Exploitation of People With Disabilities on the HSS

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by redial, Nov 22, 2015.

1. redial

redial Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's a really funny clip of Gary the Conqueror, on the phone with Sal and Richard. They give him the runaround, basically they're torturing a retard. But it's hilarious.
    I feel conflicted about this. Much of the content is using people with disabilities, but it's entertaining. The whole whack pack- Gary, Wendy, Jeff the Drunk, Ass Napkin Ed, on and on, are people with illnesses. You don't hear Debbie the Pet Lady or John the Stutterer much anymore, their sickness was so evident it was no longer fun or funny.
    Used to be the carnival would come to town, and have a freak show, with people with Beetlejuice's affliction, among others. At some point, we as a society figured out this was wrong, so you don't see that anymore.
    The standard response is ' these people get famous from the show, and can make money from appearances'. Would be interesting to figure out what percentage of HSS content is from the whack pack, and from there how much Howard earns from these people. Guarantee it's a lot more than the whack packers make from appearances.
    Would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

TheHighHat, Guacamole and Tracy like this.
  2. hypo666

hypo666 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It used to really bother me, but over time,I have become less bothered by it,when I realised the reality of those peoples lives off the stern show. What I mean by that is, when I think of what eric the midget's life daily was off the show for example ,if I was him I would have done the same. Sure howard no doubt made loads of money off him, but he eric got laid, he no doubt got cash bungs,but most important I think for eric, he was famous in that odd world which is the stern show and it's fans , he wasn't just some little dude in a wheel chair being looked after by carers and his parents. I bet eric regrets none of it. I also think Howard did have soft spot for eric in particular, if you remember the content of some of erics calls,they were pretty pointless yet howard put them through, I think because he was interested himself with eric. I think as far as howard is capable of liking someone he did like eric, and I would wager he wasn't lying when he said beth cried and I bet he did too.

I think many people in society shun those with disabilities, retardation, and mental illness already, and I think for some of them the HSS gives them a taste of a more exciting life. I have no doubt howard exploits their issues but it wasnt howard that gave them these issues, and it isn't howard that tells society how to treat them.I don't hear or see the protests outside the sirius offices,.... the media shoving cameras at howard for the 'exploitation',why because the reality is, no one gives that much of a shit about them .Because they aren't pretty for the cameras, I sometimes wonder, that part of why howard use to lock himself away in that room and never go out ,was because he knew it was wrong what he was doing on that show to them ,yet no one stopped him, and he saw human beings for what they really are.Didn't howard or his first wife alison use to work with the mentally ill?the film private parts seems to allude to that he probably knows exactly what Iam talking about.

Perhaps it should depend on individuals, I mean eric using his example again, despite his issues, he knew where he was, what he was doing and I think capable of giving consent, perhaps it gets a bit murkier with the likes of gary the retard, {refuse to use the pc term}, but again, I see guys like garry around my town, I see mental cases like big foot, begging on the street, and I just think is the HSS show so bad? Maybe again it's a sad reflection of society when I think maybe being 'exploited' by the stern show is preferable to whats in store for them on these mean streets. While howard has a use for them, at least someone is keeping an eye on them to an extent. What a miserable thought...

3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's funny to goof on the retarded and pathetic

4. aerostern

aerostern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ugh please listen to something else if you don't like it the stern show has always been about goofing on people...

JustLurking and Mlaw like this.
  5. F Timmy

F Timmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gunk owes the whackpack most of what he has ever "earned". An obtuse, awkward, talentless queen got lucky exploiting societies outcasts. Hank, ETM & Beetles families should be named in his will. They earned more marbles for him than that fuckin cross eyed, barren, Arab jizz bucket horse he married.

How can you look at this and not smile a little bit. This is what built Chimney Manor.
    [​IMG]

Gusbuss, John Mahlin and Bearcat1 like this.
  6. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    GENERALLY I think that it is not really exploitation to make the world aware of people that are different. Hank for example, was fully in on the joke and his life was richer for it. He was on TV, in people magazine, and had a lot of fans. Same with Beetlejuice. He's traveled the world, enriched his life, and even was in a movie. So i that sense I don't see it negative. There's a difference between teasing Gary, shoo shoo retarded flu, and 1800 flowers, and really scaring him (the trip to the moon was NOT fun or funny for me).
    Debbie the Pet Lady threatened lawsuits and other things, she's banned. John the Stutterer - I don't know why he's not on any more. I got the impression HE felt it was having a detrimental effect on him, and he took himself out of the loop. I always liked when he was on. I think that Howard is much more fearful of these oddities than he used to be and realized that some of the crazier ones can do real damage (ie Elliot Offen).

reno, Asshat, hypo666 and 1 other person like this.
  7. loogaroo

loogaroo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i didn't like when they set up gary the retard w/ mary carey's retarded mom.

8. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    Tan Mom has been bugging me a bit lately because (while she is entertaining, no doubt) they haven't acknowledged what Dr. Drew said was actually going on with her which is severe brain damage. She was abused as a child and apparently her frontal brain lobe is all but gone. I guess she also drinks and that makes her a complete mess but they act like she's just a slobbering drunk and can help being a total idiot and that's not the case.
    I suppose if they want to have a laugh at her expense then fine, but Gary on Wrap Up Show acting like he doesn't know what the fuck is wrong with her after Dr Drew specifically told him the day previous about her brain trauma was shitty.

She is all hung up on Sal now to the point of stalking him (allegedly) and one of the last times she called in Howard told her that Ronnie was "asking" about her. So for the sake of "comedy" they're confusing and leading on a woman with brain damage...idk it's a little over the line to me?

9. todd packer

todd packer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :coffee:
    [​IMG]

10. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Howard is and was in essence a carnival barker, the difference has always been the freaks have come to him, and made the most of it, and were and are, always free to go

11. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Agreed, they're going way too far with this one. They KNOW (whether they admit it or not) that she's mentally unstable but they continue to intentionally do things to upset, deceive, and humiliate her. Of course, if she does do something to hurt herself Howard will claim he had no idea she was sick and was only trying to help her.

TheHighHat, Tracy and AllAboutHim Ed like this.
  12. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Agree, and winding up Crazy Alice with the call from Fred's wife this week made me cringe.

She's clearly been abused, physical and sexual, and it just made me sad. That said, I love when she goes after the staff and says what everyone is afraid to say.

It also struck me how fucked up it is making fun of Kirk Douglas after having a stroke.

Tracy, tv910 and Gusbuss like this.
  13. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep, Dick Clark too.

AllAboutHim Ed and Tracy like this.
  14. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wish THSS would pay for periscope for all the whackpackers. Wendy would be worth it by herself.

15. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    Isn't that why we all tuned in for years and some still tune in.
    Howard would allow full retard and then some. He was willing to go places with this that mainstream media / entertainment would not.
    Making fun of and having fun with those less fortunate is a HSS trademark. (marble hoarder probably did trademark it somehow)
    Howard's genius at times would be his ability to make his retard de jour seem to be in on the jokes. Whether real or just perceived that way it seemed to work.

I think things got a bit to real with some of his retards over time and the new PC Howard is what we have today.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    If Beth wasn't married to Howard, she could be a wackpacker. Beth the cat lady?

17. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    What you say is true....but the thing is it always felt (at least to me) that Howard also was taking these people under his wing in the past. He seemed protective of them and even a little concerned for them at times. Maybe I was naive.
    The newer "evolved" Howard (who has even changed some of their names to be more politically correct) is actually more curt with them, seems more removed from them and is downright mean at times. I'm thinking about how he treated Nicole Bass after her shoplifting incident and when Elephant Boy came into the studio kind of recently.
    It used to feel like he was laughing with them and it really now feels like he's laughing at them.
    Could it be that my perception of him changing has changed how I view his interaction with them? Or has Hollywood Howie truly grown to believe he is so much better than these people? There really seems to be a coldness there when he speaks to them, be it Jeff the Drunk or or even Beetlejuice. Has anyone else picked up on this?
    Instead of showing concern over Nicole Bass' state of mind and finances that led her to do what she did, he ridiculed her for not getting a job (perhaps rightfully-so but there was zero empathy in their interaction) and he was relentless in picking on Elephant Boy over his fanny pack and outfit and cut him off any time he tried to make a joke. "Let us take care of the comedy here, ok?" There was just nothing funny about having these people on the show when their only purpose seemed to be to serve as punching bags for an elitist billionaire. It seems a far cry from the way he once interacted with Hank, Crack Head Bob or even Eric the Actor. Maybe because he won't pick on and bully celebrities anymore he has to filter that aggression elsewhere...:dontknow:

TheHighHat and Bristol Chicken like this.
  18. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sal making fun of Beth was off limits...

that was when I had a problem with it....it's fine to goof on people with real problems they can't control but not fine to make fun of a "model".

make fun of everyone....only picking on the weak is really freakin weak.

Guacamole, TheHighHat and Tracy like this.
  19. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    There is a definitive line between the old Howard and the new PC Howard. As Howard moved ever slowly into the mainstream, changing his wife, changing his appearance, the acquiring of FU money, becoming the wannabe and somewhat successful Hollywood A lister.............. all of these things have required him to change the way he deals with the retards or Whack pack if you will.
    I sincerely believe there was a time Howard felt a kindred spirit with the whacktards and as you said took them under his wing. Howard was (and still is) by his own admission a gangly, awkward, gargoyle, pelican looking freak show. He held court with the whacktards and it made for great entertainment.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the current show as I have not heard it in almost a year and was listening less and less up to that point. Your theory definitely sounds plausible as to the why on how he treats the whacktards currently.

TheHighHat and Tracy like this.
  20. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pedro's "From The Archives" thread today included a psychological profile of Howard based on the content of his book "Private Parts". It fits perfectly with his treatment of people with disabilities:

Obsessive compulsive: bullying, voyeuristic, self-centered.
    Narcissistic: exploitative, especially with women; adolescent sexual fantasies; lacks a sense of empathy.
    Histrionic: must be center of attention; seductive, interjecting sex into nearly every conversation.
    Passive-aggressive: argumentative and uncooperative.
    Enjoys having power over people, is highly amused by the suffering of others . . . Sadistic tendencies based on his own sense of shame . . . needs therapy . . . .