FAST !! (as in don't eat)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Getthepoisonout, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    Pretty interesting information on benefits of fasting when it comes to weight, diabetes, overall health. This topic is not something I really ever thought about or knew about until very recently but it seems like a good idea. I have tried several day fasts (eat dinner, skip breakfast, lunch and then eat dinner again). Fast was rather easy to do, still drank tea, coffee, water.

share you experiences here.

Book is by Dr. Fung - The Obesity Code.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    hsdramaqueen and ShutUpSitDown like this.
  2. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I hate missionary threads. Religion has no place here.

3. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Here is another good video talking about fasting and positive effects on the brain. Pretty interesting stuff.

hsdramaqueen and sumtexan like this.
  4. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Good point, I have changed the title and first thread, made this more about information sharing and sharing of experiences.

5. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    ignore me. i was hungry when i posted earlier. i needed a snickers, but i'm trying to lose weight and only had coffee.

Getthepoisonout likes this.
  6. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    I did a full day fast yesterday. Had some water, tea, coffee and thats it until 7pm dinner. Its the 3rd time I have done it in 3 weeks. So far down 3.5 lbs. Was pretty easy and honestly after a while did not feel hungry at all. Energy was generally fine all day. Going to do it again on Wednesday.

If you watched the video the reason this works is because when you diet the "regular" way by restricting calories over time your body reduces its base metabolic rate (i.e. you burn way less calories) so eventually when you cheat on your diet you gain back all the weight. With intermittent fasting the body never has time to adjust so your metabolic rate stays high in the pre-fasting state and with you start to burn fat during the fast when your body runs out of the glycogen that it lives on when you eat a regular 3 meals a day plus snacks diet.

hsdramaqueen, Tracy and sumtexan like this.
  7. hsdramaqueen

hsdramaqueen It takes horns to hold up my halo Gold

Reputations:
    @Tracy - ITT is the video @Getthepoisonout was talking about. I don't know if any of it addresses low blood sugar issues. I still need to watch it. But I was just sharing that I was able to do it that one day. And I'm going to keep trying it. :)

I'm sure this is a duh comment, but thought I'd say this too:
    I do notice if I don't drink at night it's much easier to fast or not overeat the next day. I could never give up booze for good. I have 4 teenagers, and it's a much needed numbing break from reality at this point :c.
    But even not having a glass of wine the night before the fast and the day of made me feel like I don't need one as often as I have it.
    Thanks again @Getthepoisonout ! :)

Tracy likes this.
  8. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Yes it addresses blood sugar issues, mostly around type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

hsdramaqueen and Tracy like this.
  9. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm very interested in this kind of stuff. I maintain a healthy weight but am always interested in healthful living and nutrition (and my husband could use some help) I've been fascinated by the ketogenic stuff for some time

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  10. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    OK so here is something else that I found at the same conference where the video above was filmed. This has to do with low carb diets and its really interesting. I have just purchased the book and reading now.

This is about low carb, high fat, normal protein diets. Ketogenic Diet.

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  11. This_Little_Piggy

This_Little_Piggy New Member

Reputations:
    I do this twice a week, fast for the day and have a sensible dinner. It's called the 5:2 diet. I mainly drink water but will also have a green juice or two depending on my mood. I probably shouldn't do the juice because of the calories involved, but I try to compensate with a smaller dinner.
    Here's a link to a small ebook with info about it.

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  12. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:

I hav heRd of 5 :2 and hear it is very good. Best of luck with it.

13. low selfestitle

low selfestitle Moderator Staff Member

Reputations:
    Doing the 16:8 to trim up for a race at the end of the month. A week in and pretty happy with the results. :up:

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  14. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    Noice!

15. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    @Tracy - just wondering if you started on Keto ?

16. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    No. I'm not really trying to lose weight so much as maintain where I'm at. My husband actually struggles with his weight so a lot of times I'm gleaning info for him. He's always done the "biggest loser" style diet so I found the fasting video really interesting and helpful and shared it with him. So far it isn't something he has been willing to try though :confused:. He can be very stubborn.

I do bulletproof style coffee every morning though and I do love the energy it gives me. I tend to find I can go longer before eating again when I do it and just feel leaner in general when I'm consistent with it. Were I to become overweight at all I would definitely try the fasting. It makes perfect sense.

Is the keto what you do? Or the fasting? Are you asking about the Keto diet because I had mentioned it before? Is the fasting considered part of Keto..?

I'm honestly not super familiar with Keto. I only have heard that it has to do with eating more fat in order to burn fat. That piques my curiousity because I could always change my body composition, whereas I don't have many pounds to spare. ( as it is my doctor gives me a hard time about my lowish BMI-I have a tiny frame & a fast metabolism. I am not anorexic-I don't even look it-but that dumb BMI chart means I have to convince him of this every visit :rolleyes:)

hsdramaqueen likes this.
  17. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:

Right now I am just fasting one day per week. I would like to switch to a Keto diet (high fat, low carb, normal protein) not really for weight loss (although I could lose a small amount) but just for overall heath. My understanding is that you will not lose much weight if you eat enough, however, they do say people with very low BMI should be careful on it. From what I am reading every person has a different tolerance for carb. You are insulin sensitive so can tolerate lots of carb and you will not get fat while your husband is somewhat insulin insensitive so he can tolerate much less carb.

hsdramaqueen and Tracy like this.
  18. Getthepoisonout

Reputations:
    I think the bulletproof coffee is something you only want to do on non-fast days. As soon as you have it you would have broken the fast. You should check out more information on the low carb high fat diets as they seem to positively impact high blood pressure. Just remember if you do go this way you have to increase your salt intake, even though that is counter intuitive on a normal diet because your liver flushes out salt on this diet.

Tracy likes this.
  19. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    @hsdramaqueen

You could certainly do bulletproof coffee on fasting days. The high fat is conducive to ketogenic diet. Here is a little more info on it:
    Bulletproof intermittent fasting: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/
    bulletproof diet results: http://www.quantifiedbob.com/2014/09/bulletproof-diet-intermittent-fasting-1-5-year-results/

I have never tried bone broth. Sounds disgusting :jj:

If you are running consistently, you probably don't want to starve yourself too much. You need fats: avocados, olive oil, cheese even... Avoid bread, avoid desserts, don't go overboard with fruit..

You could get a lot of good ideas for food (especially recipes) if you google paleo recipes, ketogenic meals. you don't have to follow those diets strictly, but you could incorporate a lot of them in your diet.

If you get into smoothies, make kale shakes -- not fruit smoothies.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    hsdramaqueen likes this.
  20. hsdramaqueen

hsdramaqueen It takes horns to hold up my halo Gold

Reputations:
    Ok thank you for responding!! I knew the high fat diets were a thing but I had not heard that about the salt intake. I will consider it.
    I really don't want to get to get too caught up in any one diet all the time. Maybe I will have to eventually. But I want to be able to cheat at least one weekend day :D

Last edited: May 19, 2016