Fear of Being Committed May Have Caused Lanza to Snap

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kamie, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    NEWTOWN, Conn. – The gunman who slaughtered 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, according to a lifelong resident of the area who was familiar with the killer’s family and several of the victims’ families.
    Adam Lanza, 20, targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after killing his mother early Friday because he believed she loved the school “more than she loved him,†said Joshua Flashman, 25, who grew up not far from where the shooting took place. Flashman, a U.S. Marine, is the son of a pastor at an area church where many of the victims' families worship.
    “From what I've been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed," Flashman told FoxNews.com. "Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.â€
    A senior law enforcement official involved in the investigation confirmed that Lanza's anger at his mother over plans for “his future mental health treatment†is being looked at as a possible motive for the deadly shooting.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...sed-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FREZEJpJ

2. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Then there's this, which is actually quite sad
    The Washington Post reported that the distraught mother had considered moving with her son to Washington state, where she had found a school she thought could help him. Either way, according to Flashman, Nancy Lanza was at her wit's end.
    A separate neighborhood source also told FoxNews.com that Nancy Lanza had come to the realization she could no longer handle her son alone. She was caring for him full-time, but told friends she needed help. She was planning to have him involuntarily hospitalized, according to the source, who did not know if she had taken formal steps.

3. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    Interesting. Dealing with mentally ill family members is an incredible challenge. It's hard to know if something is going to help or push them over the edge.

4. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Wow, so she kept those firearms available to the guy even though she was trying to have him put in a padded room?

Personal story here, my wife's mother just got away from her husband. It's her second husband. The guy is fucked up, has PTSD, severe injuries from combat-service, pills to treat the physical and mental traumas, and is, at times, crazy. He'll wake up from a nightmare and tear the bedroom up. He's attacked his wife, not badly enough to leave injuries, but bad enough to terrify her.

Anyways, she finally got out. She called the cops to be present as she got out of the house. This is after they've been called out to the house a few times. They refused to come out to oversee her getting out.

There is a problem with the system, for sure. There is another side to the coin, too. What if someone wants to discredit someone else? What if someone wants to make shit up? My ex-wife threatened to allege that I hit her when I sought a divorce. "I'll make it look good", she said. And she is by all accounts otherwise sane but found herself in a situation she could not handle rationally.

So, had she made good on her threat, maybe reddened a cheek and alleged I slapped her, would it have been "justice" to be an accused wife-beater?

It's a real catch-22.

5. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Believe me, if you think that's fucked up, you should see how our prison systems work. I used to be a prison guard, and there was a kid who had done 10 years on some kind of manslaughter charge for murdering his sister's baby (and he was fucked up, he bit me two different times and threw jizz at me) and like all other prisoners, when he got out they just dropped him off at a bus stop with a bus ticket to his last known address. He actually said a couple of times that he didn't want to live on the outside anymore, and he would just do something to get sent back as soon as they let him out. I don't know if he did or not as I got fired not long after, but that kind of thing happens every day.

6. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How do you get fired from a job where people bite you and throw jizz on you? I assume you are glad to be out of there...

7. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Well it sounds like your MIL made it out ok, thank God. At any rate, it is definitely a conundrum. Mentally ill people have rights. They have the right to be crazy. It is very difficult to have someone deemed a danger to themselves or others, and I'm sure if Adam Lanza's mother was posting on this board (Feltspot? Chriza?) she would agree. It is much easier to have someone arrested for domestic violence than it is to have someone put away, even temporarily, for psychological issues. In NJ, a psychologist cannot even have someone "committed". It has to be a psychiatrist. It's tough. It would be great if we could enact a law that could make all this go away - poof! People want instant results, but all I can say is that there is something very foul about our society in general. What is it about the US that makes this happen more frequently than in other countries? Also, I read that these types of crimes are usually perpetrated by young, white upper-middle class men.

The article made me have a pang of sympathy for the mother. She was in an impossible situation. The one criticism I have is one that you pointed out: what the fuck was she doing with firearms in the house in that situation? Not just that, but she was taking him to the shooting range to "bond" with him. Hindsight being 20-20, that was a bad idea.

8. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I told this story in the Bar (I think I'm done posting there, though...). Anyway, I worked 3rd shift and most of the time you just had to avoid faling asleep and every 15 minutes walk up and down the area between their beds and make sure nothing is going on. I came up on two inmates who were not in bed, and one of them was performing fellatio on another one. When you see that, you are supposed to tell them to stop, walk them down to your shift supervisor's desk and write them up (basically send them to the hole/segregation). Well, for whatever reason my instinct kicked in, and I pepper sprayed them as soon as I saw it. Needless to say, it's not over the counter pepper spray, it's this stuff called FOX 5 that the military uses. One of them started screaming and rolling on the floor saying "MY DICK!" and the other one puked. I was suspended without pay, and I resigned rather than be fired so it would look better on my record. Just to clarify, they take that stuff seriously, as those inmates could sue over it. I hated the job anyway, so it's all good.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I hope that you were able to get those type of words from her recorded in some fashion.
    ....not that it really would have mattered come cop/law/court time.

So did she follow through with her threats?...I take it that you did seek and follow through with the divorce etc.

10. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    maybe now is the time that the dad should catch some heat.

11. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Nope. There's probably a very good reason he wasn't around.

12. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's really hard to commit someone because in the past so many sane people were committed by families and parents who had an ulterior motive. After what happened at Willowbrook the laws have changed.

13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    The CUNT let her medicated retard get to her legal guns.
    I have no sympathy for her.
    Can we dig her up and kick her in the cunt?

14. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    We went through the divorce but I did so at a profound disadvantage in the division of the estate because I was truly scared of her threats. Funny enough, I didn't legally fight her as hard because I worried she'd make good on the domestic stuff because I didn't want to impede my ability to purchase more firearms. Funny stuff. One of the questions you are asked is whether you've been either accused or convicted of a domestic. . . . I forget because it's been years since I last purchased a firearm. And no, it wasn't a nasty one. It's a simple pump-action shotgun.

So, she didn't follow through with the threats because I played legally nice. I did start recording our conversations after that threat but never got anything good. I even tried to lead her into admitting her threat but she would deny it. I often wonder if she knew I was recording. She knew me well enough to know that after a bullshit threat like that, I'd be recording thereafter.

I got the dog and got to be single. It was incredibly freeing. Funny thing is we reconciled enough later on to become friendly. She re-married and had a kid which was out big dispute in marriage. I realized, and this was unfair to her, that I did not want children. We went into the marriage thinking we'd have at least one kid and I changed my mind which is a helluva problem for a woman hellbent on getting preggers. She did get preggers but miscarried and I celebrated.

There was enough blame to go around. I was an asshole about it. That said, I never hit her. She knew it, I knew it, but she also knew she was at a legal advantage if she were to accuse me of such a thing.

It's probably why I make so much fun of domestic violence now. When you are threatened with false-accusations about it, you tend to get downright cynical about it.

15. Lola

Lola little-known member

Reputations:
    I doubt she was buried yet. :munch:
    Maybe you could drive up and kick her in the cunt before or during the funeral .

16. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    The MIL did get out and is doing very well. Her health was taking a beating because of the guy. She even had a heart-attack (she's 54) probably due to the stress of the situation.

I had a boss whose kid was an Aspy. He was bullied at school and had violent thoughts, was allowed to watch sexually-violent anime, all that shit. She and her husband had a couple rifles (the husband's late father was a sharpshooter, won competitions, etc, and bequeathed the paps the stuff when he died) and they removed the firearms from the house after noting the troubles.

They weren't perfect parents of a difficult kid, but they did the right thing with the guns. It seems like an easy decision, but I hate to blame a murdered mother, too. Tough situation.

It's too bad many are playing politics with this tragedy.

17. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is exactly right. I've seen it firsthand. There's this grey area where a person can be too disfunctional to hold down a job or take care of themselves, but not quite to the extreme that they can be reported to the police with the claim that they're a danger to themselves or others -- not without lying anyway and thats asking for trouble. And even then an involuntary commitment is only a 72hr hold. But the problem is that they often also refuse to take any meds or see any counselors, because they often believe they aren't crazy and its everyone else thats crazy and out to get them.

And generally speaking the next step in the process to escalate a solution is petitioning the court for power of attorney which is what it sounds like this woman was trying to do. Problem there is when they're under the same roof as the petitioner, the ill person is then served those court documents at the same address which obviously can create a conflict.

Trying to get someone some help can be an incredible nightmare to say the least, and oftentimes a catch 22 with no easy or simple solution due to the complexity and grey areas of laws in this area.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  18. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The first thing I thought of when I started reading about the family history is that the kid must have been a real handful. Dad split in 2001 and paid her 250,000 annually plus the house. That puts Adam Lanza at around 9 years old when he left. By most accounts, she didn't appear to be an awful person, so it may well have been that a difficult son drove him away.

19. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    But why waste the kids? They didn't have the power or intention to commit him.

20. 922Wine

922Wine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]