Farewell to the Original Video-on-Demand

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Nov 7, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Blockbuster’s Demise: Farewell to the Original Video-on-Demand[/h]

[​IMG]

Dish Network Corp.’s planned closure of the remaining 300 Blockbuster stores still operating in the U.S. is an end of an era for the entertainment industry. The fact that the news came the day that Twitter is pricing its initial public offering seems vaguely symbolic, highlighting just how much the analog world is giving way to Web-centric lifestyles.
    As anyone over the age of 30 might remember, Blockbuster was a big deal in its early years, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when the idea of renting video cassettes to watch a movie at home was the only way to watch something “on demand†(a phrase that wasn’t really in use at that time).
    Built up from humble origins by entrepreneur Wayne Huizenga, Blockbuster grew into a goliath with more than 5,500 stores in the U.S. and offshoots overseas. Mr. Huizenga smartly cashed out early, selling the chain to Sumner Redstone’s Viacom Inc. in 1994. Before too long the transition from videocassettes to DVDs had begun, the first of many technological innovations that would undermine the chain and bring competitors into the market.
    While some of those alternatives, such as video on demand services offered on cable, took a while to take off, the growth of Web streaming services made old fashioned rental of movies in physical form seem antiquated.
    Blockbuster, both under oversight of Viacom and after it was spun out as a separate company a few years ago, tried many and various things to diversify. Invariably it was too little, too late – after Netflix Inc. pioneered letting people rent DVDs through the mail, for instance, Blockbuster copied it without as much success. After being spun out of Viacom, activist investor Carl Icahn got involved and he too couldn’t save it.
    Blockbuster ended up filing for bankruptcy protection in 2010. What was left coming out of the bankruptcy reorganization got snatched up by satellite TV operator Dish Network in 2011 for a couple of hundred million dollars. Almost immediately it began culling stores to reduce losses, a process that is now concluding.
    Dish says it continues “to see value in the Blockbuster brand,†which it plans to use in its digital offerings. And 50 stores operated by franchisees will remain open in the U.S. For most Americans, however, the days of going down to Blockbuster to pick up a movie are about to end forever.

2. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Late fees again?
    [​IMG]

3. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    Don't forget the rewind charges.

[​IMG]

4. crazypreacher

crazypreacher reDragon Gold

Reputations:
    Eighteen y/o's in tight khakis.

:gig:
    :bigcry:

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lasted longer than Howard TV

badda-bing

6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

never figured out how they had their whole name on half a ticket stub :scratch:

7. luvsimpsons

luvsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Awww that's kinda sad. I remember the big thing was to rent movies in the 80s and 90s. Getting a VCR was a big thing and then renting movies for a Saturday night, that was major. I remember the first movies we rented were Back To The Future and The Golden Child. Good times. Awww now I'm sad, it brings back so many memories. I'm going to go and cry now :bigcry:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. HowardsNeckFlap

HowardsNeckFlap New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    you're old

9. luvsimpsons

luvsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not that old, I'm 33. I was a little kid in the 80s.

10. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    33? 100 years ago you'd be dead by now.

But seriously, fuck Blockbuster. Like $5 per rental, I heard they had the opportunity to purchase Netflix in 2000 but declined. Dumbasses.

11. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    DVDs and Blu-rays= pfffft, free thx to BitTorrent...take care brush your hair fucking $5 plus late fee motherfuckers

12. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Am I the only one who'd rather throw that whopping $1.08 at the RedBox versus waiting 6 hours for an HD rip that some douchebag left the subtitles burned in on?

13. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    fuck 'em. blockbuster's put out 10,000s mom 'n' pop video stores.

this would be like mourning the passing of walmart.

14. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    6 hours? You might want to get a web upgrade, you can pull down a HD rip in 15-20min or better these days. :secret:

15. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

Yeah they did, but it's more like the end of an era with the final death.

16. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    There was a business article around Christmas predicting the death of some major historic name brands this year including places like Sears.

J.C. Penny has been on life support, but is just now getting some life back.

I do remember Blockbuster being listed on there.

17. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    No adult section either!

18. jgard

jgard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Redbox? Have fun driving to a kiosk while potentially getting robbed for your efforts

19. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yep, but this was back when movies were worth watching. Sure there were shit ones also, but at least there were SOME great movies.

Good riddance, fuck 'em.

20. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I still remember the day that my old man finally got a Blockbuster card and took us all down to rent movies/games. I grew up with a local mom and pop shop, but this was a huge fucking deal for me at the time. Blockbuster was like this wonderland where there were dozens of new releases and video games that the local shop would never carry. It was fucking great!

Within six months every member of my family hated the place. Bullshit late fees, new releases that were never available, awful customer service and just a generally shitty vibe. As soon as they drove the mom and pop shops out they became the biggest dicks to deal with. I ended up working there one summer when I was 18. The manager would keep us from scanning shit in the drop box from about 11AM to 1. Customers would bitch and moan about the late fees, but unless they threw a shit fit, we were told not to budge. If a customer called in to see if a certain title was available, we were told to say it was in even if it wasn't..Then we were told to lie and say somebody rented it right after they called...because the customer was still likely to rent something to justify the trip.

Fuck 'em.