Feeling "Punked" by Wed's plug for "Hoarders"?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Mr Ed, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    Was listening to Wed's show.

Did anyone else feel "punked" by Wednesday's "first guest" ?

The bit started out with Howard rehashing Gary's story, from last year, about Gary throwing out all of his mothers stuff, after his father died, and then throwing his mother into a nursing home. Initially, it sounded like Howard was doing damage control / revising history, so that Gary wouldn't sound so evil.

(When the story was first related, last year, to promote Gary's paperback, Gary really sounded like an evil shitstain, getting revenge on his mother, by parking a dumpster outside the window, literally throwing stuff out the window, hearing things smashing inside the dumpster, and making fun of his mother for crying & whimpering as her stuff was being destroyed. At the time, I remember thinking: "Someone really needs to call Adult Protective Services and report this motherfucker.")

So, Howard retells the story Wed morning, making it sound less evil, while at the same time, making Gary's mother sound more demented. Then, Ronnie & Gary come running into the studio and add details, each trying to one up the other over how crazy their mothers were. Then, some asshole caller on the phone starts talking, authoritatively, about how sick these people are and how much they need therapy.

And then the lions came.[SUP]1[/SUP]

It turned out the dick on the phone was a house cleaning ex-con gambling addict, who, just happened, to be on TV. "Don't forget to watch the season finale of "Hoarders" this Monday Night, on A & E."

Fuck You, Howard. Eat Shit and Die.

The whole goddamn bit was just a plug for a TV show. Jesus Christ, Howard. Can't anything real happen on the show? Does anyone remember entertaining? It's all about the fucking marbles.

Remember this in the future. Whenever an interesting topic starts being discussed, out of the blue, it's probably going to turn into an advertisement.

Punked again, Howard. You got me.

The worst part? I have no idea whether Garry & Ronnie were telling anything even resembling the truth, or if the entire bit was a lie. And, if it was a lie this year, it must have been a lie, last year, the first time they trotted this nag out of the stall.

What did the Bethman call Howchie in regards to AGT? "funny, honest and direct"? Yeah, right.

Footnote:
    1. Years ago, the phrase "And then the lions came" was a commonly used tip off that someone was lying and making excuses. More often than not, it was used sarcastically, as the capper of a lame shaggy dog ate my homework story. I just did a Google[SUP]TM[/SUP] search on it, and did not find any current examples of such usage, so it seemed a footnote was in order.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. MarvelComics85

MarvelComics85 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I swear, DawgsSaloon is like crack cocaine. I try to turn away, but then I miss out on some good posts like this. I may be an addict.

[​IMG]

3. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    "That's the beauty of satellite radio." - Tim S.

Actually, that's the truly evil part of all of this. Someone driving to work, and only hearing the first 10 or 15 minutes of the bit probably got out of the car thinking it was real. Later in the day, either driving home or after getting home, such a person might make a point of listening to the replay to find out what happened, next. That's when they find out the whole thing was a scam. It didn't happen to me, this way, this time. But it could happen. Howard FUCKS his listeners.

Just another fuckin' ad for another fuckin' "reality" TV show. No wonder Howard kept plugging the 47,000 pounds of shit. It was a bullet point within the plug.

"I'm the most honest man in radio, Robin." "I'm too honest, that's my problem"
    - Howchie "The Lyin' King" Stern

4. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    During the Listening Thread, many of us were speculating/insisting that it was a commercial. Just as we did with that creepy Craig's List fuck.

5. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, the Craig's List Konqueror (KDE web browser) was clearly an advertisement. Some schmuck selling a book. They mentioned the book right off.

The "Hoarders" TV plug was much more stealthy.

6. illini fan

illini fan New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Same shit as "Mr. Skin"...Paid plugs disguised as interviews...

...The Castrated one will do anything for a buck.........

7. Cawn

Cawn Active Member

Reputations:
    At the time of airing, I remember in my mind thinking 112 Productions is extending an olive branch to AETV for Bobo's Dog the Bounty Hunter fuck up. I even went as far as wondering why A&E would waste a promo on an already highly rated series for a season finale instead of an up-n-coming series that needed a premiere boost. A&E, History Channel, Discovery and other cable box stations that run daily marathons of their bread-n-butter nighttime series rarely need promoting due to such heavy rotation and long viewing options.

You're spot-on with Howard setting up lead-ins with longer arcs. Probably in the last two years it's been unbearably noticeable.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    i liked the interview, but u r right -- it seems like many "guests" are paid spots -- u can tell because he interviews them differently than actual guests

9. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    well he is a jew after all and they are notoriously cheap

10. ianthepeon

ianthepeon Member

Reputations:
    I usually would enjoy piling on.....however......every guest that comes on Stern, Letterman etc. is there to plug either a movie/tv show/book.

11. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just like that movie "The Grey". The first time Howard mentioned how much he loved it, he brought it up out of the blue when they weren't discussing anything related to it. No ads had run on H100/101 yet but I remember thinking it sounded like a paid plug and it was strange Howard (the animal lover) would enjoy a movie where wolves are killed. Sure enough, the next day ads started running during the show. It's so obvious his opinions are for sale I can't believe anyone would see a movie, watch a TV show, or buy a product he recommended.

12. JustAddWater

JustAddWater Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good point...Stern fans are just
    to in the know with the show.
    We see right thru everything. Witty and clever.......;) you peeps are!

13. JustAddWater

JustAddWater Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only thing I ever bought thru Howard are those .....
    Sheets (energy boosters) and They DO work.
    sayin:D

14. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    I didn't take it as a commercial - found the guy really interesting and sincere.

15. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You are confusing Howard being a liar with a person from another show calling to get a plug. Most celebs go on talk shows and radio shows for plugs.

16. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:

Just curious...what "Dog the Bounty Hunter fuck up" are you talking about? I must have missed that.

17. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bobo got in touch with Dog or his wife and made it sound as if he works for the show and they wanted to have them on, which of course was not the case.

18. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    NOTHING gets past the Morning Listening Thread. :jj:

Shit, we catch everything and we have complete sidebar conversations throughout the morning.

19. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    I never had the feeling that Baba was evil in his reaction to his mom. Nor did I feel "punk'd". The guy was a guest and he was plugging his show. Nothing new. It even made me download some episodes. Interesting stuff.

20. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The thing that gets me is that Howard goofed so hard on Michael Jackson's people when they wanted him to stealth promote him. At the time I thought it was funny too. In retrospect I wonder if it was actually Howard's idea and they just weren't offering up enough marbles.