Expecting You To Pay Your Bill Is Now Racist

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by booybob, Jul 21, 2014.

1. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    According to the NAACP in Detroit.

Local
    NAACP: Detroit Water Service Shutoffs Were Racially Motivated
    July 21, 2014 1:42 PM
    [​IMG]
    DETROIT (WWJ) - In a class action lawsuit filed against the city of Detroit, the NAACP says that recent water shutoffs to Detroit residents were racially motivated.

The suit filed in Detroit federal court claims, according to Veronica Joyce with the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, “That (the shutoffs are) being done in a discriminatory fashion; and they should at least take a look at whether there’s a better way to do this that doesn’t affect the most vulnerable citizens — the majority of whom are African American here in Detroit.”

Attorney Alice Jennings, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Detroit residents, said it’s a known fact that there are corporations that owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to the city of Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.

“These companies are basically Caucasian companies,” Jennings said. “The folks who are being cut off are almost one hundred percent African American.”

Asked by WWJ’s Charlie Langton directly if this is a “racial issue,” Jennings replied: “It sure is! You bet it is.”

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department stopped service to about 7,200 homes and businesses in June, compared to 1,570 in the same month last year. Water was restored to 43 percent after customers paid or worked out payment plans.

At a bankruptcy hearing Monday, federal Judge Steven Rhodes asked the city for an update on the water issue, but fell short of ordering any action.

Rhodes said the people of Detroit “need their water,” but added, “There’s nothing for me to do about that today.”

During the same hearing, water department officials announced they would stop water shutoffs for the next 15 days while working to do a better job getting the word out residents that the city will help poor people pay for water.

[Detroit: No More Water Shutoffs For Next 15 Days]

Talking to WWJ’s Sandra McNeil shortly after the announcement, water department spokesman Greg Eno admitted there’s no doubt that the department has been lax over the years, letting the bills pile up.

He said people who now owe more than they can afford are being asked to come in and apply for assistance through the Water Affordability Program.

Eno said, through, it’s not just free money.

“It also teaches them, or works into their budget, monies that would be dedicated to their water bill, because they have to make a contribution every month,” he explained. “This is not a program where you get everything given to you and you contribute nothing.”

Eno stressed, however, that not everyone in need will be able to get help.

“We don’t have, you know, a bottomless cup of funds,” he said, adding that’s why it’s important that affected customers come in as soon as possible.

As for the claim that residents are being targeted, but not corporations who are behind on their bills:

“The balances they have accrued — and, yes, some of them are significant, and we’ve made that list public — had been a result of storm water runoff charges; many of which are in dispute right now,” Eno said.

Eno said corporations are being given shutoff notices, too; and some, including Chrysler, have already paid up millions in overdue bills. I guess the racism argument is gone

Monday’s developments came three days after an estimated 2,000 people took to the streets downtown to protest the water shutoffs. Among them was “Avengers” actor Mark Ruffalo, who appeared unexpectedly, calling on others to join the demonstration.

MORE: Hundreds Protest Detroit Water Shutoffs

TallTyrion likes this.
  2. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

Barry Soetoro likes this.
  3. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lol, I was like man that guy looks like Mark Rufallo, Ctrl F...yup it is.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I've been to complaints about utilities being shut off in the ghetto. There is nothing I can do about it but they call anyway. It isn't uncommon for them to owe many thousands. The complaint is always that it is racist and that it can't be turned off because a baby is in the house.

The heat is set to 90 with windows left open, lights aren't turned off and faucets aren't closed. Why conserve and be responsible when it is "free". :facepalm:

I understand that it isn't always like that but I have seen it way too many times. There are plenty of programs to help the needy (and those programs get abused).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lemmy, have you ever run into one of those "Sovereign Citizen" A group of lovely people that say they cannot be given tickets, arrested, etc?

6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    why should they pay for water? they dont pay for anything else

7. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    By MANY MANY well to do individuals as well(that are NOT in need).

On a related note... You don't pay, It gets SHUT OFF End of story!

R.P. McMurphy likes this.
  8. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks, Mr.Lincoln

CrucifiedAGT and isabella like this.
  9. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Yes. They are a pain in the ass to deal with. We have a specific protocol in place for them that I don't really agree with (it sort of gives them what they want so the city can avoid the hassle) but I am a mere pawn.

10. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    When your water is shut off it's impossible to make grape Kool-Aid. Racist.

11. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    We need to start a Kneegrow for Palestinian exchange program. Id trade 2 for every one.

TeeDonkey and FSFN like this.
  12. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree that you should pay your bills. But if what they're saying is true, that only "their" water is being turned off when others that owe ten fold more get to keep theirs on, they may be on to something.

My solution: Everyone one (and all corporations) who owe the water utility get their water shut off. End of complaints.

13. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:

That's what happens when you give away things for free. It becomes expected.

Bye You!, TeeDonkey, kingship and 2 others like this.
  14. Burly

Burly Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    This just in, black people seen for the first time ever in Detroit Public Libraries. "They got coh' watah fountinz"

Bye You! likes this.
  15. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    What?

16. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Turn on the water - Tax Wall St. So now these people shouldn't have to pay for water? Why not take the money that was spent on welfare rights t-shirts and pay a few bills.
    And maybe spend as much time working as protesting and see what happens.

Bye You! and Barry Soetoro like this.
  17. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    sizzerp

Lemmy likes this.
  18. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't wash my car with Detroit city water. :dancin2:

19. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Sorry man. Guess you could wait until it rains ?

20. BadKarma

BadKarma Extended Member

Reputations:
    Purple drank