Entertainment Fastest roller coasters in the US

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, May 19, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Fastest roller coasters in the US
    By Nicole Rupersburg

Published May 19, 2015
    • [​IMG]
      Knott's Berry Farm

There’s nothing more American than a ride on a roller coaster, and the U.S. has some of the best in the world.

American engineers are constantly designing more interactive and hair-raising experiences: The Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey offers the world’s highest and biggest drop, and Full Throttle at Six Flags Magic Mountain in California has the world’s biggest loop.

But it's no secret that Americans have a need for speed, and that's as evident in our roller coasters as it is anywhere else. Strap yourself in and secure all loose items: These are the 10 fastest roller coasters in the U.S.

• 10. Xcelerator – 82 mph
      [​IMG]
      Knott's Berry Farm

Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif.
      With a 1950s Grease and greaser theme, Xcelerator looks way more innocent than it is. Using a hydraulic launch to rocket you from zero to 82 mph in 2.3 seconds, this rockin' coaster shoots you straight into the air and back down again at a 90-degree angle for one minute and two whole seconds of pure adrenaline

• 9. Goliath – 85 mph
      [​IMG]
      Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, Calif.

This hypercoaster features a 255-foot drop into an underground tunnel, which you will take at 85 mph, followed by another drop of 185 feet. During this 3-minute ride through ancient ruins, you'll experience weightlessness as well as a g-force of 4.5 g. The ride is closed while awaiting a new lift chain, but you can keep yourself occupied until it reopens with the new Twisted Colossus wood-steel hybrid coaster opening this spring.

• 8. Phantom's Revenge – 85 mph
      [​IMG]
      Kennywood

Kennywood, West Mifflin, Pa.

This modest amusement park in Pittsburgh's burbs has a wicked surprise in store for you: Phantom's Revenge, a 1-minute and 45-second ride that features a 232-foot drop and a top speed of 85 mph. It might be "America's Favorite Traditional Amusement Park" since 1898, but Kennywood is definitely keeping up with the times.

• 7. Titan – 85 mph
      [​IMG]
      Six Flags Over Texas

Six Flags Over Texas, Arlington, Texas

Not just a hypercoaster, but a hyper twisted coaster, Titan drops you 255 feet, then twists you through not one but two mind-warping 540-degree spirals, then continues through banked turns at 85 mph on the 5,312-foot track, for a grand total of 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

• 6. Intimidator 305 – 90 mph
      [​IMG]
      Kings Dominion

Kings Dominion, Doswell, Va.

We have now crossed the 90 mph threshold with Intimidator305, This one-ups the ante not by a little, but by a lot: Not only does it reach a top speed of 90 mph, but it also has a 300-foot drop at an 85-degree angle.

• 5. Millennium Force – 93 mph
      [​IMG]
      Cedar Point

Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

This coaster is so huge, it created a whole new coaster category: the giga-coaster. This 300-foot, 93 mph monster gets you up its first hill quickly with an elevator cable lift system, then drops you down at an 80-degree angle. And that's just the beginning of this 2-minute thrill ride.

• 4. Fury 325 – 95 mph
      [​IMG]
      Carowinds

Carowinds, Charlotte, N.C.

The brand-new Fury 325 is the world's tallest and fastest giga-coaster. Taller than the Statue of Liberty, this "hornet's nest of rebellion" is 325 feet tall, goes 95 miles per hour and has a staggering length of 6,602 feet. That adds up to a ride time of 3 minutes and 25 seconds.

• 3. Superman: Escape from Krypton – 100 mph
      [​IMG]
      Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, Calif.

Maybe not quite faster than a speeding bullet but still pretty damn fast, Superman: Escape from Krypton shoots you from 0 to 100 mph in seven seconds flat, straight up 415 feet in the air at a perfect 90-degree angle – backwards. After experiencing weightlessness for 6.5 seconds, you plummet down at 92 mph. You don't have to be the Man of Steel, but you'll certainly want a stomach of steel for this one.

• 2. Top Thrill Dragster – 120 mph
      [​IMG]
      Cedar Point

Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Get ready to have your face peeled off and don't forget to re-collect your innards on your way out. Top Thrill Dragster, one of only two strata coasters in the world, features a hydraulic launch that shoots you through the time-space continuum from a dead stop to 120 mph in four seconds, straight up into the sky 420 feet and twisting straight back down again. It will be the worst/best 17 seconds of your life.

• 1. Kingda Ka – 128 mph
      [​IMG]
      Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, N.J.

Better bring a change of underwear for this one. Kingda Ka, the other stratacoaster, is the tallest, fastest, most insane roller coaster in North America, as well as the world's tallest and second-fastest. (The 149 mph Formula Rossa in the United Arab Emirates is the world’s champ.) The King, also using a hydraulic launch, shoots riders out at 128 mph in 3.5 seconds to a height of 456 feet at a 90-degree angle, and back down in a 270-degree spiral, followed by a 129-foot camel hump hill, presumably to allow your brain time to register what just happened before you return to the platform.

Honorable mention:

Goliath – 72 mph

Six Flags Great American, Gurnee, Ill.

At a top speed of 72 mph, Goliath at Six Flags Great American is no match for the top 10, but it does have the distinction of being the world's tallest, fastest and steepest wooden roller coaster. And that definitely deserves mention.

codeine, smichal, ummm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That Fury 325 at Carowinds just opened this year but in the last 2 months it's had issues, I think at least 3, maybe 4 times it's stopped going up hill and they've had to come and evacuate everyone from it lol. Sunday we were taking my nephew to a baseball tournament in Rock Hill SC and you drive by Carowinds on the way, HOLY HELL that sucker is tall...I can't take heights so it about made me nauseous just driving by it lol..

Dirty South and Lemmy like this.
  3. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I max out on disney coasters. West mifflin, pa , doswell, va and sandusky, oh sound like nice hell holes to die in. I'm sure they attract the brightest young minds to supervise the safety.

reno and AmishGirl like this.
  4. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    Of those, I've only been on Kingda Ka... I also have seen it closed for "repairs" more than once.

I haven't been to Great Adventure in years, though.

5. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    "Robin, why would people ride these, some beautiful soup and watercolors are much more evolved."

6. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've never understood the allure of roller coasters. What is so enjoyable about having your guts thrown around inside your body to the point of vomiting, scrambling your brains and getting the shit scared out of you too?

smichal, Hollywood_Gunk and AmishGirl like this.
  7. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sandusky Ohio what a unfortunate name

Petal and Captain like this.
  8. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Well than, let me try to explain it to you ...
    1. You get your guts thrown around inside your body to the point of vomiting.
    2. You get to scrambe your brains.
    3. You get the shit scared out of you too.

9. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is about as crazy as I get. 55 mph. Good enough for me.

[​IMG]

smichal likes this.
  10. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Kingda Ka was so violent not fun at all....it starts like 0-100 in 3 seconds, it snaps your neck.

smichal likes this.
  11. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah Disney coasters are enough for me. I got queezy on then aerosmith rock and roll one at Disney.
    Also being 6'4 , its always a tight fit making it less fun.

smichal likes this.
  12. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anybody been on the one at the California Nevada state line? fucking thing gives you the worst whiplash possible

Rockside7 likes this.
  13. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Took my then 10 year old step-daughter on the Millenium Force at Cedar Point for her first roller coaster ride ever...not bad! We went on the Top Thrill Dragster as well. The one in New Jersey (Kingda Ka) looks like about the same ride as The Dragster just a little faster.

14. buried20kleague

buried20kleague Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Years ago I was a "lead" on a major coaster at my local Six Flags for a handful of years. Oh, the stories I have. Insane stories. Crazy. Stuff from both when the park was open, and after it closed for the day too. I tell these stories to friends still from time to time over drinks and jaws are just on the floor.

I will say that it was also the most fun job I ever had. If it were a real "career" and was paid well, I'd absolutely still be doing it. God, I loved that job.

smichal, XaltedSmoke and Gusbuss like this.
  15. buried20kleague

Reputations:
    I believe it's about 20 feet taller too.

16. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    I've been on the Xcelerator, Goliath and Superman, all of which were insane and awesome.

smichal and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  17. buried20kleague

Reputations:
    Little known fact... Steel coasters are designed to be smooth. When you get that whiplash feeling, it's because of poor maintenance on the wheels. Since it's not generally a safety issue, but rather a quality issue, it's often put off as long as possible.

If you're on a steel coaster that's smooth, it means they're giving the wheels plenty of attention, like they should be... And you're probably at a park that's doing well, because they've got the budget money to keep things properly maintained.

smichal and XaltedSmoke like this.
  18. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :munch: we're all listening

XaltedSmoke and Dirty South like this.
  19. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well, I agree with him there.... :hat:

Shortwave98 likes this.
  20. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've reached the unfortunate age at which all theme parks rides make me dizzy.

In fact, bending down makes me dizzy.

Maybe I should see a doctor.