FBI has gotten into iPhone used by San Bernardino shooter, no longer needs Apple’s help BY Nancy Dillon, Sasha Goldstein NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Updated: Monday, March 28, 2016, 11:01 PM ERIK S. LESSER/EPA The FBI has accessed the iPhone (not shown) used by San Bernardino terrorist Syed Farook. The FBI has found its way into a locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters, allowing the feds to drop a court case against Apple compelling the tech giant to break into the cell phone. "The FBI is currently reviewing the information on the phone, consistent with standard investigatory procedures," the Justice Department said in a statement after a Monday court filing announced the breakthrough. The new filing, minus details of who got into the phone and how, comes just a week after the FBI said it had found a possible way into the device, used by Syed Farook and owned by his employer, San Bernardino County. The agency had worked fruitlessly since the Dec. 2 terror attack to break into the phone and had gone to court to compel Apple to come up with new technology to hack into the device it manufactures. Apple refused, citing privacy concerns and sparking a public back-and-forth on issues of security and privacy. "This case should never have been brought," the tech giant said in a statement released Monday night. "We will continue to help law enforcement with their investigations, as we have done all along, and we will continue to increase the security of our products as the threats and attacks on our data become more frequent and more sophisticated." FBI HAS NEW WAY TO HACK INTO IPHONE WITHOUT APPLE'S HELP FBI Assistant Director in Charge David Bowdich wouldn’t reveal how the agents cracked into the phone but said "the full exploitation of the phone and follow-up investigative steps are continuing." "My law enforcement partners and I made a commitment to the victims of the 12/2 attack in San Bernardino and to the American people that no stone would be left unturned in this case," he added. US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION / HANDOUT/EPA Syed Rizwan Farook (R) and Tashfeen Malik (L) carried out the shooting massacre Dec. 2 in San Bernardino, Calif. The government was expected to argue in court that it has a valid warrant to search the cell phone found in Farook's black Lexus after the massacre - and that the All Writs Act of 1789 gave the court the power to force Apple's cooperation. Apple, meanwhile, was expected to argue that forcing it to create a "backdoor" capable of bypassing the phone's encryption would set a dangerous precedent and undermine security for millions of users. The company had claimed the All Writs Act doesn't apply and new legislation is needed. It also has argued that computer code is a form of speech, and forcing the company to rewrite or weaken an operating system would violate its First Amendment rights. "If the government can use the All Writs Act to make it easier to unlock your iPhone, it would have the power to reach into anyone's device to capture your data," Cook said in a letter to users last month. "The government could extend this breach of privacy and demand that Apple build surveillance software to intercept your messages, access your health records or financial data, track your location, or even access your phone's microphone or camera without knowledge," he wrote. Federal officials have scoffed at this doomsday scenario. They say Apple has complied with search warrants enforced under the All Writs Act in the past, and if the company is allowed to push back now, the public will have to change its expectations about law enforcement. Terrorists Farook, 28, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 27, killed 14 people in the massacre at a holiday party.