules and regs. Factor in all the "unknowns" that might not appear on a title report (assuming you have one run on an inner city property): environmental degradation, wild deeds, unrecorded property tax obligations, changed APN numbers, etc., and you are basically gambling when you flip: you keep hoping you're on the balloon when its going up, 'cause when it comes down you are toast. Years ago I had a client that was the proud owner of undeveloped commercial real property in Salt Lake City, right by a new shopping center. Easy $$$ right? Only problem, a title holder from decades ago went into bankruptcy; the EPA discovers the old owner mined vermiculite (asbestos) and sent it by train to the property to be unloaded, and then sent it off to wherever (probably my grade school :)). Result? Current title holder is on the hook for a cool $4 million in clean up costs. Cant sell until its cleaned up; can't rely on the former owner (in bankruptcy) for contribution; and liability is joint and several: meaning if GUILTY party cannot pay, you pay for being the owner of polluted property.

12. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They're all bullshit... I'll tell ya what.. Wanna make money? Attend these things, tape them, talk shit, make a documentary. Thank u for the call

stanggirl likes this.
  13. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    upload_2015-2-12_23-2-48.png

smellmyfinger likes this.
  14. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    They are all just trying to sell you something.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  15. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was watching Under Cover Boss the other week and they had this guy Armando Montelongo who basically runs these types of seminars, looked like a huge scam, I feel sorry for the people that get sucked into that.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Sounds legit to me
    [​IMG]

Petal, 1Vegasgirl and Hamster like this.
  17. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I went to one for water filters in the mid-80's. Me and my friend were thinking we could hit the ground running after high school and we're looking to become businessmen. We had no idea what we were doing. they tried a hard sell on us and we were laughing because even us dummies knew a scheme when we saw it. Others there bought into it hook, line, and sinker. :jj:

18. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

GLguygardner likes this.
  19. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I was around 19, I ran into a kid I knew from high school, at the grocery store. He was working as a checker. He said, "Hey I've got an opportunity for you." I said, "Is it a job?" He said, "Yeah, it's a business opportunity."

He asked me to meet him at Denny's for coffee so he could tell me about it. I sit down, he starts talking, and five minutes later his buddy comes in and sits down with us. I'm still trying to figure out what the business is. I ask "Is it sales?" He says, "Well we don't like to call what we do sales...we're building a business. We're having a big meeting Wednesday night. Why don't you come check it out and you can find out all about it."

So I go to this meeting in this hotel. It's an Amway meeting. I hadn't really heard of Amway before, but I could tell something strange was going on. I had heard of pyramid schemes, and as I sat there in the meeting, I started to feel that I was right in the middle of one. It kind of felt like being in church. My friend and his associates all had these big excited desperate smiles on their faces. Observing the way they interacted with each other, just based on body language, I was able to recognize the hierarchy they were working in -- who worked for who, and who they worked for, and who they worked for, etc.

Anyway, after the meeting I thanked my friend and said goodbye to him, as he was pressuring me to become a part of his "business." Needless to say, I never went to another meeting.

I only saw my friend one other time. I saw him drive by in his truck one day, shortly thereafter. He didn't see me. He was pushing his glasses back up on his face, and he had the same determined, brainwashed, desperate look about him. I know he must have been thinking about what he could do next to "make his business grow".

20. Omen

Omen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ha, I saw that too
    His whole CS dept computer system was hourglassed all the time lol

1Vegasgirl likes this.